Advice for a retired pilot

Alexb2000

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Alexb2000
I have a good friend that retired from the airlines a few years ago. He got out early while the getting was good, just before they raised the age limits, and the company went bankrupt. He had been reaching for the brass ring since he was about 20 years old so it was quite an accomplishment.

Anyway, like all of us he had big dreams for retirement, hitting the small ball, working on his antique cars, taking it easy, whatever. Problem is he woke up one day and realized he probably wasn't going to die tomorrow, and he could probably stand to earn a little mad money after the market gave all of us a beatin'.

So I've been talking to him about getting back into flying. I believe he really misses it, but at the same time, it's really hard to step back from being an airline captain to, well....anything else in aviation. Not to mention he has no idea how to find a civilian flying job.

He wouldn't mind flying corporate or freight and even being a co-pilot the rest of his life. He doesn't have anything left to prove, but he still feels he has a lot to offer.

He has a typical retired pilots resume, AF and then the airlines, tons of hours and types in large jets. No small jets, TP's, etc. No problem holding a medical.

Any advice is appreciated.

Does he live in a major market locale?
I have a good friend that retired from the airlines a few years ago. He got out early while the getting was good, just before they raised the age limits, and the company went bankrupt. He had been reaching for the brass ring since he was about 20 years old so it was quite an accomplishment.

Anyway, like all of us he had big dreams for retirement, hitting the small ball, working on his antique cars, taking it easy, whatever. Problem is he woke up one day and realized he probably wasn't going to die tomorrow, and he could probably stand to earn a little mad money after the market gave all of us a beatin'.

So I've been talking to him about getting back into flying. I believe he really misses it, but at the same time, it's really hard to step back from being an airline captain to, well....anything else in aviation. Not to mention he has no idea how to find a civilian flying job.

He wouldn't mind flying corporate or freight and even being a co-pilot the rest of his life. He doesn't have anything left to prove, but he still feels he has a lot to offer.

He has a typical retired pilots resume, AF and then the airlines, tons of hours and types in large jets. No small jets, TP's, etc. No problem holding a medical.

Any advice is appreciated.

Yes, DFW, also has a place in SLC. He has pass privileges on AA and Delta so he can get where he needs to be without cost.

DPE in my area is giving 3-5 checkrides a week, at $325 each. Decent living, in addition to whatever pension he may be receiving. Believe he's a retired captain as well.

DFW market for KA and Citation drivers is picking up. He could do KA initial at Rich Air for minimal cost and start looking for some right-seat time. Getting a type is expensive and difficult to justify unless the job is already in hand. He obviously shouldn't have any trouble flying any of the GA airplanes, but the pilot's job duties are significantly different (more inclusive) than those of airline four-stripers.

Yes, DFW, also has a place in SLC. He has pass privileges on AA and Delta so he can get where he needs to be without cost.

DFW market for KA and Citation drivers is picking up. He could do KA initial at Rich Air for minimal cost and start looking for some right-seat time. Getting a type is expensive and difficult to justify unless the job is already in hand. He obviously shouldn't have any trouble flying any of the GA airplanes, but the pilot's job duties are significantly different (more inclusive) than those of airline four-stripers.

We've been discussing that. I don't think he would mind doing a workout for the type rating kind of deal. However, it's hard to just go out and pay for one that might not be a match for whatever job. Have you used Rich Air?

I hear you on the last, I'm going to get him talking to some guys I know that fly cargo so he knows ALL the things that kind of job requires. I've also been flying with him so he learns what it's like to fuel your own aircraft.:)

DPE in my area is giving 3-5 checkrides a week, at $325 each. Decent living, in addition to whatever pension he may be receiving. Believe he's a retired captain as well.

Good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I'll tell him, thanks.

Tough gig to get from what I hear. Gotta be connected with the FSDO or they need to be in a real bind for DPEs.

DPE slots are hard to get, FAA bull**** is ongoing and escalating. I know more guys who are getting out than those wanting to get in.

DPE slots are hard to get, FAA bull**** is ongoing and escalating. I know more guys who are getting out than those wanting to get in.

The FAA has a limit on the number of DPEs? I never knew that -- I always assumed it was something like becoming a CFI, you passed a checkride/test with the FSDO and became a DPE, but it was up to you to build your business.

DPE slots...I know more guys who are getting out than those wanting to get in.

Sounds like a market opportunity to me!

I don't know how big a problem this is, but I'm told opinions of existing DPEs in an FAA region or district carry some weight if they complain about the qualifications or safety records of a new DPE applicant, creating a potential political barrier. I would imagine that access could also be abused to limit competition.

Based on the declining number of new pilot starts and existing pilot upgrades, I'd be willing to debate the merits/opportunity.
Sounds like a market opportunity to me!

I don't know how big a problem this is, but I'm told opinions of existing DPEs in an FAA region or district carry some weight if they complain about the qualifications or safety records of a new DPE applicant, creating a potential political barrier. I would imagine that access could also be abused to limit competition.

FedEx? UPS? DHL?

All part 121 carriers, hence the age limit is still required.( I am assuming from the OP that this fellow is near retirement age) There are still a few (very few) FE seats out there, but a large 121 is not going to hire someone near 65 with the intent on keeping them as an FE.

He could look into the fractionals. I know my company is actively hiring. We have a LOT of guys who fit your friend's description. Two or three weeks ago I flew with a guy who has F-4s, OV-10s, F-15s, and every Boeing United has ever flown in his logbook. Spent his last 8 years at UA home based as a 747-400 check airman. Retired at age 60, just a matter of months before the 65 rule came in. He's been here ever since. We have at least a couple other UA and (that I know of) one or two AA retirees flying here. And no need to buy his own type!

My first reaction to someone like that is, "You're kidding?" Someone has a decent retirement and wants to go back to work? Doing this? We've had a few people come work for us who were in a similar situation. The degree of success depends on their attitude and willingness to adapt. As others have mentioned, the content of the job is different and encompasses many other things besides flying the airplane. It's a decent enough job if you need to work, but it's a little weird for me to think about people doing it for entertainment or something to fill their spare time. :confused: :dunno:

Maybe I'll think differently when I'm a little older...

Nobody who has reached retirement wants to live the pager lifestyle anymore. Pilots spend a lifetime trying to get off of reserve, and corporate guys trade call like it's poison. You can't do ANYTHING while on reserve.

At least in instruction he can set his own hours.

Last edited:
I wish I were only "a little" older, but FWIW I totally agree with you. The only cockpit you'll ever catch me in is one that's going where I want to go, to do what I want to do, and to come home when I'm ready. I'll fly it if I have to, but would just as soon sleep.

My first reaction to someone like that is, "You're kidding?" Someone has a decent retirement and wants to go back to work? Doing this? We've had a few people come work for us who were in a similar situation. The degree of success depends on their attitude and willingness to adapt. As others have mentioned, the content of the job is different and encompasses many other things besides flying the airplane. It's a decent enough job if you need to work, but it's a little weird for me to think about people doing it for entertainment or something to fill their spare time. :confused: :dunno:

Maybe I'll think differently when I'm a little older...

Alex your friend is the perfect candidate for flight instructor at high level flight academies (corporate & airline). He is perfect for FAA DER test pilot. Or in marketing for large airframe manufacturers (Boeing, Embraer or Airbus).

José

Alex your friend is the perfect candidate for flight instructor at high level flight academies (corporate & airline). He is perfect for FAA DER test pilot. Or in marketing for large airframe manufacturers (Boeing, Embraer or Airbus).

José

Thanks. Good ideas.

Based on an earlier post he has been looking at the various FAA designee application process.

He also has a buddy at Flight Safety that he's been talking to as well.

Back