Advice for a flatlander flying into KASE?

It says normal sensing, and the shading is on the right... So follow the needle. :D

ding-ding! Most pilots have seen a hundred backcourse approaches, and every time it says BACKCOURSE right on the plate and you are reverse sensing. This is the only* time I have run across that word BC on the iap where you use normal sensing (because you are outbound on the BC).
[*Ron will be by momentarily to show us one more].
I have always seen that as a potential trip-up if you tend to remember things by association. Right where you need to really not screw up, next to sheer granite walls!
Yes, if you have it dialed in correctly, the needle will come in normally as a clue that no overthinking is needed.
Hey you said "it says normal sensing" - do you mean they now write that on the plate?

After 2300, nobody flies into KASE.
Actually it's no takeoffs after 2230 but you can land until 2300. Air ambulance aircraft are an exception. The public instrument approaches are N/A after the end of "civil twilight" although there are special approaches which you can do at night. You can do a visual approach at night but don't even try it unless you are familiar with the area and stick to the step-downs until you cross that ridge before the FAF. You should also have an escape maneuver. That said, do not try it in your small airplane.

Didn't see the G-III splatter. Is it listed?

I quote, (its not me shouting)
"ASI's accident database includes ONLY accidents involving AIRCRAFT WEIGHING 12,500 POUNDS OR LESS, dating back to 1983."

as a base to fly to some interesting places. Any advice, or suggestions?

Sooo... While you're there, I suggest you fly down to the Page area (1.5 hrs?) for some of the best scenic flying anywhere. Using Page as a base, a half-hour flight will yield everything from the Grand Canyon, to Bryce/Zion, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Marble Canyon, and more! Ditto on morning flying.

KASE Airport is closed 2300-0700 local.

All aircraft must be IFR-equipped from 30 minutes after sunset until 2300. Pilot must be IFR rated even for VFR ops and must have made at least one takeoff and landing at KASE in the preceding 12 months.

Night VMC in the mountains in almost anything isn't too smart.

IMC in the daytime is seriously risky without serious gear and pro crews.

IMC at night is regularly deadly to all.

KASE is a good-weather, VMC and light winds airport for me. Anything else, I'm not going. I'll be on I-70 Westbound in the traffic jam if I need to be up there for something.

Pro crews can push their luck, and often their aircraft, to the limits as their bosses please. Until 2300. Mari may have insights here.

After 2300, nobody flies into KASE.

I've been in and out of Aspen quite a bit at night, and have flown many approaches there day and night.

A lot of operators use the basic criteria that if red table isn't in the clear, one probably shouldn't try the approach. It's conservative, but not a bad choice.

The problem departing is that it can look clear and a billion, but just after clearing the ridge on the left, storms are seen moving down the valley. They can overtake you before you have time to make it back around to land. Always have an out, and always remember the water principle. It may save your life.

We made the approach into Aspen a few hours before the GIII but elected to do the missed and go to Rifle, instead.

You're doubtless aware, of course, that nobody checks one's credentials when flying into Aspen, nor does one need to show a former arrival or departure there.
Sooo... While you're there, I suggest you fly down to the Page area (1.5 hrs?) for some of the best scenic flying anywhere. Using Page as a base, a half-hour flight will yield everything from the Grand Canyon, to Bryce/Zion, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Marble Canyon, and more! Ditto on morning flying.

Kanab is a great place to spend a few days while hitting the local sights, too.

If you're going to do the Grand Canyon, you're better off getting someone local who knows the Canyon, to either sit down and brief you on the airspace and routing, or to go with you.

Marble Canyon can bite you if you don't do narrow, short, and one-way airstrips. So can other canyon airports.

Go to Grand Canyon West and land, and take the tour out to the glass bridge that the Hualapai Indians run. Tours are available at Monument Valley. Zion and Bryce are pretty from the air, but better from the ground. Land at St. George, rent a car, and drive. It's worth taking a couple of days to see each one.

I was a G-V IP/check airman at the training center where many of the VNY-based crews did initial and recurrent training. A notable spfincter tightening of the program management was apparent until the underlying facts surrounding the accident became known. Some of the IP's in the program were also known to check their hole card to see if they had provided training to the crew.

No, Bruce Landsberg conveniently omits it. Here it is:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20010412X00738&ntsbno=DCA01MA034&akey=1

Consider 7V2 for fuel (just overt Mt. gunnison west of Crested Butte, but bring your good game. It's on top of a mesa, surrounded by the tall stuff in every direction. Fuel is always relatively inexpensive there.

Consider 7V2 for fuel (just overt Mt. gunnison west of Crested Butte, but bring your good game. It's on top of a mesa, surrounded by the tall stuff in every direction. Fuel is always relatively inexpensive there.

North Fork Valley is just plain fun to land on. Well worth the trip and ya git cheap gas to boot!

Gotta sorta keep it on the centerline though...

So if you multiply ASEs operations up to the same number of ops as someplace like VNY or APA (similar bizjet traffic) the ratio of ops to accidents is the same? How about ORD? ;) ;) ;)

(Asking out of curiosity. Not sure it really matters since there's a lot of folks who know what ASE is like and simply don't go there, so it "self-selects" as the behavioral scientists would say. And pro crews usually train/brief ASE differently too, as they should... They also know it's not a cakewalk up there. Hard to get an Apples to Apples comparison.)

Someone pointed out that there is no one checking logbooks for the rules up there and I'm sure that's true. It's a regulation like many others that will just be used to hang someone out to dry by insurance company lawyers against the Estate and employer if the accident was fatal, and by the FAA if it wasn't. ;) There's lots of high-powered lawyers available to the typical ASE clientele. :)

Mari must have thought I typed 2200, because she said "Actually" as if my statement that "no one flies ***into*** ASE after ***23:00*** was incorrect. It was stated correctly.

The "no takeoffs after 22:30" she added is correct (at least I've also heard of it) but can't find a regulatory reference to it. 23:00 closure is listed in the A/FD. The pilot qualification requirements and aircraft equipment requirements for night VFR are also in the A/FD. The 22:30 takeoff limitation is not. The "civil twilight" limitation also is not listed.

The air ambulance waiver also isn't listed anywhere but that's to be expected.

Frankly it's pretty dark in the valley long before civil twilight is over with since CT is based off of a flat horizon. Shadows cover everything after the sun goes behind the peaks. Dark is dark. I'd never plan to be up there in a normally aspirated single VFR after dark, ever. Just begging for a tree to reach out and smite thee. :) :) :)

No big boogey man about ASE or any other mountain airport really. DA is high, performance is significantly degraded in most aircraft, and there are big rocks all around that are both hard when you hit them and tend to make any wind a lot worse than it would be over flat terrain. Mixed together it means trouble if you're not prepared.

It's also hard to describe how "every mountain looks the same" up there at first for VFR folks. One canyon may lead to ASE. The next one over may be a box canyon your aircraft simply can't get out of even at your personal maximum performance and the airplane's. You really have to pay attention to navigation carefully out the window VMC. It's kinda like flying in a maze if you're in something underpowered.

Nothing insurmountable or none of us would ever go up there. Just more to think about than say, 3000' AGL over the Nebraska panhandle. :)

Someone pointed out that there is no one checking logbooks for the rules up there and I'm sure that's true. It's a regulation like many others that will just be used to hang someone out to dry by insurance company lawyers against the Estate and employer if the accident was fatal, and by the FAA if it wasn't.

What regulation is it, exactly that a pilot might be breaking here? You stated that "it's a regulation." Which one?

What regulation is it, exactly that a pilot might be breaking here? You stated that "it's a regulation." Which one?

Good question.

Do airport rules published in the A/FD hold weight in court?

How about ones you can only find on a flyer posted to the bulletin board after you land, or printed on a sign at the hold-short line?

I'm guessing if the A/FD says "Airport closed 2300-0700 local" you'd get to find out if you landed at 23:30.

Mari must have thought I typed 2200, because she said "Actually" as if my statement that "no one flies ***into*** ASE after ***23:00*** was incorrect. It was stated correctly.
I saw that you typed 2300. I just wanted to clarify that the latest time for takeoff is not the same as it is for landing.

The "no takeoffs after 22:30" she added is correct (at least I've also heard of it) but can't find a regulatory reference to it. 23:00 closure is listed in the A/FD. The pilot qualification requirements and aircraft equipment requirements for night VFR are also in the A/FD. The 22:30 takeoff limitation is not.

A/FD said:
For all general aviation ops between 30 minutes after sunset to 0600Z‡ the following applies: acft equipped as required under FAR 91.205(D) for instrument flight—pilot is instrument rated; VFR pilot–in–command has completed at least one tkf or ldg in the preceding 12 months at ASE. IFR: execute apch/dep procedures with ATC clearance. Stage II/III acft only from 1400Z‡ to 30 minutes after sunset by county ordinance. Stage III acft only from 30 minutes after sunset to 0600Z‡. No departures after 0530Z‡.

http://aeronav.faa.gov/pdfs/sw_218_05APR2012.pdf

The "civil twilight" limitation also is not listed.
That's on the approach chart. "Procedure not authorized at night" where "night" is defined as civil twilight in Part 1.

Night means the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight, as published in the American Air Almanac, converted to local time.
As far as who would prosecute you if you broke the curfew, I don't know. I always assumed it was a local ordinance as it says in the A/FD.

Observations while hanging out at the airport and playing the golf course across the road cause me to believe the ratio of "small tin" to "big iron" is skewed compared to many other airports. Cost of using ASE is somewhat prohibitive to many pilots.

Few total or few as a ratio of total number of airport operations?

Good question.

Do airport rules published in the A/FD hold weight in court?

Which court? Criminal court? Only if those local policies represent an ordinance within the jurisdiction of the court. You'd have to check with local law enforcement. That's an issue of law, not regulation.

Civil Court? Anybody can be sued for anything, any time. Take your chances. It's still not regulatory.

Administrative court? Whereas the AFD isn't a regulation, but represents the best available intel on each of the listed airports at the time of publication, the AFD doesn't represent regulation nor define it. It may include information based on local airport policies, and that information could be used when considering your ability to comply with 14 CFR 91.103, but it's not regulation. You stipulated that not adhering to the data provided in the AFD would be a violation of regulation. Whether the data is considered in an appeal or not doesn't make it regulation, and it's not.

How about ones you can only find on a flyer posted to the bulletin board after you land, or printed on a sign at the hold-short line?

Also not regulation. Again, you stipulated regulation.

I'm guessing if the A/FD says "Airport closed 2300-0700 local" you'd get to find out if you landed at 23:30.

Once more, you cited regulation, but can't identify the regulation. The AFD isn't regulation.

Certainly a local authority, be it a port authority, city or county authority, law enforcement, airport authority, etc, may be part of enforcement of local policy, but that doesn't make it a regulatory violation. In the case of a local policy stipulating that a pilot must log a landing or approach in the last year, show me the regulation that backs this up. You can't.

Regulation covering logging is found in 14 CFR 61.51. Local policies don't have the authority or power to change, alter, or modify the regulation. CFR means Code of Federal Regulation. Local policies don't trump that.

Certainly airports can set curfews, within limits. Many airports which have accepted federal funding have attempted to do so, and have been turned back by the FAA. Santa Monica in California is an excellent example of a city which keeps passing illegal ordinances and attempts to enforce them, and which keeps getting beaten back down by the FAA, as well as other interested parties (AOPA, NBAA, etc).

That's the policy at Lakeway, TX. Cop will put a citation on your windshield.

Which court? Criminal court? Only if those local policies represent an ordinance within the jurisdiction of the court. You'd have to check with local law enforcement. That's an issue of law, not regulation.

Catalina they won't let you take off until they've given you a ration of s-t, and if you have attitude they might not let you back. Night landings are only for people with a monthly tie down and the runway lights are on a different freq than CTAF.

I've seen police cars used to block aircraft or stop aircraft at Van Nuys, and have been questioned there before when doing emergency medical flights, carrying vital organs.

Santa Monica is the poster child for airports that aren't aircraft friendly, however. They keep on passing local ordinances that keep getting tossed or overturned, and they issue noise violations right, left, and center.

Certainly airports can set curfews, within limits. Many airports which have accepted federal funding have attempted to do so, and have been turned back by the FAA. Santa Monica in California is an excellent example of a city which keeps passing illegal ordinances and attempts to enforce them, and which keeps getting beaten back down by the FAA, as well as other interested parties (AOPA, NBAA, etc).

At Aspen, the tower is closed and the FBOs are closed. You land at your own risk. Translation - you or your estate will be held responsible. The closure is not the same situation as Santa Monica. At Aspen, it's a safety issue. A HUGE safety issue.

For those not familiar with Aspen at night, there are any number of YouTube videos to watch. Or crank up MSFS, set to night, and fly there from Rangely or even RedTable VOR. The classic is the FLIR demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJIvsI9AtIs

Last edited:
I've seen police cars used to block aircraft or stop aircraft at Van Nuys, and have been questioned there before when doing emergency medical flights, carrying vital organs.

Santa Monica is the poster child for airports that aren't aircraft friendly, however. They keep on passing local ordinances that keep getting tossed or overturned, and they issue noise violations right, left, and center.

I have been yet to see that happen at VNY. I have been flying there for over 20 years. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all. After all they are the finest rent-a-cops that were turned into law enforcement.

When they were transitioned from security guards into the airport police department, several of them were let go because they couldn't pass the background check. Felony and domestic violence histories were what were most common.

Anyone have + care to share the non-FAA approaches into ase? I will keep em' private, just curious what they looked like. PMable.

At Aspen, the tower is closed and the FBOs are closed. You land at your own risk. Translation - you or your estate will be held responsible. The closure is not the same situation as Santa Monica. At Aspen, it's a safety issue. A HUGE safety issue.

For those not familiar with Aspen at night, there are any number of YouTube videos to watch. Or crank up MSFS, set to night, and fly there from Rangely or even RedTable VOR. The classic is the FLIR demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJIvsI9AtIs

SVT makes it pretty nice as well.

Observations while hanging out at the airport and playing the golf course across the road cause me to believe the ratio of "small tin" to "big iron" is skewed compared to many other airports. Cost of using ASE is somewhat prohibitive to many pilots.

The folks at the counter do have the ability to waive the fees. But I probably shouldn't have said that. :)

Be nice to the rampies and desk folks... Always. ;)

Anyone have + care to share the non-FAA approaches into ase? I will keep em' private, just curious what they looked like. PMable.

Go look at the Roaring Fork Visual Rwy 15. There's 7 approaches. If you aren't on one of those dotted lines, you've probably run into cumulo granite. As Nate pointed out, the geology around Aspen is a funnel of very hard and very tall dirt.

Would ASE allow one to set up a portable tent shelter? Put it up and take it down as you come and go, not much real impact on usable real estate. Could even build a local option at the FBO. Quick deploy shelters could be a nifty investment.

Henning [QUOTE said:
Would ASE allow one to set up a portable tent shelter?

No.

Put it up and take it down as you come and go, not much real impact on usable real estate.
Pitkin County isn't interested in tent cities anywhere. Ramp space is tight, too many obvious risks from other planes, ground vehicles, wind, snow hail, you name it.

Could even build a local option at the FBO. Quick deploy shelters could be a nifty investment.

As an example of their ideas about ROI, a few years ago they implemented a policy that aircraft owners would be required to execute a waiver that exempted the FBO from damage they caused while towing airplanes on the ramp. If the owner declined to sign the waiver, nightly tiedown fees increased to $250. It caused a huge stink with both owners and the the owners' insurance companies, and I lost track of the outcome. We decided to use KEGE instead and haven't been back since.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions I got in this thread. To help out any other low hour pilots from flat areas contemplating the same trip, I'm going to revive this old thread to give up update of my experiences of flying to Aspen. If you don't want all the boring details, skip to the end on the actual landing to Aspen. :D

First of all the house we rented is about 10 minutes outside of Aspen, and a few miles due east of midfield KASE about 1000 ft above the field. I can't see the runway from the house, but can see traffic arriving and departing, and also anyone on right downward for 33 (depending on how wide they are) basically fly pretty much over where we are. The first couple of weeks, due to logistic issues, I did not have the plane here and flew commercial to and from Dallas. But I paid close attention to the airport, and my initial reaction was that it didn't seem that bad to get into, just looking at the other traffic around.

But being the cautious fellow (cluck cluck cluck) that I am, I still intended to come in the first time with a CFI. I finally got a chance to bring my plane here last week. The trip started at Addison (KADS) with a temperature of 106 F. A neighbor of ours in Dallas who is also spending a few weeks in Aspen asked me "if it is not too much trouble" to take some wine for her. "Some" wine was 80lbs. I admit to having some wine for myself too, so I had about 150 lbs of wine, as well as the rest of my luggage. Luckily the 206 can swallow a lot without complaining too much. More on that wine later...

Some big storms were just starting to roll in, and a bunch of planes were trying to get out before the storm hit. I taxied from my hangar with a 210 just behind me, and joined the line at the runup area for runway 15 with that 210 and about three other planes. The 210 pretty much just rolled directly onto the runway, he obviously called tower and got permission without doing any runup or anything. Naughty... Got my IFR clearance, and waiting for my release while looking nervously at the XM weather NEXRAD (as well as on my iPad). There was a line of storms approaching, with a cell probably 10 miles away and heading directly towards Addison. My initial vector on takeoff was 045 degrees, directly at the storm. I asked tower if they could give me a different initial vector, but they said departure would turn me away and "not to worry". I worried, and briefly considered going VFR to get out of the area then pick up an IFR clearance later. Anyway, decided to trust the system and departed. As promised, departure quickly and expertly pointed me at a hole in the approaching line of storms and got me through that hole. ATC was busy squeezing a bunch of commercial flights through that same hole or sending others further south and around.

There was a bunch of heavy thunderstoms in Western Texas and Oklahoma, so I ended up deviating probably 100 miles to the south to get around that. And looking ahead at the XM NEXRAD images, there was a whole lot of activity over the Rocky mountains. So I decided to make a stop in Pueblo, spend the night then complete the trip in some nice smooth quiet flying conditions the next morning. I went to the Rocky Mountain FBO. They usually close at 5 pm, but luckily were still open at 6 pm and said they would organize a rental car for me. As I descended into Pueblo and got the weather, etc, I discovered it was almost as hot there as Dallas. It was almost 100 F. Well this sucks, I thought, I can't leave all this wine in the plane with those temperatures. So landed, and hauled those heavy boxes over to the FBO and into the rental car. Got it started up with AC on full, while I paid for fuel and made arrangements for the next day. Headed into Pueblo, got a hotel room, and hauled that damn wine up to the room.

The next morning, I had arranged to meet a CFI at Rifle at 7 AM... So I had to make an early start. Got up at 4:15 AM, checked the weather, filed a VFR flight plan that would take me to Leadville first, then Hagerman Pass, over the Ruedi reservoir, then down/across the Roaring Fork Valley to Glenwood Springs, then follow the valley to Rifle. Hauled the wine down to the rental car (which incidentally was parked in the overfill parking lot. How can such a small town need an overfill parking lot for a hotel???). Finally got on the road to the Pueblo airport. I had been told where to dump the rental car, near a single gate with a coded entry. I parked as close to the gate as I could, then carried the boxes of wine and luggages (swearing under my breath) to the gate. Hit the code, propped the gate open, moved the boxes inside the gate. Then had to haul the boxes to the plane which was tied down 10 miles away. Okay, it was not 10 miles but felt like it! :rolleyes: I loaded up the plane, did the preflight (the dawn was just beginning to break), and got in. Then I remember I needed oxygen! I was planning to cross the area towards Leadville at 16500 feet to take a bit of a short cut. So... get out again, move the boxes out, get the oxygen mask, put the boxes back in.

Finally on my way, and climbed up to 16,500 ft well before I got to Leadville. My plan was to start high, then once I saw the pass to start descending immediately and basically go downhill all the way to Rifle. The flight was perfect, totally smooth and stunning scenery. The area around the Ruedi reservoir is beautiful. I followed the valleys all the way to Rifle, taking my time enjoying the scenery, making a few detours here and there and landed at Rifle 7:03 AM just a few minutes late. It is a very nice easy airport to land at.

I met up with Jim, my CFI who is based there, and we briefed Aspen. We got to the plane, and his first comment was "man you've got a lot of stuff in that plane!". I immediately hauled out the iPad to show him the W&B along with his weight. I may have detected some slightly raised eyebrows at the need to be carrying so much wine.

Got going, and he showed me a shortcut that works well to go from Rifle to over Glenwood Springs (follow the power lines on the sectional), which brings you over the airport rather than around the curve and less likely to meet up with other traffic suddenly departing Glenwood. He told me that many local pilots don't like to talk on the radio, even if they have them. Tsk tsk tsk. While heading there, he briefed me on the need to call Aspen approach. Not too early, because if they don't see you on Radar they will start hassling you for position reports. He pointed out the main landmarks, including Red Table VOR which a lot of the jet traffic come from directly so definitely good to know. We got the Aspen weather and checked in with Aspen approach, and they told us to go straight in for 15 passing us on to the tower fairly quickly. The tower also cleared us to 15. Jim advised to always ask for a wind check because it can change quickly and they don't necessarily update the ATIS for wind changes. Hmmm.... As we were coming in, he pointed out Snowmass Village which he said sometimes you will be asked to go to first (and it is not on the sectional). He also warned me that sometimes you have to hold over the golf course near Aspen downtown, and pointed that area out to me. Did the landing on 15 which was quite straightforward. It does slope slightly uphill but not enough to throw you off. When you get off the runway, the distance from the runway to the main taxiway is quite short. They want you off the runway quickly, but you need to look out for traffic on the taxiway because you basically have to go fully onto the taxiway to get clear of the runway.

Jim then suggested we taxi back to 33 which is the normal departure direction (appparently you need special permission to take off the other way). We took off, and did one trip around the pattern (right traffic) to land on 33. Landing on 33 is fine, there is plenty of room to do a nice wide pattern if you want to. The only slight difficulty is turning base to final, there is a hill basically right there so you have to be higher than you usually would. But using my usual 20 degrees of flaps and about five seconds of slipping, I was able to set up for a nice easy landing. The runway is very long so you would have to be totally inept in a small plane to mess it up in my opinion. We did a taxi back to 33, then departed back to Rifle. Coming out was interesting because there was a jet coming straight in for 15. We sidestepped to the right and the jet came shooting past. Pretty typical there apparently! I dropped Jim off, and fueled up again (fuel is 70 cents off at Rifle on Saturdays).

Coming back to Aspen, I followed the same route except I checked in earlier with Aspen Approach. As he had warned me, they asked for a continual position reports until they could see me. There was a lot of traffic now, being later in the morning. As Jim had warned me, Aspen Approach instructed me to go the Snowmass Village, then the airport to enter right downwind for 15. If I had not been warned about this, it would have been ugly because it is not marked on the sectional and not obvious if you don't know Aspen. When I was passed to the Tower, they repeated to go to Snowmass Village, but to then cross midfield and enter right downwind for 33 and hold over the golf course. Again, I had been warned about this so that was no problem. I followed the instructions, and started circling over the Aspen and golfcourse area. It is not a real hold, really just a tight circle. By habit I did it clockwise but I guess you could do it in any direction? It is a great way to see Aspen! The tower had me circle three times while they brought in a jet and departed three small planes. They are efficient! Then on the third loop, then cleared me to land 33.

In retrospect, my opinion of Aspen is that the actual airport itself with surrounding terrain is not difficult at all. The difficulty comes in the high traffic volumes which combined with the terrain means you have to be extra vigilant. And there are certain procedures that they follow which are not documented.

Now I'm looking forward to flying around the area.

The wine made it safely to its destination. Well, I did steal one bottle from my neighbor's box. Shhh, don't tell... They had more than enough. :wink2:

Enjoy the view and keep your hand on the throttle. Remember, you will not have as much power available so the amount of throttle you will need to arrest sink will be significantly more than you are used to, ie what you may adjust for with 3/4" of throttle may require full throttle to accomplish. Always add full power then reduce as you come to spec. Correct early and correct often.

210 pilots are smart hombres who know how to complete a run-up while taxiing to the active.

I drove from N Dallas to Aspen on Wednesday in less time.

210 pilots are smart hombres who know how to complete a run-up while taxiing to the active.

I'll race you if you want to make it interesting.:yesnod::popcorn:

You're still in town? We should meet for a beer. I want to see what you drive.

:D

Most of the time in the winter and holiday weekends, the ASE ATIS says "No parking available for piston engine aircraft".

If I'm going skiing I have much better, friendlier and lower cost places. I remember summers in Aspen and Snowmass on Aspen above in this other doctors ski cabin, actually helps him out for insurance. This cabin is a 3 story house that splits into 2 residences for rental in the winter. It was a quiet mountain town where you'd see John Denver walking down the street. It was the west, real cowboys lived around town lol. Not the same anymore, oh well, there are still good mountain towns in CO with good snow and short/no lift lines and extra goodies at night.

They are efficient!
Definitely agree with that. They handle a large volume of traffic in that valley better than many airports situated in better places.

Enjoy the area! And the wine! :cheerswine:

If the grand-kids weren't here it would be a golf ball ;) We did the one-day drive in a Yukon, and over the years have found that the car beats the plane more times than not. The plane is faster, but it's hard to get to the rockies before noon, at which point the afternoon storms blow up the front range and flying into the mountains is a crap-shoot with even worse odds. When we had the King Air it was a different story, but that train has left town.

For many years we just flew to Denver and parked the plane, figuring that we had beat most of the boring flat-land distance, but we were usually going to Breck, Copper Winter Park to ski and Steamboat to play golf. If I were doing the same drill today, I'd probably park in PUB or maybe fly the gorge into Salida.

I just drove by the airport on the way out to Snowmass to set up tee-times, but didn't see the plane. Is it on the north end?
You're still in town? We should meet for a beer. I want to see what you drive.

:D

Yes, parked on the north ramp. White and Black with some blue.

I will be heading out at 7 am tomorrow for a couple of hours to take some pictures. Aspen in summer is great isn't it? Can't beat the weather and it is not too hectic. Great restaurants. Beautiful scenery. Lots to do.

Yep, hard place to beat. Maybe we can get together later this week if you're free. We're about a block from the Gondola.

PS: Did the CFI tell you that you can fly all the way to Rifle at 300' if you can get it off the ground at ASE? Or could, unless somebody has put a cell tower in the way.

Yes, parked on the north ramp. White and Black with some blue.

I will be heading out at 7 am tomorrow for a couple of hours to take some pictures. Aspen in summer is great isn't it? Can't beat the weather and it is not too hectic. Great restaurants. Beautiful scenery. Lots to do.

Sounds like you got it handled, as far as the challenges for there. Like you said, lots of traffic. Add in low performance and afternoon turbulence and it can be a little too entertaining.

They really should put a visual checkpoint flag on the VFR chart over Snowmass Village. If there's outbound traffic you'll always be told to go over there. ;)

CDOT prints a nice spiral-bound Colorado Airport Directory/Guide. See if you can find some folks with a box of them. They're free.

They also have a downloadable PDF version, but the book is approach plate sized (but obviously much thicker) and is nice to have.

Back