adventures in newbie adm

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
I'd done two flights with CFIs in the sportcruiser earlier this year, one sixpack, one glass. The wx was nearly perfect yesterday afternoon, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to be solo PIC in order to get some intimate fingerpoken time with the Dynon panel. I'd originally planned on heading up towards THV from GAI, but scaled back my goal to DMW due to time constraints. I'd wanted a slot at around noon, but 2:30 was all I could get.

Chit chat, gassed up, leisurely preflight, filed, started up, over to the runup area, and I'm wheels up at 3:20. As soon as I'm wheels up, I see that the visibility is not as beautiful as it seemed from the ground, and the sun, already low in the sky, started hiding behind some clouds. I'd checked earlier that sunset is around 4:30 these days.

Get outside the SFRA, and it's darker than I'd thought because I left later than I thought. Rather than motor on to DMW, I turn around, not wanting to set myself up for a beat-the-clock type scenario.

Back in to the SFRA, full pattern at GAI; I guess everyone else was coming home too. 360 for spacing, greaser landing at around 4.

In retrospect, I should have budgeted a lot more time due to having low time in type. It was a short 0.8 flight, but I learned a lot.

.8 solo flight is awesome!

I hate solo flying! I dreaded every minute required.

At least you made it back before sunset. It gets dark quicker in the winter.

I got caught out in a new to me old 172 after dark not long after PP with the family. Had no idea where that door post light switch was hiding. Transponder and radio were intermittent. The flashlight(somewhat prepared) held by my wife on the ASI helped along with the landing light coming into a short 2,900'(for me at the time) runway with trees sticking up in the approach path. I had only flown the plane and landed once earlier that day for the 1 hr checkout. Thankful everything worked out well.

I recommend sitting in a dark hangar or close your eyes and learn where everything is by feel before heading out at night. Keep learning.

Back