ADSB Ground Station Data Output Cycle

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
I am looking for info on how often the ADSB ground station transmits weather data (no interest in FIS) and its format. I have questions like how often the weather is updated, is it all at once or just for sections of the country, or is it just for the area around the ground station, etc. I read as much as I can find re ADSB but mostly it gives a general overview...would appreciate a pointer to the more technical aspects of the ground station's data stream.

I am looking for info on how often the ADSB ground station transmits weather data (no interest in FIS) and its format. I have questions like how often the weather is updated, is it all at once or just for sections of the country, or is it just for the area around the ground station, etc. I read as much as I can find re ADSB but mostly it gives a general overview...would appreciate a pointer to the more technical aspects of the ground station's data stream.

You may find some of the info you seek in table 3 on page 86 of this document:

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/38468/Lester-ADS-B.pdf

Looks to be between 1 and 5 minutes latency, though as much as 10 minutes in "clear air mode," depending on the information being transmitted. The text seems to give a little more information that may address some, but not all, of your other questions. It does contain references to original documents, but I haven't attempted to locate them.

Thank you, that was very helpful

JohnWF

Back