ADS-C

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
I just learned about this system the other day listening to an update on Malaysia 370. I didn't see a bunch of detail on the system except to say that it's 'subscription based' and the Aussies are using it in the outback for ATC. That got me wondering if it's an INMARSAT C based system. Anybody know?:dunno:

ADS-C is Automatic Dependent Surveillance Contract. Essentially, the ATC system tells your plane to let them know when certain events happen. Essentially, ATC requests a callback when certain position/altitude parameters are exceeded but otherwise leaves you alone. It's an thing that ICAO is playing with for FANS (next-next-gen).

ADS-C is Automatic Dependent Surveillance Contract. Essentially, the ATC system tells your plane to let them know when certain events happen. Essentially, ATC requests a callback when certain position/altitude parameters are exceeded but otherwise leaves you alone. It's an thing that ICAO is playing with for FANS (next-next-gen).

One more step towards air traffic monitors/managers rather than controllers. Interesting concept.

It's actually a nifty system. Takes away the need to make HF position reports when you are flying in places like Africa... CPDLC and ADS-C are so much easier!

It is becoming a requirement in the NAT airspace. Certain tracks/altitudes are limited to FANS 1/A aircraft now, and more will be encompassed in future years.

Right, but what communications link is it using? That is my question, I'm suspecting INMARSAT C.

INMARSAT C is actually great for this because it's low cost, low throughput, store forward, satellite up/down. The system covers the globe from 70°N to 70°S and is intended to service the entire fleet of global shipping with GMDSS data links. The thing is, the system sees next to zero utilization. While basically every vessel over 300gross tons, or carrying passengers of any size, more than IIRC 200 miles offshore, has one of these, they only have them to fulfill a legal requirement for an obsolete omnidirectional antenna system.

Now everyone has directed antenna "broadband" systems for coms, and the INMARSAT C is either idle or off. This system would be perfect to take telemetry bursts. Small store forward data packets, exactly what the system was designed for with a nearly equivalent fleet size operating mostly within the same geographic limitations.

I was wondering if INMARSAT saw the opportunity.

ADS-C I think is parasitic on ACARS in current experiments so you have a mix of VHF and INMARSAT

I think most of the data link is through INMARSAT and Iridium systems.

Back