ADS-B "Uplink" (FIS-B) coverage by altitude

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Folks training people on ADS-B and advance avionics should bookmark this interactive map.

Pilot fried today mentioned that he received no indication of an active firefighting TFR in the western U.S. on either his UAT ADS-B IN equipped Garmin 530, nor on his Stratus device.

Looking at where he was flying on this map, indicates that he never would have received any FIS-B uplink at his altitude AGL for his route of flight.

Pilots relying on the FIS-B portion of the overall ADS-B system for uplink services (weather, TFRs, etc.) should be well aware that in mountainous terrain, coverage is not assured. Even at relatively high altitudes.

This interactive map from FAA shows significant terrain masking of 978 MHz tower signals, even as high as 5000' AGL.

Pilots flying in mountainous terrain may find massive gaps in uplink data coverage at altitudes as high as 1500' AGL.

The system is NOT complete coverage in the mountainous states out west, not by a long shot.

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/ICM/

Pilot fried? Firefighting TFR? Breaded and battered or just breaded or naked? Seasoned flour?

I think this is a great example of how you have to rely on an actual brief and look outside the plane. I love my stratus but it's not perfect.

In the past four weeks I have flown over parts of North Dakota and Eastern Montana at altitudes ranging between 8000 and 12,000 ft and there's more than a few areas that have zero or spotty, inconsistent coverage, even though the FAA map says otherwise.

I think the biggest risk is counting on it for firefighting TFRs out west here. Or one of the many useless and replaceable upper politicians moving around.

Back