ADS-B Traffic images (FF & Stratus)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I had a chance to ride right seat on a PnP flight and bring along a Stratus II during the trip. It was really interesting to see the traffic function work. Most of the targets were heavies. Kinda cool to see a target on the iPad screen, and then look out and see his contrail above us right where it should be.

Mission: PnP flight from Fort Worth (T67) to Leadville, Co to deliver Oreo to his new forever family (VFR)
Equipment: Baron D55, Stratus II, iPad Mini 2.
Cruise Altitude: 6,500 MSL to start, then 12,500MSL in the mountains. 15,500 on the return (to catch a speedy tailwind)

Images below also show our cruise route, flying a valley route into Leadville, and that even west of Wichita Falls, you can see activity around DFW.

We were not ADS-B out equipped. But had several airliners pinging the system and we got the piggy back signal.

I was impressed with the Battery Life of the Stratus II. I had started with a full charge. Flight up was about 3h15m, return was 2h30m. We were on the ground at Leadville for about 1h45m and I forgot to turn it off. So we got nearly 8 hours of constant usage out of it.

The Baron owner was impressed with the service enough that he said he's gonna add an ADS-B out solution to his upgrade list.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Why are you seeing traffic that is 20,000 feet above you? I really hope you can set that somewhere so it only shows traffic within a few thousand of your altitude...

Why are you seeing traffic that is 20,000 feet above you? I really hope you can set that somewhere so it only shows traffic within a few thousand of your altitude...

I believe there is a filter setting, but not sure where to find it.

For our journey, very few GA was out and about at our altitude and route. I don't recall any traffic call outs by ATC. And we were happy just seeing it in action.

Until more small aircraft install the ADS-B out equipment installed, you're not likely to see that many targets on your screen if you are piggy backing the signal. But once you install the box into your aircraft, then you're going to see the traffic.

select "more" in the lower righthand corner then go to "settings" and scroll down to traffic and turn the filter on

Back