• Looking for ADS-B

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Waiting to upgrade

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Want to upgrade now

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looking for the absolute minimum cost solution to meet the regulations given that I am starting with just an old style mode C transponder (KT-76) and no GPS anything.

You get a Garmin GDL 88, which mounts behind your panel. It connects to your existing mode C transponder, which you keep on your panel and continue to use. Since you don't have WAAS, you order the 88 with an optional WAAS antenna and GPS receiver that is dedicated to the 88.

This solution:

• works up to 18000 feet
  • provides ADS-B out, but not ADS-B in.
  • for the "in" you can either use a portable product (like a stratus with an ipad), or you can add a Garmin MFD to view the "in" signal generated by the 88.
  • allows you to keep your existing Mode-C transponder and keep your existing non-GPS (or non-WAAS) NAV-COM radios.
  • you just add one box behind the panel, an antenna or two, and cables, changing nothing that's visible on the panel.

I hope I got all that right. Garmin is bad at explaining this because they want to sell you a new 330 instead of encouraging you to keep your old Mode C transponder. So they are not motivated to tell you the cheap solution that I described. I haven't tried it myself. I searched all over the internet to find a readable explanation like I posted above, and I couldn't find one. Someone please correct me if I got it wrong.

Last edited:
Back