ADS-B Out and Passive Radar Homing Missile

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by qchen, Sep 3, 2021.

1. qchen

qchen Ejection Handle Pulled

Display name:
    qchen
    According to this research, an ADS-B out antenna is a significant source of radio emission. Does an installation of ADS-B out equipment significantly increase the threat of the aircraft being locked on by a modern fire-control radar?

It really concerns me.

9/4 Edit:

One of greatest threat ever to GA aircraft may be realized soon: AIM-9X modified with a Stratux ADS-B receiver.

[​IMG]

A cost-effective $100 modification to the already deadly sidewinder missile. The hostile aircraft doesn't even need LOS to lock on to your Cessna. The Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity also makes it ForeFlight compatible.

This is pure nightmare.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    A1Topgun and aggie06 like this.
  2. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    If you have ADS-B out, you already have a mode C or S transponder transmitting. How would adding a second transmitter make a difference?

Todd82 likes this.
  3. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    PaulS
    Flares and chaff are all we have, use them wisely.

bflynn, aggie06, X3 Skier and 5 others like this.
  4. Doug Reid

Doug Reid Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Doug Reid
    Why are you so concerned about this ?

Todd82 likes this.
  5. Velocity173

Velocity173 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Well if you’re in an area with the threat being that high, won’t matter if you’re emitting ADS-B or not. Fire control radar can easily lock on to a primary target. In that case, I hope you’re good at flying NOE.

Sleauxdaddy, TCABM and Doug Reid like this.
  6. Joe_B1

Joe_B1 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Joe_B
    While you're at it try flying in front of a pave paws antenna!

murphey likes this.
  7. Shepherd

Shepherd En-Route

Display name:
    Shepherd
    Maybe interesting, but flying my PA-17 into KPOU on Tuesday, they didn't seem to be able to see me on the radar on my 5 mile straight in final (their request).
    After asking all the other planes if they could see me, they told everything else in the pattern to circle until I was on the ground.
    I had the same thing happen flying into KDXR and KPOU in the J3.
    Are little cloth planes invisible to modern radar?
    Any tower guys watching who can shed light on this?

Bender Aviation likes this.
  8. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Flying into ONZ (Grosse Ile Municipal) which is well inside DTW's (Detroit) 30nm mode C ring of death in my rag and tube homebuilt LSA with no transponder (at the time)... Approach did not have me on radar at 30 miles and about 1000ish AGL, but at 20 miles they did. So apparently we do not have a reliable Cloak of Invisibility.
    014.jpg

9. pfarber

pfarber Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    pfarber
    Essentially, yes.

Radar works by emitting a pulse of energy and then recording the presence of that energy being reflected back to the antenna.

Small wood/not very reflective surfaces may not reflect back enought energy to be 'seen'.

10. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    There’s probably 3 or 4 surveillance type radars out there. Each has different capability and personalized settings by the controller. Combine that with atmospheric effects, aircraft position from the antenna, aircraft angle, etc. A small fabric aircraft would be low observable but not invisible. If birds can show up or an F-22 / F-35 can be seen with a small metal reflector attached, they can see a cloth plane / ultralight with a metal engine.

My type aircraft (Velocity) was used to transport drugs across the Mexican border. It was almost invisible to border surveillance radar. That doesn’t mean ATC can’t get a primary on me though.

11. pburger

pburger Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Paul B.
    This just strikes me as odd. The OP joined POA four years ago, and THIS is his first post? Dude! You waited four years, and this is what you came up with?:dunno:

12. LesGawlik

LesGawlik Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Les
    If you really were worried about being shot down, wouldn't you go into stealth mode and turn off the transponder and/or nav lights powering your ADS-B?

13. David Megginson

David Megginson Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Canuck
    What actually kills pilots:
    1. Loss of control in flight
    2. CFIT
    What pilots worry about:
    • Getting "busted" by the FAA
    • Passive radar homing missiles (?)

Ryan Bowler, Todd82, Deelee and 11 others like this.
  14. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    If you’re that worried I’d suggest you purchase a good RWR for your aircraft. You’d actually be one up on the Taliban because the aircraft they’ve inherited don’t even have it. ;)

David Megginson likes this.
  15. pfarber

pfarber Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    pfarber
    Lol wut?

the return is either above the noise floor or it is not

Aluminum foil birds and F 22 what? Please stop randomly googling things.

we’re talking a tower radar in a NAS that’s using 1970s technology

16. Lindberg

Lindberg En-Route

Display name:
    Lindberg
    How about a GPS guided missile that just tracks the adsb signal?

17. Kansas Flyer

Kansas Flyer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    James
    ADSB or a transponder would make no difference in the ability of a military fire control radar or other weapon system to target you. In fact on the ship we had multiple ways to knock down low slow flyer threats. An SM2 guided by the SPY-1 (search/FC radar) with either CAW (command all the way) or illumination by one of the SPG-62s (fire control radar) for terminal homing, the 5" gun with a solution provided by either SPY or the OSS (optical gun director), or the CIWS if you got in nice and close.

Are you maybe talking about a radiation homing missile like the HARM? I doubt ADSB or a transponder puts out enough emissions to be a juicy target to something like that but I have no experience with that so maybe someone else could shed light on that.

18. Racerx

Racerx Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Ernie
    We dont have to worry about missiles shooting us down...We do have to worry about people that worry about missiles shooting them down

19. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display name:
    Lachlan
    “Deploy your foil!”

-Chappy Sinclair

NHWannabe likes this.
  20. RyanB

RyanB Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Ryan
    If you’re too close for missiles, they’ll switch to guns!

mcdewey, Zeldman and David Megginson like this.
  21. Dana

Dana Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Dana
    Where does POU get its radar feed from? NYC, I'd guess, and that's a ways away.

On the rare occasions I talk to ATC in my Hatz, they don't seem to be able to see me, either.

22. luvflyin

luvflyin Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    No, they aren’t invisible. The targets tend to be a little weaker. Engines are metal which helps. You have a wood propellor, that doesn’t help. I don’t remember a time when I couldn’t get a hit on a rag wing when while getting them on other planes in the vicinity. That was years ago, maybe newer Primary Radars aren’t quite as good. Seeing as how we live in pretty much a Secondary Radar world nowadays.

23. luvflyin

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    He didn’t say aluminum birds. He said birds. They can show on Radar. Flocks of big ones can give a pretty fair target. Note the ‘radar-observed’ below in this from the Controllers Handbook.

2−1−23. BIRD ACTIVITY INFORMATION
    a. Issue advisory information on pilot-reported, tower-observed, or radar-observed and pilot-verified bird activity. Include position, species or size of birds, if known, course of flight, and altitude. Do this for at least 15 minutes after receipt of such information from pilots or from adjacent facilities unless visual observation or subsequent reports reveal the activity is no longer a factor.
    EXAMPLE−
    “Flock of geese, one o’clock, seven miles, northbound, last reported at four thousand.”
    “Flock of small birds, southbound along Mohawk River, last reported at three thousand.”
    “Numerous flocks of ducks, vicinity Lake Winnebago, altitude unknown.”

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Todd82 likes this.
  24. qchen

Display name:
    qchen
    I understand that the FAA would never approve a flare dispenser STC, because the flares constitute a serious fire hazard to the ground.

However, should it be possible to get a STC for a chaff dispenser for my 152?

PaulS likes this.
  25. Silvaire

Silvaire En-Route

Display name:
    Silvaire
    If you're using ADS-B they'll just use FlightAware and figure out who you are but if you turn it off and start tossing rolls of tin foil out the window you'll be perceived as a threat and they'll shoot you down so, be careful of advice you get on POA.

26. qchen

Display name:
    qchen
    The GPS position report is only broadcasted once a second. Unless the missile has a terminal guidance system/or equipped with nuclear warhead, this scenario is very unlikely.

27. Lindberg

Lindberg En-Route

Display name:
    Lindberg
    Glad to know you're only worried about the likely scenarios.

DaleB, NightSkyReader and Racerx like this.
  28. Bob Noel

Bob Noel Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Bob Noel
    Not a tower guy, but worked with radars.

The "little cloth planes" have less primary radar return (skin paint), but your Mode 3/C transponder (or Mode S) should be visible. In fact, ATC really just needs the beacon radar (aka Secondary radar) and uses the skin paint to "reinforce" the beacon plot. However, there could be something like your wheels that block the direct path to the ground radar. My cherokee 140 would occasionally "disappear" according to ATC and I would just tell them to let me turn a little to unblock the antenna.

Another problem could be a weak transponder signal return due to age, crud on the antenna, or whatever. You might want to check to make sure your transponder is within spec.

29. Salty

Salty Final Approach

Display name:
    Salty
    How effective would a missile guidance system be that simply uses the adsb out data to track a target?

30. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Get a Navion - IIRC they were a factory option. No STC should be required.

aggie06 likes this.
  31. qchen

Display name:
    qchen
    It will effective against all aircrafts that operates within the airspaces prescribed in 14 CFR 91.225.

32. GaryM

GaryM Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Gary M
    I figure my risk of being shot down will remain low as long as I continue to fly planes that are worth but a fraction of the cost of a single anti-aircraft missile.

jsstevens likes this.
  33. Velocity173

Display name:
    Velocity173
    lol! Didn’t Google anything but perhaps you should. I did ATC for a 8 years and have a brother who did it for 20. I’m well aware of the limitations of radar.

Radar depictions aren’t universal and depending on type, you may or may not see a target. Analog radar, digital radar, PAR. What’s the gain set at? Is MTI on? CP on? Is the target getting blocked by terrain or heavy rain? Are they in a turn? A whole slew of factors are involved in whether or not a small fabric aircraft would show up.

As far as birds. You do realize that ATC radar can pick up birds right? It’s even in the controller’s manual. At my brother’s facility, they’re actually able to use the newer equipment (STARS) and tag up a primary. And yes, they’d label it as “birds.”

It’s also common knowledge (perhaps not you) that low observable fighter aircraft use radar reflectors (RCS enhancers) so ATC can see a primary on their scope. Heck, I’ve seen the reflectors used at the end of a runway for PAR / ASR alignment and they’re pretty small.

The whole thing is a moot point anyway. The OP was referring to fire control radar and not ATC radar. Two completely different things.

RyanB and donjohnston like this.
  34. wanttaja

wanttaja En-Route

Display name:
    Ron Wanttaja
    Got a friend with a very low serial number Bonanza. It has a chute, for use with the WWII-style flare gun. Could you use that for justification for an STC?

Ron "Panache, not flare" Wanttaja

35. asicer

asicer Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display name:
    asicer
    It's not the price of your plane that's being compared against the cost of the missile, it's the price of your intended target.

G-Man likes this.
  36. luvflyin

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    Ve haf shot down the infidels bugsmasher fleet and brought the yankee imperialist dogs to their knees.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Ryan Bowler and Zeldman like this.
  37. Kansas Flyer

Kansas Flyer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    James
    You underestimate the governments capability to waste money....

GaryM likes this.
  38. Maxnr

Maxnr Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Bob Dingley
    For what its worth. You can tell when an AA fire control radar has you "locked up" because your transponder reply light is steady on. Ask me how I know.

39. luvflyin

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    Ok. How do you know? Did the locker on tell you? Or did you just assume because you were out of ATC Radar coverage? There coulda been something other than a fire control radar interrogating you maybe.

40. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Billy
    I have flown several C-207s in Alaska that used to have flare dispensers that dropped parachute flares.

I will assume the dispenser was removed so more revenue could be loaded in the plane, or to stop the pilots from playing around...