ADIZ advice, please

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
My wife and I are thinking about bopping down to the Inn at Perry Cabins, St. Michaels, MD one of these days for lunch. The inn has a helipad.

What makes this a challenge is that the inn is only about 2 miles east of the ADIZ, and, it is only about 1 mile north of the VIP TFR (Cheney's house, I believe).

Question: is it sufficient to be talking to Potomac Tracon, or should I do something beyond that? Busting either would certainly not be a good thing :no:

RotaryWingBob said:
Question: is it sufficient to be talking to Potomac Tracon, or should I do something beyond that? Busting either would certainly not be a good thing :no:
Easiest thing to do would be to file (and open) an IFR flight plan. Otherwise, you need to be squaking and talking.

Bob:

There's an on line AOPA course that gives all the details; takes about 45 minutes.

IFR is pretty seamless if you are just passing through; if you stop in the ADIZ area, more requirements and a few places where you make sure to keep the squawk code in and on until you stop. Friend got busted by hitting a knob on the transponder while reaching for something else that changed the code while still in the air--not good!

VFR is different and I would suggest you work through the course; read up on it or get a thorough briefing from FSS or a CFI that is familiar.

Best,

Dave

RotaryWingBob said:
My wife and I are thinking about bopping down to the Inn at Perry Cabins, St. Michaels, MD one of these days for lunch. The inn has a helipad.

What makes this a challenge is that the inn is only about 2 miles east of the ADIZ, and, it is only about 1 mile north of the VIP TFR (Cheney's house, I believe).

Talking to Potomac will be sufficient enough. You do not need to file an ADIZ flight plan because you will not penetrate the ADIZ.

gprellwitz said:
Easiest thing to do would be to file (and open) an IFR flight plan. Otherwise, you need to be squaking and talking.
Agreed, except that the helicopter is a VFR only ship :)

RotaryWingBob said:
Agreed, except that the helicopter is a VFR only ship :)
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Given that, I'd do VFR and request flight following. That way you'll meet the squaking and talking portion, presuming they have time for you. Since you're not planning to penetrate the ADIZ, a flight plan into it doesn't make sense, as bobloblaw said. Just BE CAREFUL!:fcross:

Oh, you may wish to take the FAA's course on the ADIZ, just so you can show due dilligence if something does go wrong. It's on the www.faasafety.gov site at http://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_logintoregister.aspx?cId=24

Last edited:
Get a VFR Terminal Area Chart and carefully plot the Cheney house TFR on it. The larger scale of that chart should make it easier to stay out of where you don't belong. The concern with flight following would be that Potomac's ATC radar might not see you down at typical fling-wing altitudes over on the shore, and the only other radar over here is operated by folks who don't talk to planes, just shoot them.

Ron Levy said:
and the only other radar over here is operated by folks who don't talk to planes, just shoot them.

Well I'm sure that made Bob feel a whole lot better about the exercise. :D

Seriously, great advice Ron.

Hi Bob,

I've flown a helo into Perry Cabin but it was just before 9/11. It's a beautiful spot. There are no heliport markings afaik. Generally you park behind the building between the parking lot and the road in the grass. There's a flagpole back there which gives a good wind indication. (I assume you've called them and confirmed the helipad is still operational.)

I would as Ron suggested carefully plot it out on the terminal chart to remain clear of the adiz and the Chaneytfr. Also be aware of Easton traffic just east of the Inn. It can get pretty busy.

Coming down the East side of the adiz from PA you might get flight following from Dover. It's unlikely you'll get it from Potomac since you'll remain outside the adiz but you could try.

(I hope you have a Garmin 420 or similar. I wouldn't go that close to the adiz without one.)

Enjoy

Thanks Mike. I've been in touch with them about the helipad. We do have a Garmin 430 on board, so I'm less concerned about blundering into the ADIZ than I am about blundering into the TFR around Cheney's house. I think the idea that Ron and you espoused about a craeful plot is a good one.

Back