ADHD - Is it possible to be a pilot?

E

Eva

My high school senior has decided he wants to be a pilot. We did an introductory flight and got information on school at JA Flight School. He of course loved it. I worried about his asthma being a roadblock but never thought about ADHD. He was diagnosed in middle school by a therapist thru teacher surveys. He's never had an actual neuropsych exam done. He took himself off meds about a year ago and is having a great Senior year of A's and B's. What are our options? It's a huge expense to start flight school. I don't want to have him get loans for something that might never be an option. I've heard he has to be off meds for four years. Is it crazy expensive to get medically certified to fly? Thanks! Stressed and thinking maybe he needs to go to college instead. Running out of time to decide.

My high school senior has decided he wants to be a pilot. We did an introductory flight and got information on school at JA Flight School. He of course loved it. I worried about his asthma being a roadblock but never thought about ADHD. He was diagnosed in middle school by a therapist thru teacher surveys. He's never had an actual neuropsych exam done. He took himself off meds about a year ago and is having a great Senior year of A's and B's. What are our options? It's a huge expense to start flight school. I don't want to have him get loans for something that might never be an option. I've heard he has to be off meds for four years. Is it crazy expensive to get medically certified to fly? Thanks! Stressed and thinking maybe he needs to go to college instead. Running out of time to decide.
The process involves disproving the ADHD diagnosis through testing. And then the FAA has to make a decision. It is expensive and will take a while: https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/media/ADHD_standard_track_eval_general_info.pdf

If he can wait until he's been off the meds for four years, there is a much simpler process and an AME can issue him a medical certificate. Info on that here: https://www.faa.gov/ame_guide/media/ADHD_fast_track_eval_general_info.pdf

If he waits, he can get a Sport Pilot license in the meantime, as long as he has a DL.

The short answer is yes, but...

Lindberg pretty much nailed it. An AME will be along shortly for a more definitive answer. Sport Pilot is a very good option in the meantime. It's a real pilot, just some limitations. If he wants to be a pro pilot eventually, he'll need to get past the medical, but he'll also need hours of experience which he can get as a SP in the meantime.

Good Luck

thinking maybe he needs to go to college instead.

Not instead; in addition. A degree will give him employment advantages and options.

Sport Pilot, as suggested above, is a great idea. Have him get the Sport ticket, then fly with it as much as possible while he goes to college during the 4-year wait to get a medical. Four years down the road he’ll be in a very good position to work toward a flying career or whatever else he desires.

If you haven't already, turn on "signature lines" on your personal preferences and hit the link to website/ send message.....it IS possible but there is some brain efficiency testing at > 90 days off meds that has to happen and he has to, without med, beat out the bottom 15th percentile of flying decile age-matched pilots.

But you're probably correct, with a GREAT senior year his forebrains stuff finally matured and he is fuctioning at last...... :)

Last edited:
I wouldn’t sign up to a part 141 school rather I’d go the part 61 route and find a local flying club and pay as you go. I don’t think flying is something you can just commit up front, it’s a lifestyle for one if doing it professionally, you’ll likely have to teach to build hours, and for me I used to get sick after flying sort of like sea sick, I’ve overcome it but I don’t think everyone can.

Back