ADHD Fun - First Battery "Problems" - on to "Supplemental"

BigJimSlade

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BigJimSlade
Hello. First ever post, so be kind.

I'm 18 and I'd like to attend a 4 year college that offers an Aviation Science degree. I'd like to fly commercial planes. The college I'm attending tells prospective students to get their Class 1 ASAP to avoid problems after spending thousands on college, so I'm doing that.

I was given ADHD meds when I was 5 years old, and was on and off them until I was in 8th grade, when I stopped taking them. My academics, driving record, and everything else has been fine. I never had any accommodations in school. My only problem was my parents had no idea that they could potentially submarine my want to be a pilot when they gave into people they thought were knowledgable at the time and allowed them to medicate me. I know they're devastated regarding their decision, but they did the best they could at the time.

I filled out the MexExpress and said that yes, I had ADHD. So my AME deferred me. I underwent the first ADHD neuropsychological exam last week, and the exam found 3 "potential problems." I now have to go back and have the second "Supplemental Battery."

I know the one I screwed up - the one that the guy reads numbers off and you add the last two he gave. It's the quick addition - I always have struggled with it. I probably shouldn't have used the calculator that much as a kid.

So now it seems like the Supplemental Battery is my "make-or-break" chance. Does anybody know how this works? Are they going to try to address the problems I had in the first battery during this battery?

I made the mistake of not involving a HIMS AME in this process. I know better now and will be reaching out to one.

Hello. First ever post, so be kind.

I'm 18 and I'd like to attend a 4 year college that offers an Aviation Science degree. I'd like to fly commercial planes. The college I'm attending tells prospective students to get their Class 1 ASAP to avoid problems after spending thousands on college, so I'm doing that.

I was given ADHD meds when I was 5 years old, and was on and off them until I was in 8th grade, when I stopped taking them. My academics, driving record, and everything else has been fine. I never had any accommodations in school. My only problem was my parents had no idea that they could potentially submarine my want to be a pilot when they gave into people they thought were knowledgable at the time and allowed them to medicate me. I know they're devastated regarding their decision, but they did the best they could at the time.

I filled out the MexExpress and said that yes, I had ADHD. So my AME deferred me. I underwent the first ADHD neuropsychological exam last week, and the exam found 3 "potential problems." I now have to go back and have the second "Supplemental Battery."

I know the one I screwed up - the one that the guy reads numbers off and you add the last two he gave. It's the quick addition - I always have struggled with it. I probably shouldn't have used the calculator that much as a kid.

So now it seems like the Supplemental Battery is my "make-or-break" chance. Does anybody know how this works? Are they going to try to address the problems I had in the first battery during this battery?

I made the mistake of not involving a HIMS AME in this process. I know better now and will be reaching out to one.

Hi OP, I also had ADHD when I was a kid and am now an instrument rated pilot; I went through the Initial Battery (was lucky enough to avoid the supplemental). The neuropsychologist wants to acquit you, they just need overwhelming evidence to do so. Just because you have a potential problem area doesn’t mean you’re hosed.. I think most people end up passing, as you just have to prove you’re better off than 85% of the “normal pilot” population.

Worst case scenario is you bomb and take it agin after some time has elapsed.

Don’t worry and good luck!

Unfortuntly this will most likely become more common in the next 20 years. I know someone who was given scripts for both drugs Adderall and hydrocodone. Then when the DEA started to arrest some doctors for over prescribing this persons doctor suddenly told them can no longer prescribe the Hydrocodone but could continue to prescribe Adderall.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back