additional hrs from start and finish of a deferred checkride -- no paperwork issues?

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
If hours are obtained between the start and completetion of a checkride (deferral due to weather), adding them to your logbook doesn't require result in a paperwork mess, right (IE: new application)?

Re: additional hrs from start and finish of a deferred checkride -- no paperwork issu

Hmmm, interesting question, my guess is "no", this ride's still on the old paperwork.

Re: additional hrs from start and finish of a deferred checkride -- no paperwork issu

I do not remember where I know this from, so maybe someone could confirm this. But the numbers you put in IACRA can be +/- 25hrs, so assuming you flew for less than 25hrs it should be fine.

Plus I seriously doubt anyone is going to care. Go fly and don't bother with the paperwork.

I had to go back and I had to submit a new IACRA form but we just used the same information that I took up the first time even though I had flown back (ride was at an airport 40 minutes from me), flew with my CFI once and then flew back up there. It was in my logbook but the DPE wasn't concerned about the hours being updated on the IACRA form.

I do not remember where I know this from, so maybe someone could confirm this. But the numbers you put in IACRA can be +/- 25hrs, so assuming you flew for less than 25hrs it should be fine.
No such 25-hour tolerance. The only rules on what you put on the 8710-1 are that it must not be more than you have, and it must be at least what's required for the certificate/rating by the regulations. It is, however, to your advantage to make them as complete as possible in case your logbook is lost, as the FAA will accept anything previously documented that way. So, in this situation, since you've already documented meeting the requirements for the certificate/rating being tested, no change is needed.

Also, when a checkride is discontinued and then completed within the 60-day window, no new 8710-1 is required.

Last edited:

what you put on the form is the minimum required. Every time I've applied for an FAA rating I listed only my US flight time on the form. No point in having the debate about what is and isn't valid.

My flight review was deferred by over a month from my oral test due to aircraft availability.
I flew another 8-10 hours with my instructors in between, oral and practical, I asked them about updating my IACRA info and they said we would if the DPE required it but they thought it would be fine.

I don't even remember the DPE looking at my log book until after the practical was over.

Only thing I recall about updating information was if I waited more than 90 days between oral and practical, that I would be required to redo the oral :yikes:.....no thanks on that

Only thing I recall about updating information was if I waited more than 90 days between oral and practical, that I would be required to redo the oral :yikes:.....no thanks on that
The limit between start and completion is only 60 days, not 90. 14 CFR 61.43(f)(1).

If those hours don't count towards a rating or currency requirements, don't log them. Nothing says you have to.

Deducting from this, no issue at all, as long as you meet the minimums.

If those hours don't count towards a rating or currency requirements, don't log them. Nothing says you have to.
Correct as far as the FAA is concerned. But you may later, for reasons other than FAA certification, regret that choice.

For example, if you had tailwheel, complex, high performance, or high altitude aircraft time in the distant past and didn't log it because at the time it didn't count towards any rating or category requirements, you would unhappily have had to go out, hire a plane and instructor, and get those additional training endorsements (not certification or currency issues) because you did not meet the grandfathering clauses in those rules which you would have met had you logged the time. Ditto paying more for insurance because did not log time in various types which could have been used to meet time in type requirements for lower rates -- or even being unable to obtain insurance at any price without buying a lot of dual time in type.

Last edited:

Correct as far as he FAA is concerned. But you may later, for reasons other than FAA certification, regret that choice.

For example, if you had tailwheel, complex, high performance, or high altitude aircraft time in the distant past and didn't log it because at the time it didn't count towards any rating or category requirements, you would unhappily have had to go out, hire a plane and instructor, and get those additional training endorsements (not certification or currency issues) because you did not meet the grandfathering clauses in those rules which you would have met had you logged the time. Ditto paying more for insurance because did not log time in various types which could have been used to meet time in type requirements for lower rates -- or even being unable to obtain insurance at any price without buying a lot of dual time in type.

Agree 100%, hence the comment about how from that fact (that FAA doesn't care what you log unless it is towards a licence) we can assume, that FAA doesn't care if you have more hours than what you state on the 8710-1 form, as long as you meet the minimums.

Agree 100%, hence the comment about how from that fact (that FAA doesn't care what you log unless it is towards a licence)
Except that statement isn't true.

we can assume, that FAA doesn't care if you have more hours than what you state on the 8710-1 form, as long as you meet the minimums.
You don't have to assume that, as it's written in FAA Orders 8900.1 and 8900.2, and anyway, it doesn't follow from your incorrect premise. But there are still good reasons (also written in 8900.1) to put all the 61.51-legal time you have on the 8710-1, and no reason in the world not to.

Back