additional endorsements increase insurance rates?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
Say a private pilot earns a tailwheel, seaplane or other endorsement.
Do insurance premiums go up? down? or don't the underwriters know/care about endorsements?

edit: aircraft insurance

I know ratings can lower premiums, but I was thinking a seaplane endorsement could led to additional exposure?

maybe i'm overthinking this.

Last edited:
Say a private pilot earns a tailwheel, seaplane or other endorsement.
Do insurance premiums go up? down? or don't the underwriters know/care about endorsements?

I know ratings can lower premiums, but I was thinking a seaplane endorsement could led to additional exposure?

maybe i'm overthinking this.

I think you are. Are you talking about Life Insurance, Aircraft Insurance, Renter's Insurance?

Life Insurance I can't answer.

The other two are educated guesses.

Additional training is NEVER a bad thing and can only affect insurance in a neutral or positive way. If you own an airplane and intend to put it on floats, your insurance will go up mainly due to the increased exposure to risk the operations off of water entails. Renters insurance MAY go up if you operate a float plane, but probably not. Devil is in the policy details.

Bottom line is if you just add a seaplane rating to your certificate, that in and of itself will not raise your regular airplane insurance rates.

I don't think so at least based on talking to insurance companies they like pilots who receive training and ratings. I have my complex endorsement and the retract time will lower my premium quite a bit once I buy a plane.

(I should have included: aircraft insurance)

I have Avemco, and my instrument and commercial certificates made it go down, since you obviously have more training. Now, when I added multi engine to my coverage went up, so I'd assume adding a seaplane would be the same. Not sure about tailwheel...

Thanks for asking, because this reminded me to call and see if my 135 airline job will lower it more, since I'm obviously staying waaaaay more proficient than a weekend warrior...

I have Avemco, and my instrument and commercial certificates made it go down, since you obviously have more training. Now, when I added multi engine to my coverage went up, so I'd assume adding a seaplane would be the same. Not sure about tailwheel...

Thanks for asking, because this reminded me to call and see if my 135 airline job will lower it more, since I'm obviously staying waaaaay more proficient than a weekend warrior...

I'm glad that you mentioned your rate structure with Avemco. I have their paperwork right here, because I think they're my selection for renters insurance.

Instrument supposedly helps, types and endorsements they don't even ask about (even when you're insuring a complex/taildragger). Avemco gives a discount for wings or certain other continuing ed.

I'm confused. Your premiums went UP because you got a Multi rating? Why is that? If you own and fly an SE airplane, why would it go up by adding an ME rating? :confused::confused::confused:

Time in type goes up ,rates go down,get a new rating,time in type goes down rates go up. Also depends on hull value of airplane.

Mine went down after getting my Multi. Can't say what the SES rating did because I was between planes when I got that.

I bought my plane years after earning my CSEL & instrument ticket. The adjuster said that they would definately help to lower my rates.

Recent experience is also a big factor. (I think they use the previous 6 months as recent.) The year after I bought my plane it dropped from around $580 to $485 a year. I had put something like 120 hours on the plane, plus some in rented planes. The year after that I lapsed my medical. I just started flying again last September/October. When I renewed my insurance last month I only had something like 20 hours of recent experience. It jumped up to $615 for the year.

Jim

I'm confused. Your premiums went UP because you got a Multi rating? Why is that? If you own and fly an SE airplane, why would it go up by adding an ME rating? :confused::confused::confused:

He said it went up when he added multi-engine COVERAGE, not the rating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

He said it went up when he added multi-engine COVERAGE, not the rating.
:yeahthat: Sorry, I realize I could've said that more coherently... I added coverage for ME as well as SE. If I didn't add the ME, then my SE coverage would've been unchanged.

I'm glad that you mentioned your rate structure with Avemco. I have their paperwork right here, because I think they're my selection for renters insurance.

I'm thinking of dropping Avemco and going to AOPA. Avemco does not cover experimental. AOPA does.

:yeahthat: Sorry, I realize I could've said that more coherently... I added coverage for ME as well as SE. If I didn't add the ME, then my SE coverage would've been unchanged.

Still doesn't make sense. Unless you upped your hull premium, your rates shouldn't have changed. With my policy, I'm covered in any aircraft I'm legal to fly up to the hull value I have set. Could be SES, could be SEL, could be MEL. My rates didn't change.

Increased ratings / training / IFR? Insurance....rates go down

Use those ratings to fly more complex aircraft, rates go up.

Rates are driven my experience and what you're insuring. If you're multi-rated but not insured for multi, your rates shouldn't go up.

I'm thinking of dropping Avemco and going to AOPA. Avemco does not cover experimental. AOPA does.

Hmmmm, that's very interesting... When I first read this, I said "I don't fly experimental", then immediately, I said, "Well there's about 10 I'd like to immediately". I forget how large the experimental category is getting very quickly.

That is very good information, so thank you for sharing that.

Back