Addison Cirrus

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
News reports a chute out near Plano this am. Prayers for the injured, family of (1) deceased.

Just barely missed the high school. Definately keep the injured and diseased in our thoughts and prayers. It was extremely foggy this morning as well.

My home office is near where this airplane went down. Drove over there today after a meeting and walked around in the field. I hoped to learn something about my own piloting by being there for some reason.

It is the biggest field anywhere around (surrounded by dense neighborhoods); must have completely lost the engine on approach to ADS from the north and had to sit it down wherever he could. Sad deal.

Word at ADS is that there was no fuel in the plane, and that it had been flown 5 hours since MX with no fuel added.

Word at ADS is that there was no fuel in the plane, and that it had been flown 5 hours since MX with no fuel added.

I sure hope it isn't something that simple. Jeez.

At the ABS convention in Las Vegas on Thursday, Tom Rosen made a presentation about fuel management and stated this has been the largest cause of GA accidents by a large margin for the last ten years (and he might have stated fuel related instead of management). Several other excellent presentations.

Dave

Well report back when you learn more. Sure hope its not something as simple as fuel exhaustion.

Damn - I have a client/friend who flies a SR22t out of Addison. Was worried it was his plane, but checked and it isn't his tail number.

They were headed to Waco; mentioned engine roughness and desire to return to Addison. Weather was 3500' broken when they left, it had deteriorated significantly by the time they returned. They shot one approach, went missed, asked for vectors for another. Didn't declare an emergency until six miles out on the second. Then, dropped off radar. Evidence indicates chute may have been deployed, but too late to help.

Talk here is that he flew over several suitable airports before he crashed in the neighborhood, and that he couldn't activate the LOC on his on-board equipment. I don't know the status of the ground equipment at the time, but the construction crews are still working on the runways and taxiways.

They were headed to Waco; mentioned engine roughness and desire to return to Addison. Weather was 3500' broken when they left, it had deteriorated significantly by the time they returned. They shot one approach, went missed, asked for vectors for another. Didn't declare an emergency until six miles out on the second. Then, dropped off radar. Evidence indicates chute may have been deployed, but too late to help.

I had heard the same as Tango, that it was fuel problems on take off, not approach. Does anyone know for sure which it was?

Doc

Back