Adding WAAS to my 430's

Armcorp

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RC Flyer
I have usually gotten some great input and advice from my POA friends, so here is the latest.
I am having WAAS added to both of my 430's. Not cheap, but I have felt that the vertical navigation component added to the GPS flight component will ultimately be invaluable.
So I would like hear from some owners who have done the same and their overall view on the value of the conversion.
Also, are the fundamentals of operating the 430 changed after the conversion?
Thanks in advance......
RC

We did the upgrade in our Cirrus.

It was expensive even divided by 4 with the early order discount.

It is still worth it. The WAAS units are better.

Fundamentally different no but different enough. Biggest difference is the SUSP annunciation and what it means. I say that because it comes at the busiest times.

Enjoy it.

Joe

I did the WAAS upgrade when it first came out in a 530 and 430. It gives a lot more functionality and speed, and this doesn't even include the ability to do all of those approaches.

Not Joe, but you get the SUSP when you pass the final way point before the missed; you also can get it when you have a way point tuned in and don't pass over it. For instance, when flying an approach after the missed point, the GPS shows SUSP until you push it--it will then sequence to the missed.

The reason I mention tuning in a waypoint and not passing over it, is several times I've had an ILS tuned in and was cleared to turn early for a visual. If I don't pass over a way point like the IP, the unit goes into SUSP and I can lose ILS guidance if I go back into IMC or on a very dark approach where I'd like to have it; so, learn when to go to vectors to final or when to just tune in the ILS Loc and not a waypoint you won't overfly.

BTW, we did the upgrade a coupe years ago on the 430/530 in our plane and are very pleased with it. I really like the extra approach capability and the vertical guidance on many GPS approaches.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Not Joe, but you get the SUSP when you pass the final way point before the missed; you also can get it went you have a way point tuned in and don't pass over it. For instance, when flying an approach after the missed point, the GPS shows SUSP until you push it--it will then sequence to the missed.

The reason I mention tuning in a waypoint and not passing over it, is several times I've had an ILS tuned in and was cleared to turn early for a visual. If I don't pass over a way point like the IP, the unit goes into SUSP and I can lose ILS guidance if I go back into IMC or on a very dark approach where I'd like to have it; so, learn when to go to vectors to final or when to just tune in the ILS Loc and not a waypoint you won't overfly.

BTW, we did the upgrade a coupe years ago on the 430/530 in our plane and are very pleased with it. I really like the extra approach capability and the vertical guidance on many GPS approaches.

Best,

Dave
Thanks, now I remember the SUSP annunciation on the missed. I am really excited about adding the WAAS.

Dave's pretty much got it .

Garmin has a downloadable video on the differences between the WAAS and non-WAAS operation it is worth watching.

One thing is I almost never use Vectors-to-final because it deletes all the intermediate waypoints before the FAF. I prefer to select legs.

I am having WAAS added to both of my 430's. Not cheap, but I have felt that the vertical navigation component added to the GPS flight component will ultimately be invaluable.
So I would like hear from some owners who have done the same and their overall view on the value of the conversion.

If you have an autopilot with GPSS, the WAAS conversion is that much more valuable as now your autopilot can fly holds (provided they're part of an approach, either in lieu of procedure turn or on the miss) and procedure turns.

I would suggest that if you have an S-TEC autopilot and have not added the GPSS that you do so now as well - The unit is $1500 which is pretty cheap as far as aviation stuff goes. It's very slick.

Another advantage of the WAAS upgrade that's not frequently mentioned is that you get vertical guidance on EVERY GPS approach, not just the LPV (WAAS) approaches. In the "doomsday scenario" where you're on fire or your engine starts producing less than full power in IMC, whereas you used to be pretty much stuck finding the closest ILS and taking it to the ground if necessary, now you have guidance to the ground on every GPS approach which greatly increases the number of airports you could use in such a scenario.

We added WAAS to our 430 during the bargain period, and tied it with the GPSS; best thing since sliced bread. Convenient, reliable and accurate. Only a few small hitches in changing from non-WAAS (see above).

I would suggest that if you have an S-TEC autopilot and have not added the GPSS that you do so now as well - The unit is $1500 which is pretty cheap as far as aviation stuff goes. It's very slick.

Another advantage of the WAAS upgrade that's not frequently mentioned is that you get vertical guidance on EVERY GPS approach, not just the LPV (WAAS) approaches. In the "doomsday scenario" where you're on fire or your engine starts producing less than full power in IMC, whereas you used to be pretty much stuck finding the closest ILS and taking it to the ground if necessary, now you have guidance to the ground on every GPS approach which greatly increases the number of airports you could use in such a scenario.

"Vertical guidance on EVERY GPS approach" is a little strong, but vertical guidance is certainly available on most such approaches. The vertical guidance won't be available on a GPS approach that only has circling minimums and some straight in approaches. When the approach only has LNAV minimums, it is called an advisory glidepath and provides vertical guidance. The pilot is still responsible for assuring that they clear all step down fix minimum altitudes and to not descend below the MDA. If there is an Advisory GP, there are no assurances of obstacle clearance in the visual segment of the approach.

Joe,
What does the SUSP annunciation mean?

SUSP is the annunciation that displays above the OBS button and means that the automatic sequencing of waypoints has been suspended. There are differences between the 430/530 and the 430W/530W in the way SUSP occurs, and there are differences based on different levels of software in the 430W/530W. I describe the operation of SUSP below for version 3.3 of the main software. If you don't currently have 3.3 main software, you should have it installed and before the end of this month as it is a free upgrade until that date.

SUSP can occur at several points, most notably when the MAP has been reached. To resume navigation sequence to the missed approach hold, you press the OBS button, but only after SUSP has been annunciated.

It also occurs when holding and when you either can't or don't want to exit the hold. If you are in the missed approach hold, SUSP will remain on regardless what you do to the OBS button. To exit the hold, you have to provide navigation via a Direct-to or a Procedure function. If the hold is in-Lieu of a procedure turn, once you are in the hold, you can use the OBS button to toggle SUSP on and off. If SUSP is on when you approach the hold fix, you will stay in the hold. If it is off, you continue the approach.

SUSP will occur on vectors to final when you are not aligned with the FAF within 45 degrees. In this case, it will automatically go off when you have aligned yourself.

SUSP can also occur a second time during a missed approach procedure after the missed approach where SUSP has come on and the pilot has pressed OBS. The reason it might come on is that the missed approach procedure has a leg that requires you climb to an altitude on a course and then turn to continue the procedure. You get the guidance along the course on the miss and then the SUSP comes on. You wait until you have climbed to the required altitude, and then press the OBS to continue with the next leg of the procedure. The same operation can occur on a departure procedure. If you happen to have air-data input to your 430W/530W, it will automatically sequence to the next leg at the proper altitude.

"Vertical guidance on EVERY GPS approach" is a little strong, but vertical guidance is certainly available on most such approaches. The vertical guidance won't be available on a GPS approach that only has circling minimums and some straight in approaches. When the approach only has LNAV minimums, it is called an advisory glidepath and provides vertical guidance. The pilot is still responsible for assuring that they clear all step down fix minimum altitudes and to not descend below the MDA. If there is an Advisory GP, there are no assurances of obstacle clearance in the visual segment of the approach.

Excellent points, and all true. It still increases your options in an emergency.

And as for the post above about SUSP, that's an awesome roundup. I vote we make it a sticky! :yes:

SUSP is the annunciation that displays above the OBS button and means that the automatic sequencing of waypoints has been suspended. There are differences between the 430/530 and the 430W/530W in the way SUSP occurs, and there are differences based on different levels of software in the 430W/530W. I describe the operation of SUSP below for version 3.3 of the main software. If you don't currently have 3.3 main software, you should have it installed and before the end of this month as it is a free upgrade until that date.

SUSP can occur at several points, most notably when the MAP has been reached. To resume navigation sequence to the missed approach hold, you press the OBS button, but only after SUSP has been annunciated.

It also occurs when holding and when you either can't or don't want to exit the hold. If you are in the missed approach hold, SUSP will remain on regardless what you do to the OBS button. To exit the hold, you have to provide navigation via a Direct-to or a Procedure function. If the hold is in-Lieu of a procedure turn, once you are in the hold, you can use the OBS button to toggle SUSP on and off. If SUSP is on when you approach the hold fix, you will stay in the hold. If it is off, you continue the approach.

SUSP will occur on vectors to final when you are not aligned with the FAF within 45 degrees. In this case, it will automatically go off when you have aligned yourself.

SUSP can also occur a second time during a missed approach procedure after the missed approach where SUSP has come on and the pilot has pressed OBS. The reason it might come on is that the missed approach procedure has a leg that requires you climb to an altitude on a course and then turn to continue the procedure. You get the guidance along the course on the miss and then the SUSP comes on. You wait until you have climbed to the required altitude, and then press the OBS to continue with the next leg of the procedure. The same operation can occur on a departure procedure. If you happen to have air-data input to your 430W/530W, it will automatically sequence to the next leg at the proper altitude.
Great summary, I concur. I saw this on a you tube video from Garmin, but you written explanation ties it up. Thanks
RC

Back