Adding new inspection panels to metal fuselage?

150Mike

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Guzman
Does anybody have any experience or know of any useful references for adding new inspection panels to a semi-monocoque metal fuselage?

I know somebody who wants to cut what essentially amounts to a new "standard" 5-inch inspection panel on the belly of his Cessna 177RG just aft of his MLG wheel wells - and aligned with a similar internal inspection panel in the floor of his aft baggage area.

He uses the aircraft for aerial photography and would then occasionally (temporarily) mount a camera in the baggage area to shoot out through those holes as the need arises.

He told me that he has seen other Cardinals or Cessna aircraft modified with camera ports (or additional "inspection panels") further forward under the cabin, as in the vicinity of the co-pilot's seat, but that is actually too close to the engine's exhaust system which creates problems both for the camera and the pilot!

I didn't see anything on point in the AC 43-13.2B and a straight-up Google search did not turn up anything of use, so I'm trying here with all of you "experts" on everything related to aviation.

I'm pretty sure that I have heard somewhere along the line that it's no big deal to add an inspection panel to a fabric-covered aircraft, but how much more of a "deal" would it be for a metal-skinned airplane?

Thanks!

There are STCs for camera ports. Cost more than the entire cardinal. Not sure whether flying with a 'inspection panel' removed is faa-ok.

Does anybody have any experience or know of any useful references for adding new inspection panels to a semi-monocoque metal fuselage?

I know somebody who wants to cut what essentially amounts to a new "standard" 5-inch inspection panel on the belly of his Cessna 177RG just aft of his MLG wheel wells - and aligned with a similar internal inspection panel in the floor of his aft baggage area.

He uses the aircraft for aerial photography and would then occasionally (temporarily) mount a camera in the baggage area to shoot out through those holes as the need arises.

He told me that he has seen other Cardinals or Cessna aircraft modified with camera ports (or additional "inspection panels") further forward under the cabin, as in the vicinity of the co-pilot's seat, but that is actually too close to the engine's exhaust system which creates problems both for the camera and the pilot!

I didn't see anything on point in the AC 43-13.2B and a straight-up Google search did not turn up anything of use, so I'm trying here with all of you "experts" on everything related to aviation.

I'm pretty sure that I have heard somewhere along the line that it's no big deal to add an inspection panel to a fabric-covered aircraft, but how much more of a "deal" would it be for a metal-skinned airplane?

Thanks!
draw it up, use the Cessna 100 structural repair manual as the reference . submit for approval at your FSDO.

Back