Adding Commerical Helicopter Rating to a Private Airplane Certificate

Acepdr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
PaulR
There was an article published back in 2013, whereby a CFI wrote that you can add a Commercial Helicopter Rating to your existing Private Airplane certificate. As soon as I can remember where I saw this article, I will post a link for it.

For all you CFI's out there, I am looking for your thoughts and comments. Apparently the FAA and some DPE's have take issue with it, but it still seems to hold water, per his statements on the FAR's.

Oh, I found the article, here is the link.
http://helicopterflight.net/Add on.htm

Paul

I agree with the person who wrote that linked article. The regs do no require anything more than a Private Pilot certificate, not a PP with the same cat/class you wish to have on your initial CP cert.

BTW, who in the FAA "takes issue" with that position? If you run into someone at the FSDO level who does, ask to see it in writing from HQ, and if they can't show you that, have them run it up their chain of command to Region and AFS-810. That will fix the problem. Likewise, if a DPE objects, have the DPE contact their POI at the FSDO for clarification.

Last edited:
Definitely cheaper to go PP-ASEL -> CP-Rotor, since getting 150 hours is going to cost gobs more in a helicopter versus a single-engine piston.

I'm actually hoping to do this myself...if I can convince the boss to pay for it.

My understanding is that some schools insist on students being PP-Rotor prior to CP-Rotor training. Whether they do this out of ignorance or as a way to generate more revenue is another question.

Notwithstanding the correct answer to the question, we've found you can actually get the CP-Airplane ticket and then add the helicopter rating for about the same price as just going direct to the helicopter commercial. You do end up with more fixed wing and less rotor craft time but the fixed wing time is cheaper.

Definitely cheaper to go PP-ASEL -> CP-Rotor, since getting 150 hours is going to cost gobs more in a helicopter versus a single-engine piston.

I'm actually hoping to do this myself...if I can convince the boss to pay for it.

My understanding is that some schools insist on students being PP-Rotor prior to CP-Rotor training. Whether they do this out of ignorance or as a way to generate more revenue is another question.

Probably because of the GI bill doesn't allow PP training. (If there still is GI bill!)

Probably because of the GI bill doesn't allow PP training. (If there still is GI bill!)

Yes it does if it's part of a degree completion program. The old (ch 30) didn't pay for private. The new Post 9/11 (ch 33) pays for everything starting with private. It has to be an approved Part 141 school (with private) or one with a degree program. For a 141 school it pays 10 grand per year. For a degree program it's pretty much paid for.

The popular thing right now is the rotary wing stuff. Schools have about 90 % of their students using VA benefits in hopes of landing a helo job when they get out. Some of these schools are doing "creative" ways to get as much from the VA as possible such as having students start in more expensive R44s or having turbine (B206) labs.

I really don't see how we can afford to pay for this stuff. TA has already been cut and I can see GI Bill as well. I guess when the money runs out it'll go back to ch 30 stuff. I'm actually waiting for approval from the VA for my multi training so hopefully it doesn't get cut anytime soon.

Last edited:
I did exactly that about 20 years ago. The only thing to beware of is, as a commercial pilot with 40 hours in helicopters, you won't be Robinson insurable, and probably will not be rotor anything insurable. You will still need to rustle some hours, not impossible, but there is no paved highway with printed instructions to move forward.

In a recent issue of flight training magazine by AOPA, there was an article about pilot training through the VA. It stated our private pilot cert and additional ratings could be paid for without enrolling in an aviation degree program if we use it within the last 18 months of benefits. I guess they figure how much training can we really get done in 18.

Makes sense to build time in fixed wing then go for rotors. As we all know sling-wing pilots are the purest expression of humanity. :D

I got my FAA Commercial Helicopter rating the old fashioned way....... I just asked for it and they gave it to me!!!! :yesnod:

The post 911 gi bill is a great resource if you find the right school.

Makes sense to build time in fixed wing then go for rotors. As we all know sling-wing pilots are the purest expression of humanity. :D

I got my FAA Commercial Helicopter rating the old fashioned way....... I just asked for it and they gave it to me!!!! :yesnod:

+1. They gave us a quick crash course on commercial ops and we took the written. Next thing we know we're all IFR commercial pilots with not a clue on how real commercial ops work. I could do the same with the CFI as well but I have no use for it so I won't.

Back