ADD pilot

A

ADD pilot

i hold a class 3 medical but I feel like I have undiagnosed ADD. So how can i successfully fly an airplane? I have trouble focusing and found ways to cope. Add or adhd cannot pilot a airplane is horse ****. Once I'm in the cockpit running the the check list I'm totally focus. The faa is wrong denying a medical certificate anyone with add or adhd.

Your options are to pretend there is no problem (denial is always an FAA approved treatment), let your medical expire and fly under the sport pilot rules, get a glider rating, or fly under part 103.

I'd say probably a majority of the pilots I've run into have exhibited at least one symptom. It doesn't mean you have it though. It is a spectrum disorder and you don't get an official diagnosis until to cross some point along the spectrum. That doesn't stop many medical practitioners from making a diagnosis based on limited information.

My recommendation to the OP would be to get tested to confirm your self diagnosis. Or not.

I'd say probably a majority of the pilots I've run into have exhibited at least one symptom. It doesn't mean you have it though. It is a spectrum disorder and you don't get an official diagnosis until to cross some point along the spectrum. That doesn't stop many medical practitioners from making a diagnosis based on limited information.

My recommendation to the OP would be to get tested to confirm your self diagnosis. Or not.

I pretty much agree. A large number of airline pilots very likely could easily be diagnosed with ADHD if they presented themselves to a physician that specializes in this area.

I'm told by some health care professionals that one of the traits of someone with ADD is that they can become hyper focused when doing something that interests them, thus the ability of pilots with ADD to focus in the plane. For the life of my I can't figure out why someone with ADD can't be granted the same exceptions that someone with depression and takes an SSRI it seems logical to me but I'm not a doc and I'm not with the FAA so my opinion and buck will get you a cup of coffee.

Adam, the problem as I understand it (and I am no professional!) is that there is no way to predict what the person will focus on... Leading to all the "Oh look, a butterfly!" jokes.

-Skip

Are people with ADD able to get driver's licenses? If so, are data available on their accident rates?

I'm told by some health care professionals that one of the traits of someone with ADD is that they can become hyper focused when doing something that interests them, thus the ability of pilots with ADD to focus in the plane. For the life of my I can't figure out why someone with ADD can't be granted the same exceptions that someone with depression and takes an SSRI it seems logical to me but I'm not a doc and I'm not with the FAA so my opinion and buck will get you a cup of coffee.
They are, Adam. Have you looked at the FAA waiver sheet for it? If you pass it doesn't mean you don't have ADD. It just means yo don't have it as bad as at least 15% of those who try. It's half of the wiaver sheet for the SSRI protocol.....

You have to score mildly enough that the "spectrum" of disease is insufficient to require meds but sufficient to do airman duties. That's why the big neurocognitive testing requirement.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back