Actual purpose of cog screen

Mooneymayhem

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mooneymayhem
Hey everybody,
Due to a diagnosis of ADHD and depression 20 years ago, (been off meds for 10+ years and function just fine) I need to jump through the cog screen hoops and it got me thinking.
Is the purpose of the cog screen to dispute the original diagnosis..or is it merely to find out if you can function well enough with ADHD to be a safe pilot?
Thank you

The latter. The FAA is not practicing medicine and does not give or dispute a previous doctor's opinion. They are merely concerned with whether or not you are able to conduct a flight.

The latter. The FAA is not practicing medicine and does not give or dispute a previous doctor's opinion. They are merely concerned with whether or not you are able to conduct a flight.
Thank you

I haven’t been notified yet but I fear I may have to jump through the cog screen hoop as well.

I haven’t been notified yet but I fear I may have to jump through the cog screen hoop as well.
Just make sure your ADD doesn't cause problems and you jump through the shiny squirrel populated square instead of the hoop.

No to all of the above. There are federal pilot norms by decile. If you can outscore the Bottom 15th percentile of known aviators, “whatever you really have, can’t be all that bad…”

My AME said they may not ask for a cog screen. Hopefully not but if they do I will not have any troubles. My issue was a head injury many years ago that I fully recovered from many years ago. I just wish they would hurry up and do something!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back