Active users display

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
When I see the active users online, I see everyone else's display name, but I see my user ID. Is this the same for everyone?

Yeah, I get the same thing. Never noticed it before. I must have missed something when I hacked that code. :)

Greebo said:
Yeah, I get the same thing. Never noticed it before. I must have missed something when I hacked that code. :)

Not a big deal. Just wondered if my ID showed up to everyone else, or my display name.

Greebo said:
THat's my view of the active users list.

You do realise that your user ID isn't private, however, right?

Yes, I know it's not private and it shows in my posts. But like your display shows greebo for you, mine shows N2212R for me. And Joe....turn around so I can kick you in the pants. :yes: :D

Brings up a point I've been meaning to ask... the user ID, vs. the name. Some of us use the same for both (and yes, even "live", more people probably know me as T Bone than as Terell~ which BTW rhymes with Daryl, and does NOT end like Gazelle :no: ). Thing is, it almost seems like their roles are reversed. One would think the User ID, which shows up under "last post by" would also be the primary "name" at the top of a post. A bit confusing IMHO, and one must learn BOTH (as I have Ed Frederick and N2212R) if you want to watch for posts by that person. I know you can probably add them to a buddy list or what not, but that is beside the point... just seems "backwards" to me....

It probably is. The whole "Display Name" functionality is a customization done by me, and there are a number of places where it just doesn't show up properly.

I'm not sure when or even if I'll ever get around to trying to make it more consistent. It's such a pervasive function that catching all spots is almost impossible, and in the long term updates to the software will undo most of my effort.

Back