Action Cam Tips

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
This is coming up frequently. I am not an expert but I have been hacking at this for about 4 years now.

This is my current kit

20211001_212846.jpg

Go Pro cameras have a lot of issues. I am moving away from them. I am friends with a few other folks that do this and I know a couple others that are moving away from them. I only got as high as a GoPro7 and I finally gave up. I hear the 9 is good and the 10 just came out but for 1/2 the price, I can get the DJI OSMO Action Cam

These things are $199. They are 4k have great image stabilization and the only issue I have had is in the Texas summer, they over heat in direct sunlight. They have a front screen which is nice and they are built tough.

20211001_212905.jpg

Osmo will work with the GoPro feet you probably already have. However, they come with their own as well that actually have a better locking mechanism in my opinion.

I hate moving cameras around and having to move suction cups around so I glued these metal plates to the feet and I got magnetic car cell phone mount and now I set the camera on the mount and the magnets are strong. If the angle is bad, its just a magnet so I twist it as necessary.

20211001_213439.jpg 20211001_213635.jpg

So the camera bolts to those mounts above and I just stick the base to these suction mounts
magwsm2-1000.jpg

What about Audio?

Go Pro requires this cable that costs a hundred bucks:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/pa80s_hero5.php

With the OSMO, you use a $20 adapter and a $50 cable

https://amzn.to/3B5VaaN
https://www.amazon.com/Nflightcam-Smartphone-Aircraft-Audio-Cable/dp/B00HQMLFWC

20211001_212920.jpg

20211001_212944.jpg

You can use the audio adapter on the back, and plug in a charging brick (bottom) to extend recording time.

ALWAYS have 2 sources of audio. 1 will fail at some point and it will frustrate you.

One option is a nice recorder like this one which you can plug into an unused headphone jack. It will record everything you hear. This can be pricey though.

20211001_213024.jpg

A cheaper option is to go with an entry level audio recorder and put this lav mic into one of your headset ear cups. It works very well.

20211001_213052.jpg

You can also use a cell phone and use the hands free ear / mic. wad it up and put it in an ear cup and use a cell voice recorder app to capture audio. It works very well.

This video (Audio) was just using my cellphone, hands free mic bundled and stuffed in my ear cup.

The OSMO audio adapter allows you to run a mic if you want to move it outside the plane. This is what I use when on foot at events like Oshkosh. he "dead cat" does a tremendous job of eliminating wind noise when walking around outside.

20211001_213957.jpg

What about External Mounts?

The FAA hasn't said you cannot mount a camera on your plane but if you are the one guy that does it, it breaks, falls off, and hits someone, then they dump you into the reckless operation bucket.

I have switched to metal mounts like these:
20211001_213223.jpg

20211001_213207.jpg

The Flight Fix metal mounts are good quality.
https://flightflix.net/

I have had several of the plastic mounts crack. These mounts are really solid.

Extra batteries are a must as these things all have variable performance. None are great

I have gotten 9 hours out of the refuel
extended battery pack on my goPro. I am not aware of any such device for the OSMO so I just have a power brick inside the plane that I run to all the internal cameras.

20211001_213207.jpg

20211001_213301.jpg

You will have SD cards die, break, fill up. Get extras. I have this bifold case and if the card is face up, it is empty. If it is face down, it has something on it
20211001_213322.jpg

These little filters clip onto your camera. They are neutral density filters and they eliminate that goofy propeller wet noodle issue you see in a lot of videos. Flying in slightly lower light solves that as well.

20211001_213550.jpg

I have had good luck with this remote. Turning external cameras off and on. I haven't found one for my OSMO yes but I can use my cell phone for that. The Go Pro cell phone remote sucks balls. so I use this for the external gopro but I use my cell for external OSMO.
20211001_213521.jpg

At any rate, this topic comes up from time to time and again, I am no expert, just someone that has done a lot of trial and error to try to figure out what works and what doesn't. Hopefully some of this is helpful

Last edited:
I am still in the figuring out stage so this is really helpful. The one addition I can make to your list is if you have a newer audio panel with Bluetooth out, you can pipe that straight to a cell phone. Make sure your video app knows to record audio from a different source (android native was incapable when I last looked). One less cable floating around made me happy.

"A cheaper option is to go with an entry level audio recorder and put this lav mic into one of your headset ear cups. It works very well."

I use an entry level audio recorder along with a cable that has one extension that the headset plugs into and the other end goes into the audio recorder. the lav mic is separate from that, the lav mic becomes that backup audio right into the gopro. 2 separate things....

something like this:

upload_2021-10-2_10-9-33.png

where 1) plugs into the mic jack in your panel (where you'd normally plug your headset into), 2) this is now where u plug your headset into, and 3) plugs into the audio recorder. when I was recording a bunch of videos, I'd just leave this cable plugged into the panel and plug my headset into it instead of the panel.

It's like a cooking tutorial, except without the food.

Back