Accidents at KHND and KVNY This Weekend

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Wow...saw not one but two accidents this weekend:

1. KVNY Piper Retractable (not sure which model): Pilot tried for one hour to get gear down. He finally gave up and landed in the grass between the runways near the beginning of 16L. He walked away. The plane was a mess.

2. KHND (near Las Vegas): Saw it on my takeoff...no details. Looked like a Cessna (152?) that may have lost power on takeoff and landed on the road just south of the runway.

Wow...saw not one but two accidents this weekend:

1. KVNY Piper Retractable (not sure which model): Pilot tried for one hour to get gear down. He finally gave up and landed in the grass between the runways near the beginning of 16L. He walked away. The plane was a mess.

2. KHND (near Las Vegas): Saw it on my takeoff...no details. Looked like a Cessna (152?) that may have lost power on takeoff and landed on the road just south of the runway.

IMHO runway is better than grass.

Bob Gardner

My instructor (who coached him down) recommended the grassy area as there's less of a chance for sparks and fire.

Gotta join the me-too crowd on the runway vs grass. Too easy to dig in and come to a more abrupt stop on grass, and it's that sudden stop that creates tissue trauma and kills ya.

That decision screams "be nice to the airplane underbelly" instead of choosing the safest thing for the humans inside.

Airplane broke. Airplane doesn't deserve any love at that point. The insurance company owns it. Save the humans.

history shows that the pavement really isn't that hard on the belly anyway. and many piper models have external ribs running the length of the fuselage which i believe are there to protect the structure in the event of a gear up.

I'd take a paved surface over grass. Dig in on one side with uneven grass and you spin around. On pavement and under control, it's Slide, Kelly Slide.

Back