Accident on during first solo at VNC (Venice, FL)

The report says different for the winds, "The wind speed in Venice on Sunday afternoon was about 9 miles per hour, with gusts of 14 mph." What is the real value and where did you get you numbers?

The report says different for the winds, "The wind speed in Venice on Sunday afternoon was about 9 miles per hour, with gusts of 14 mph." What is the real value and where did you get you numbers?

The accident happened about 10:00 in the morning. It happened just before I arrived at the airport.

The numbers I gave came from the VNC AWOS about 15 minutes after the accident.

Re: Accident during first solo at VNC (Venice, FL)

FBO guy said:
"There's things we can do as the airport operator, and the rest is up to the pilot," Watts said.
That seems a bit cold, considering he's talking about basically a pre-solo student out to try it by himself for the very first time! Never PIC before, and BARELY PIC for that flight! :(

That seems a bit cold, considering he's talking about basically a pre-solo student out to try it by himself for the very first time! Never PIC before, and BARELY PIC for that flight! :(

Chances are good that when placed in the proper context of the interview, that quote would make a little more sense.

I wonder if any of these students are going to continue flying?

I wonder if any of these students are going to continue flying?
Unless they are shown to simply not be capable of handling an aircraft safely, I hope they do continue. They were found competent to head off on a solo flight.

They will be reviewed as Will their CFI's. Hopefully, they will choose to return along with the remedial training to put them back at the point they were but better.

As a student pilot, a female writer in one of the journals had once made a hard landing, bounced and went off the side of runway resulting in a propeller strike. She was ready to give up and never fly again. While the FBO owner wasn't thrilled in seeing his plane bent up, he reassured her and told her the greatest tragedy of all would be letting her give up the dream of flight.

Yeah, but it's honest, and sometimes the truth is just a cold *****. When you are PIC, "You're IT". I imagine if there were more of the interview printed, that the person wouldn't sound so cold, no one likes this stuff, but that was the relevant statement when it came time to edit down.

Back