Accident Case Study: Delayed Reaction

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
I am sure some of you watched this: video

It was surprising how fast the boots got overwhelmed. It serves as a reminder that even a capable airplane has limitations.

Damn rich hobby pilots/joking, skewer the pilot guys will be posting soon enough. Looks like Northeast weather can be more then a TBM can handle.

Damn rich hobby pilots/joking, skewer the pilot guys will be posting soon enough. Looks like Northeast weather can be more then a TBM can handle.

Maybe, but at least you will be first in :yes:

Icing is no joke. Problem is when you have that capable of an aircraft you'd be damned if a little icing PIREP in the northeast is gonna stop you from pressing ahead. That no-go stuff is for the piston prop jobs. Turns out, it's not. That hurts the go, when you're paying top dollar for your conveyance, as opposed to my relatively minor flying expenditure for lesser equipment by comparison.

Just like having an IR, having a higher performance craft complicates the decision matrix because it exposes you to challenges you'd be much quicker to be dissuaded by when flying self-admitted lower performing airplanes.

That whole business of leveling off in the teens and watching the show as if all is good while you wait for that ATC guy to stretch and refill his coffee, because I have a turbine up front after all, is a little too non-chalant for my taste.

And to address the rich pilot angle, actually on this one I'll give the rich pilot a pass. I think a poor piston prop job pilot would have pooched it in similar manner, normalizing for the fact the poor pilot aircraft most likely would have not gotten to the teens in the first place.

We as pilots are notorious to reacting in a manner that saves us face, even if it costs us our lives. You have to be willing to break regs and bend metal in order to save your life. I've seen it [responding gingerly to dire situations] done by military pilots, airline pilots and recreational pilots alike. That response is pretty inelastic among pilot classes.

Posing only a question here. Since he had reasonable weather down low, as in under 10K, I wonder if it wouldn't have been a better decision, given the considerable number of pilot reports of moderate icing in the mid to high teens, to stay down there until further south to get into the warmer weather. Do turbines perform that poorly down low as to preclude this?

Posing only a question here. Since he had reasonable weather down low, as in under 10K, I wonder if it wouldn't have been a better decision, given the considerable number of pilot reports of moderate icing in the mid to high teens, to stay down there until further south to get into the warmer weather. Do turbines perform that poorly down low as to preclude this?

Also turn on the cowel inlet icing?

They don't perform poorly, they just sip more gas for less speed. That's exactly what I would have done. Cap that flight low and slow, tell the fam in the back, 'sorry kids, it may be bumpy' and burn a little bit more gas for a 1/3 of the trip until clear of the front, then back up for a uneventful landing at PDK or wherever they were going. But that's me playing pretend with money I don't have and airplanes I'll never be able to afford.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back