Accident at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
There was a crash at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome on Sunday.
I think this is the plane that was involved. I know it was a Tigermoth.
This is what I was told:
Soon after takeoff, the Tigermoth lost the engine. The pilot made a successful "impossible turn" and was able to get back to the runway. Unfortunately, he was downwind (blowing pretty good) and was long and fast. To avoid going out into the road at the end of the runway the pilot turned into the tree line.
The pilot was (mostly) unhurt, but the plane was heavily damaged.
The owner\pilot, Mike, is standing on top as they fuel the plane. This was taken on Sept. 7, 2013.

Glad the pilot wasn't seriously hurt. For anyone who hasn't been to Old Rhinebeck, there is not much other than tall trees to put a plane down in . Definitely a tough place to lose an engine.

Glad the pilot wasn't seriously hurt. For anyone who hasn't been to Old Rhinebeck, there is not much other than tall trees to put a plane down in . Definitely a tough place to lose an engine.

Pretty much sums up the options.
Trees and rocks.
Trees and swamp.

Glad for the pilot,sad for the airplane. Love Old Rhinebeck.

I had to ask my wife what year it was we visited Old Rhinebeck...she informed me it was 1997, sixteen years ago!

No wonder I feel old. :eek:

I had to ask my wife what year it was we visited Old Rhinebeck...she informed me it was 1997, sixteen years ago!

No wonder I feel old. :eek:

I believe it was around 1977 for me. I spent a few weeks with my cousin that lived between there and Red Hook. We used to ride our bikes right next to the Aerodrome.

I still remember going there as a child so it must have been the mid to late 60s.

Back