Accelerated IR Student - Passed!

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Just got the call from the DPE. My accelerated student who I've been putting through accelerated instruction (i.e. grueling torture) over the past 2 weeks just passed his instrument checkride!

He found the course to be intense, but also efficient at teaching and cementing the fundamentals of instrument flight. The syllabus allowed for efficient introduction of all the fundamentals, and then practicing with good realism, as well as flexibility to focus on what he needed to work on.

Now, who's next? :)

Some questions:
1) How many hours did he have previously?
2) How many hours did he receive from you ground/flight/simulated/solo?
3) What was his total dollar outlay?

And finally: Congratulations on helping him pass the first time!

Come up here with your Aztruck and give me my MEI add on.

In return I'll let you stay in my house for free and feed you. Let's see, accommodations in the center of Denali Park, all inclusive, generally run north of $300/day. Ok I'll buy the juice too and throw in free nature walks.

That thing burns mogas right? ;)

Some questions:

I second Telemakhos in his questions. And would like to be the first to congratulate you, but I missed that opportunity.
Good start! Hope you will have many students who pass the check ride!

Some questions:

1) We started with him at about 280 hours total tie, and he came to me with 5.5 hours of hood time previously. However, he's been flying since before I was born (literally), and before I knew what a piston was was about the last time he had hood time. He had done very little flying for the past year, and we did it in the plane he doesn't usually fly.

2) He didn't do any solo hours. The idea with this course is that rather than going and flying with a safety pilot, you spend all your flying time with the instructor. That's how I did my IR and I think it leads to a better overall learning experience. We ended up doing about 40 hours of flight, and probably 50 of ground. There was a pretty significant briefing every day, as well as going over various concepts, considerations, etc. associated with the IR.

3) Well, came out to around 45 hours or so of the plane (this will vary depending on your plane), and 11 days of my time ($3300). Since he's based where I live, I didn't need to travel and thus he didn't have the travel expenses. Really, it's hard to do it much cheaper.

The DPE and I had a good debrief. He made a few mistakes, just like you'd expect any new instrument pilot (or any pilot) to make. He and I will have a few follow-up flights, and I've made suggestions to him for how to proceed and start putting his rating to work. The main suggestion is that he start filing when he flies, and have the first few flights be good VFR days where he has the easy out ("Cancel IFR") and just get used to doing this stuff on his own.

Come up here with your Aztruck and give me my MEI add on.

In return I'll let you stay in my house for free and feed you. Let's see, accommodations in the center of Denali Park, all inclusive, generally run north of $300/day. Ok I'll buy the juice too and throw in free nature walks.

That thing burns mogas right? ;)

If you buy the plane off me I'll throw in a free multi rating (you pay for fuel), and then I don't care what you put in it. ;)

Good info Ted. Since I'm currently in between jobs I'm thinking of doing an accelerated IR with an instructor at the flight school I got my PP. My hope is to get it done in at least a month. Looks like the possibility exists.

Good info Ted. Since I'm currently in between jobs I'm thinking of doing an accelerated IR with an instructor at the flight school I got my PP. My hope is to get it done in at least a month. Looks like the possibility exists.

Or you could come up to beautiful Williamsport and do it here in slightly cooler temps. I even travel. ;)

The syllabus I use plans for 12 days of flying. If you allow 2 weeks, then that's more than sufficient, and gives some extra days for time you need to take off for whatever reason, or extra days to work on areas that need extra attention.

Congrats Ted - it is a great feeling when you have a student pass a checkride. Probably better then when I passed my checkride(s).

I would love to go next, but I don't own a plane and my club specifically prohibits outside instructors.

Congrats Ted - it is a great feeling when you have a student pass a checkride. Probably better then when I passed my checkride(s).

Definitely. This student has a much better understanding of the various headwork aspects of instrument flight than I did when I got my instrument rating. I was glad to be able to make sure he had that understanding.

Most accelerated programs I've taken a look at, require the student first pass the written ... Is this a pre-requisite of your accelerated curriculum as well?

Most accelerated programs I've taken a look at, require the student first pass the written ... Is this a pre-requisite of your accelerated curriculum as well?
I'm not ted, but as a CFII, given the limited time it is most certainly in your best interest to pass it first. I'm sure he'd be flexible but there just isn't a good reason to get it out of the way from the get go.

Jesse is correct. This student hadn't yet passed the written, so we took a one-day break early-on in the course for him to go take the written. There's a good place near here to get it done - the guy who does them is very nice.

All students who come should be prepared to take the written. If you are, we can do a quick review and then I can provide the appropriate sign-off and you can go take the written. If you aren't prepared for the written, what will end up happening is we can complete the portions you need for the oral and practical, but then you'll have the burden of the written hanging over your head, with a 60-day window to get your checkride completed. So, it's in the best interest of the student to have the written taken care of prior to starting the course.

1)

If you buy the plane off me I'll throw in a free multi rating (you pay for fuel), and then I don't care what you put in it. ;)

Two questions, not necessarily in order of priority: How much, and does the interior smell like a dog fart by now?

Congrats to your student and to you too!!!!!

May be interested in the ME rating, some interesting opportunities may be available to me at ILG.

Last edited:
Back