Accelerated Instrument Rating Programs

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I am slowly plugging away at my instrument rating. I am having a hard time mostly due to instructor availability. Local instructors are generally left-seat pilots first, right-seat pilots second, so it's not realistic to commit to a training schedule. I want to find an accelerated course to get checkride ready without a lot of 2-week breaks between 1.5-hour lessons.

The problems I face:
1. Searching online for accelerated courses finds two categories: very expensive career-track operations and websites last updated in 2012
2. I am in the middle of nowhere and, while I could fly anywhere in the lower 48 for lessons, it's impossible to plan for such a trip to occur on a nationwide VFR day (and I do prefer to fly my own plane as much as possible, primarily to save money)
3. I have one of those jobs where I can easily get away for 3-4 days even in the middle of the week, but getting away for 7-10 days is much more difficult
4. My hours are short for the courses typically advertised as "finish up" courses, with just 7 hours of instrument time (all with a CFII)

Does anyone have a pirep for a good accelerated instrument training course that is still in operation, doesn't break the bank, and will work with me on scheduling so I can do, for example, a pair of 4-day weekends instead of 10 days straight? Ideally in the upper midwest like Minneapolis or close to Phoenix where I have a place to stay and defray the costs a bit.

I (and a few others here) have used Professional Instrument Courses (PIC) and found them very capable doing a good job. 1-800-I-Fly-IFR, talk to Donn H. For this course, they will find a compatible instructor and send him to you, along with course materials and a simulator. If you don't own an aircraft, they have contacts at FBO's across the country to get decent rental rates.

Another one is GATTS in Manhattan, KS. This is a school that you will go to, but part of the package offered includes lodging. And you use the aircraft in their fleet, or bring your own.

For both schools, this image is a good descriptor

091615_1554_Drinkingfro1.jpg

Be ready to learn.
Have your daily/nightly reading lessons completed and understood before the next ground session.
Pay close attention during the ground sessions
Eat properly (no over eating or heavy sleep inducing food) and get good rest at night.
During flight training, continuously work on performing the maneuvers to PTS standards.

It will be intense, but if you are properly prepared, it will be worth it.

When it comes to learning things, I only drink from firehoses. :)

How did PIC's prices compare with GATTS? Did you get an impression of PIC's willingness to do a 4+3+3 or 5+5 plan instead of 10 days straight?

I didn't price shop when I made my choice, so no info on that area.

As far as willingness to split the time, I guess that is possible, though you may be on the hook for additional expenses for the instructor downtime. Best to call their office and speak with Donn H. about it.

A third possibility that might work with the timing is to seek out Jesse Angell (same Jesse that is one of the MC on this board). He is based near Lincoln, NE and has done IFR bootcamps for a few of our members, @denverpilot (Nate) amongst them. Perhaps he could accomodate your schedule.

Obxflight. In eastern North Carolina. Around 4000 using his plane and think they might be housing you again. They weren't able to for awhile. Little cheaper to use your plane but not enough to hardly pay gas. Price Includes everything except examiners fee.

I did the PIC course. I got a couple of days off for good behavior (which yes they did refund me for). It was exactly what I needed. May not be for everyone, but talk to them. If you have questions, I'll be glad to share my experience.

Did you get an impression of PIC's willingness to do a 4+3+3 or 5+5 plan instead of 10 days straight?

PIC can be VERY flexible but it will depend on instructor availability and proximity. They Intstructors based all over the country so if one is near you it could work out. I would start by giving them a call. Did the 10 with them and would do it again in a heartbeat.

When it comes to learning things, I only drink from firehoses. :)

How did PIC's prices compare with GATTS? Did you get an impression of PIC's willingness to do a 4+3+3 or 5+5 plan instead of 10 days straight?

I did GATTS. GATTS was cheaper. You fly a lot, and they expect you to have already taken your written. So the ground school they do focus on is really key points ground school like holds, entry, lost comms, etc. They allocate, I believe, 7 or 8 days but it is in the case you fail so they can work with you for a day and then retest. I flew home on the 6th day. Keep in mind that to fly the 40 IFR hours, minus what you did during VFR, it ends up being a TON of flying and procedure repetition for 5+ straight days. We did some sim work in lieu of actual air work to break things up. I thought it was a great experience. I now fly IFR every time I get in my plane starting from the first day I flew back home from GATTS -- that first flight IFR, I had to shoot an arrival and ILS approach in IMC conditions. Felt incredibly comfortable. No regrets and I highly advocate GATTS. In fact I am thinking about going back to get my commercial.

+1 for OBXFLIGHT. Did my IR with Scott. Like a boot camp but highly recommended. My wife also flew an hour with him in IMC and afterwards regretted that she didn't go with him when she did hers.

I tried to use Scott at OBX but could not work out a time. I went with CRAFT (IFR6) out of Charleston SC ---- KCHS. Super good program but extremely intense --- my head hurt so bad by the end of the day.... As good luck would have it we flew in IMC the entire week with ceilings from 500 to 1200 and only missed one afternoon due to storms. That day we stayed in the sim all day. As a recommendation if you are a fairly low time pilot as I was when I started IR make sure you are proficient on the radio. I did all of my PPL out of a small non towered airport and only talked to ATC on occasion. So the first few days of communication I felt like a monkey on a football. My CFII picked up on that immediately so from the beginning all communications in the sim were as if I was talking to ATC down to the note pad and read backs.....

I did all of my PPL out of a small non towered airport and only talked to ATC on occasion.
Same here and that has been an adjustment. I really wish I had picked up flight following when I was on solo cross-country flights before and after getting my PPL. I enjoy the alone time but it would have been nice to practice talking to Center a bit more. I will say that Sporty's VFR Communications DVD did more to help me with this than the IFR version did, though, as the VFR video focuses on succinct, correct phraseology, which gets you 90% of the way there on all aviation radio chatter.

Back