ABQ

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Is AEG too far from downtown? What is the traffic like in the middle of the day?

Is AEG too far from downtown? What is the traffic like in the middle of the day?

AEG is a bit further away, but cannot be more than 30 minutes, more likely 20. ABQ is about 15 minutes away. IMHO it's a wash, unless you have your motorcade ready to wisk you to your destination before the plane is tied down.

Since I'm local at Cutter, I never had an opportunity to know how onerous their landing fee is. I see transient Moonies stop there though, so it cannot be too bad.

Note that Cutter's ramp is being repaved right now. Last time I was there, everyone parked at the back of the big hangar, with hangar itself being out of service (because paving was on the front side).

Oh and another thing: Bode is not open around the clock, Cutter is. Dunno about Atlantic.

Dave, if you're going to Albuquerque for a day or two, ABQ makes more sense. I use Cutter there, and if you buy fuel (?12 gal minimum) there's no landing or ramp fee, and overnight parking is about $10 for a single. They have rental cars on site and easy access to public transportation. Ask for the 25 cent per gallon fuel discount for AOPA members. Enterprise is at the FBO, but if you prefer another car company, the rental complex is a few minutes walk away, or they can drop you off.

Double Eagle has cheaper fuel, and parking at $5 a night after the first, but it is farther out. It's an easy ride, but about 20 minutes to town. Would not be concerned about road delays in the middle of the day. Unless someone is meting you there, you will need a rental car to get anywhere, but they have them at good rates at the Bode FBO. If I were staying several nights I'd go there.

Traffic and ATC will not be a factor for you at either airport. Expect to be at 9500 coming from the east until you are past the ABQ departure path, so a steep descent to AEG if there's traffic.
Jon

Back