ABC's Wide World of Flying

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I've only seen a few of these tapes, but the ones I saw I enjoyed. I know it's old stuff, but I still enjoyed 'em! ;-)

Are they still available? I thought I saw them for sale as a DVD set recently, but I can't find them now.

I've only seen a few of these tapes, but the ones I saw I enjoyed. I know it's old stuff, but I still enjoyed 'em! ;-)

Are they still available? I thought I saw them for sale as a DVD set recently, but I can't find them now.

I guess not! Anybody HAVE a set that I could borrow or buy?

Yes, all of the videos in the series, along with some others, are available on DVD from Aviation Media, Inc. (http://www.wwof.com). I just ordered one from them a couple of months ago.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Thank you Jeff. I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but couldn't find it even with Google. That'll make sales tough for them!

I have a complete set of ABC WWoF VHS tapes...and the Aileron videos that preceded ABC's acquistion of the franchise.

Make me an offer.

Shipping may be a bit steep.

I had the first year, but in all the moves that I've made in the last eight years, I don't have a clue what happened to them. My favorite part was the interview with Pappy Boyington.

I have a complete set of ABC WWoF VHS tapes...and the Aileron videos that preceded ABC's acquistion of the franchise.

Make me an offer.

Shipping may be a bit steep.

I'm not familiar with the Aileron series. How many tapes in that part of the collection? Are they WWOF videos in good condition? I think I still have a VCR somewhere... in a closet...

I think you are right, about the shipping cost; those would be heavy.

I have two Aileron videos issued before they stopped production in 1986 ($99 subscription for 4 quarterly issues that didn't pan out). There are 21 ABC WWoF tapes 1987-1992. Only played once or twice since last one was shipped in 1992. No guarantee on their condition. The have been in a box collecting dust since the mid 90's.

The Aviation Media website indicates there are 23 editions, but I only received 21 in the original subscription. The 2 extras may be a re-edit of left over footage from the original production?

These videos sell for $15-$20 each on the internet. The 23 tape collection I have has a total weight of ~18 lbs.

I'm not familiar with the Aileron series. How many tapes in that part of the collection? Are they WWOF videos in good condition? I think I still have a VCR somewhere... in a closet...

I think you are right, about the shipping cost; those would be heavy.

I had never heard of the series. Is it any good? What do they cover?

This is exactly why they should have some segments available for viewing on their site or youtube.

EDIT: They do have some SNIPPETS of sections of videos on their on-demand site. Click the thumbnails in each category to get a feel...

http://www.wwofondemand.com/

It's all General Aviation stuff... I enjoyed the copy I saw, which was the one where they covered the Lancair aircraft, ditching, pilot clothing (flame retardation), etc. They set clothes on fire to show you how various clothes might burn or melt... The in-flight stuff was cool. I'd just like to see the rest of the titles.

If I get them, maybe I'll bring a few to Gastons for evening viewing... do they have DVD players on the TV's in the rooms?

Last edited:
If I get them, maybe I'll bring a few to Gastons for evening viewing... do they have DVD players on the TV's in the rooms?

No.

But we do set up the projector and screen (bedsheet?) by the runway at night!

Back