AARGH!! Windows Media doesn't work!!

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
Tried to install WMP 11 - no dice, said there's a general access failure (whatever that means). Tried 10, nope. Tried 9, but it won't do that one because the box thinks that 10 is installed. But 10 doesn't work.

If I try and uninstall it I get this warning that everything from notepad to the built-in cigarette lighter/espresso maker may no longer work! So I'm scared to uninstall it. DANG!!!

You know, you wouldn't have this problem if you'd just buy a... Oh, never mind. ;)

Ugh. Tom I can't help you. But before I upgrade anything, I image the whole disc on an external HD with Acronis. Then if I don't like the outcome, computer gets booted on the Acronis Unix CD, and we rewrite the HD. "Sleepy time, computer....when you wake up, it'll all be back to normalllll...."

I've recently upgraded to WMP 11 (from 10) although I can't find anything on WMP that says so. From the "ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS", I did find WMP 11 listed. No problems so far.
The general access failure might be not having the authorization to run a particular file. Or it may be you do not have the codec to play that particular type of file.
One possible solution is to re-install WMP 11. Select CUSTOM install and watch what filetypes it plays. Do not select (or unselect) MP4 and MOV filetypes. Those are for QUICKTIME and if you had QUICKTIME installed, you might try reinstalling that (using CUSTOM as well). If you had that installed, it may be that WMP and QT have crossed each other up.
That is the problem with Windows products. They seldom give the user choice when registering filetypes and often overlay other entries. I still can't browse MAPBLAST maps in firefox because some piece of crap software wiped out a setting.

Back