AAAE Programs - Worth or no?

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
So I've been looking at AAAE's accrediation programs since I am interested in airport operations and airport stuff in general. I'm wondering if they are worth the money or if any of you have them. I'm interested in the topics but not sure if I should spend that much for something that isn't worth it and could be used for flying again instead. :dunno:

AAAE Membership
Since I'm not enrolled in classes full time and my 1 year of experience isn't full time, I fall into the "Associate" category (maybe the "Participating" category), which is $325/year.

The Certified Member Program - Test is 180 multiple choice questions, $200 fee.

Read and study the "Body of Knowledge" ($85, reduced to $35 with the CM program?) which has 4 modules:

-Finance and Administration

• distinguish between the various forms of airport ownership and operation
  • identify key legal considerations regarding airport management
  • describe the applicable regulations, grant assurances, FAA Orders, Advisory Circulars and other airport management guidance and regulatory documents
  • differentiate airport categories
  • explain the different regulatory agencies and trade organizations that affect airport management
  • identify and assess aeronautical revenue sources as related to airport size, demographics and characteristics
  • describe the benefits and impetus for airport strategic plans
  • describe airport property management principles and key documents
  • explain airport operating, finance and budget terminology and interpret airport financial reports
  • identify and explain airport capital funding sources
  • explain airport insurance requirements
  • describe Essential Air Service (EAS)
  • recognize the various capabilities of the American Association of Airport Executives
  • discuss Airport Executive career paths, training and certification opportunities and benefits
  • differentiate between types of airport planning (i.e., business, master, etc.) and explain both the strategic planning process and long-term objectives
-Planning, Construction, and Environmental

• describe key elements in an airport Informational Technology program
  • explain the NPIAS the ACIP process and State and Metropolitan Area System Planning
  • explain the role of the Airport Master Plan and describe the elements included in a Master Plan Study
  • recognize airfield markings, signs and lighting configurations, look and function
  • construct the Part 77 surfaces
  • describe terminal design considerations and key factors, such as passenger flow and services, and explain ADA, FTZ, ARFF and SRE requirements
  • identify key issues and characteristics of the airports' runway and taxiway system, and Other Landing Facilities
  • determine which environmental regulations contribute to the requirements of airport operators
  • explain the environmental review process including categorical exclusions, environmental assessments and environmental impact statements; explain the exceptions
  • recognize key capacity and delay issues including those elements that contribute to delay in the system
  • describe the legislative acts relevant to airport noise and their resultant impact on airport operators
  • compare and contrast between the Part 150 and Part 161 studies; know the key elements of the Part 150 study
  • explain the airport construction management process
-Airport Ops, Security, and Maintenance

• describe the Safety Management System and its use on airports
  • distinguish between airport classes as related to Part 139 and explain the function and development of the Airport Certification Manual (ACM)
  • distinguish the four types of self-inspections and the key elements of the self-inspection process
  • describe the pavement maintenance processes and distinguish between various types of airfield pavement and explain the rating system
  • describe the elements of the snow and ice control plan and recognize key concerns during a snow removal operation
  • explain the aircraft rescue and fire fighting requirements at an airport including hazardous materials, and the Airport Emergency Plan (AEP)
  • recognize the inspection requirements within all elements of Part 139
  • describe the role of airport communications
  • describe the primary events that formed aviation security policy and explain the role of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
  • describe the requirements for an airport as related to an Airport Security Program (ASP)
  • discuss general aviation airport security issues
  • describe the general security requirements for aircraft operators
  • describe the role of law enforcement at an airport
-Communications and Community Relations

• explain the roles and responsibilities of the Airport Executive within a politically charged environment
  • describe the challenges and benefits of citizen participation in public policy making
  • explain the key marketing questions that should be addressed prior to beginning a marketing endeavor
  • differentiate other types of airport marketing
  • construct a marketing plan utilizing the key elements and describe the appropriate marketing mix for the various types of airports
  • explain the uses of social media and how it has changed marketing and public relations
  • describe how airports attempt to develop air service including best practices, common strategies and goals
  • describe the role of public relations at an airport including methods of managing the media in both the promotional role and the Public Information Officer role
  • explain the key elements of public relations in crisis
  • explain the economic impacts of airports and aviation on the local economy
There's the AAE Accreditation which you complete a thesis and interview for... which I can't do right now anyway, because you have to have 1 year full time airport management experience.

And then there's the ACE (Airport Certified Employee) program, which has 5 specialties you can focus on.

Airfield Lighting Maintenance
Operations
Communications
Security
Trusted Agent

These have a $490 fee to each of the ACE programs and I'm not sure if that comes with materials to study or not. To be honest, the only one of those I'm interested in is Operations, maybe Security as a second thought.

I think I could do well in Airport Operations with some training like this, but again, not sure if worth. Do you guys have any of these programs under your belt or know anyone who has?

AAAE stole the playbook from PMI for creating industry certification programs that serve as a nice profit center for the organization.

Most folks I know who have done the programs have done so at their employer's expense. As far as whether it's worth it, it depends. It doesn't hurt to have it on your resume, particularly if you actual airport operations expirence is light.

AAAE stole the playbook from PMI for creating industry certification programs that serve as a nice profit center for the organization.

Most folks I know who have done the programs have done so at their employer's expense. As far as whether it's worth it, it depends. It doesn't hurt to have it on your resume, particularly if you actual airport operations expirence is light.

Yeah, only a year of actual experience. Part time is the most I could get. Employer wouldn't pay for it either. Pretty steep costs but if it helps me land a great job (and of course teaches me stuff relevant to my job) it could pay for itself. :dunno:

From what I have heard, the test is no cake-walk.

Back