AA to begin using iPads with JeppTC Pro

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
American Airlines has notified their pilot community of the following:

I know you’ve all been anxiously awaiting news on the status of our Jeppesen/iPad program implementation. I am extremely happy to report that the months of hard work and expert negotiations between the company and Jeppesen have paid off: we officially have a contract.

This means that pilots on approved aircraft will be authorized to use the Jeppesen Mobile Terminal Chart (JeppTC Pro) application in all phases of flight. Not just that, but AA is the first commercial airline to have both the Jeppesen contract and FAA approval to use the JeppTC application in flight.

Even more exciting is the company’s decision to issue all active pilots and instructors a 16GB, AT&T 3G iPad for their use in the operation and training. That process will begin this month, and we expect to have all pilots and instructors equipped with iPads by late November.

With that, however, we are not holding up progress. Since we have an agreement in place with Jeppesen, in the next couple weeks, we will launch a voluntary program on our 777 fleet for those pilots who already have the iPad and required spare battery. Our 737 line test is underway and we intend to begin the limited line test on the S80 and 757/767 fleets in the very near future, pending satisfactory completion of their EMI tests. Our plan is to have all of our fleets approved to use the JeppTC Pro application by the end of the year. Aggressive, maybe, but I think we’ve waited long enough.

Any idea what they mean by "required spare battery"? I use an external battery that can power the iPad via a USB connection; maybe they'll have something similar?

Last edited:
That's what I was guessing, because, as you know, the battery on iPads is not user replaceable. I've got a couple of those New Trent batteries.

Me too (two of them). They work great. Especially impressive is how they stay cool and don't get hot, considering the capacity and mAH flow.

Yeah, my finger didn't come off the shift key fast enough... I type fast!

Haha. No I meant that a current divided by time isn't something that flows. (Gotta take the "h" off of it.) The correction of the capitalization was a side-effect. ;)

Kinda like when people type "watts". It's a dude's last name... And a unit of measure. Should always be "Watts"! ;) (Pet peeves for $500, Alex!)

In your case, easier to just say "current" than saying "mA" flow. ;) ;) ;)

But, even then, it's only 2.1A max flowing in any of these chargers if they're iPad-rated. If not, typically never above 1A. At 5 VDC. It's piddly. ;)

If something can't stay cool to the touch providing that, it's a pretty sad design. :)

I think my dash lights in my truck pull more current than that, at 13.8VDC (nominal). :) :) :)

I was in Dallas using Foreflight to set up a trip I was taking the next day and a couple of dead heading pilots were looking over my shoulder - so I offered to show them - they did not own or operate GA airplanes - so I showed them how I used it - turned on the 4G to pull down a current briefing, the radars and sat photos - and we sat there planning my flight. They were astonished that it had more capability than their onboard FMC [except obviously the AP functions] and were talking about it as we were boarding the flight.

Haha. No I meant that a current divided by time isn't something that flows. (Gotta take the "h" off of it.) The correction of the capitalization was a side-effect. ;)

Kinda like when people type "watts". It's a dude's last name... And a unit of measure. Should always be "Watts"! ;) (Pet peeves for $500, Alex!)

In your case, easier to just say "current" than saying "mA" flow. ;) ;) ;)

But, even then, it's only 2.1A max flowing in any of these chargers if they're iPad-rated. If not, typically never above 1A. At 5 VDC. It's piddly. ;)

If something can't stay cool to the touch providing that, it's a pretty sad design. :)

I think my dash lights in my truck pull more current than that, at 13.8VDC (nominal). :) :) :)

Ah, gotcha... good catch.

This is impossible since a number of experts on this board have declared unequivocally the iPad cannot be used in the cockpit. :goofy:

Cheers

This is impossible since a number of experts on this board have declared unequivocally the iPad cannot be used in the cockpit. :goofy:

Cheers
Used for what? In some applications, they might be right. But I don't think anyone (expert or otherwise) has said the iPad is not capable of being used as an EFB, which is what AA plans to do with it.

Cheers

I imagine they work great in the front office of a 737, there's probably enough room to use it (though, it's been a long time since I boarded a 737 or looked in the cockpit), and having angry birds handy might even keep the pilots awake. :D

Back