AA crash Jamaica

Wow , Thank god that thing didn't go into the water . Not speculating here but just for reference , the 800 suffers from high take off and landing speeds . You can plant the thing anywhere but touching down smoothly within the TDZ actually takes a bit of work . The dry no wind rollout distance at MSL is right about 3000FT with typical landing flap settings . That's straight out of the ODM .

Isn't typical Vref for an -800 around 150? How does that compare to the A320 or other similar airplanes?

Isn't typical Vref for an -800 around 150? How does that compare to the A320 or other similar airplanes?

What weight? What PA? What runway condition?

There is no "typical" Vref for transport category aircraft.

I would say 150 would be to the heavy side. At mid weights or lower it would be significantly lower.

VREFs can range from approx. 125-155 in the 37. They also have anti-skid and 4 levels of auto-brake. Glad everyone lived...sucks everyones day got ruined though.

There is no "typical" Vref for transport category aircraft.

I would say 150 would be to the heavy side. At mid weights or lower it would be significantly lower.

The speeds change about 1 KT for every 2000 LBS . Flaps 15 ( Which is still used at some carriers during unstable conditions ) would add 12-15 KTS . NOT speculating mind you , but with 130 people , this plane was not very heavy . MSLW is 154300 ( This varies by customer ) .

Not good...

attachment.php

(Sorry, don't know the source of the original to credit it, was sent to me this way...)

Attachments

• screen-capture (2).png
    screen-capture (2).png
    296.9 KB · Views: 56
And UAL has not had a Pilot Error fatality since 1978. And IIRC, they haven't had a Pilot Error hull loss since then either.

This from my retired NTSB friend.

Attachments

• RELEASEFORAMERICANAIRLINESFLIGHT331ACCIDENTINVESTIGATION.pdf
    67.5 KB · Views: 17
Back