A380 in a crosswind

Yeah.. That's the translation I got, too.

Y'know, the A380 is an ugly-ass airplane, but I cannot help but be impressed by it.

Airbus is losing so much on that albatross, they'll be feeding at the teat of the Euro governments for years.

i wonder if they used any adverse thrust on that. heck of a crab angle. pretty cool.

tonycondon said:
i wonder if they used any adverse thrust on that. heck of a crab angle. pretty cool.

You would think that they would almost have to use adverse thrust to swing the tail around at the last second before touchdown. I wouldn't think that the rudder would be responsive enough on a bird that big.

well it probably has to be responsive enough to have two engines fail on the same side and maintain directional control...

The pilot straightens it out nicely (for a Frogge!) right at the last second, both times, just like he should.

Last edited:
well it probably has to be responsive enough to have two engines fail on the same side and maintain directional control...

True. I guess when I flew NWA's 747-400 sim in Minneapolis, it took a while for the adverse yaw to really set in when the instructor killed both right engines on me. I didn't notice any alarms or anything, so the only think I noticed was the fact that I was having to add more and more rudder to keep the ball centered. By the time the engines were free-spinning, I had the right rudder to the floor. I guess those huge fans carry so much momentum, it takes a while for them to really spool down.

Come to think of it, they also spooled up VERY slowly on restart, so I doubt it would be possible to use thrust to 'swing' the nose around before touchdown. I'm guessing the A380 has the 'steerable' gear like the B-52 uses for crosswind touchdowns to prevent major tire blowouts.

-Chris

Back