A36 down at KGSO

The query that the plane ended up in was recently graded and had a very large area flat and smooth that "maybe" the pilot saw and was going to attempt to put it down there. There was a Manuel open to procedures for emergency landings found at scene. Some of you have refereed to coming out of IMC. I am not familiar with that term. Would someone be willing to explain what that means. I by no means am trying to tell you guys what did or didn't happen, I just was hoping to give some detail to what i saw that might help figure this out.

IMC stands for instrument meteorological conditions. Basically flying in clouds with no visible horizon, a pilot is reliant on his instrumentation to keep the plane flying normally.

What we're reading and watching on video has us (me at least) believing that the plane & pilot were out of control before they exited the clouds, below the cloud bases, and that the pilot had limited control of the aircraft until he hit the ground, and not enough time to use the visual horizon to stabilize flight after exiting those clouds.

Is that what you're seeing at the scene? Aren't you the one who posted earlier that there were no "skids on the gravel" and that it looked as if it went straight in?

Yes sir, there was most defiantly no evidence of the plane skipping, sliding or anything. Where the plane hit is where is stopped. I was so curious because the scream in the audio would suggest maybe that just as you guys said, he was out of control and surprised at the sight coming out of the clouds. Multiple people on the ground said the say him circling and then spiraling down towards the ground. In 12 years of emergency service, this is the worst scene i have been to.

Yes sir, there was most defiantly no evidence of the plane skipping, sliding or anything. Where the plane hit is where is stopped. I was so curious because the scream in the audio would suggest maybe that just as you guys said, he was out of control and surprised at the sight coming out of the clouds. Multiple people on the ground said the say him circling and then spiraling down towards the ground. In 12 years of emergency service, this is the worst scene i have been to.

That's not good to hear. When I heard about this initially and watched the videos that are on the news websites in the area, I thought of stall to spin. That means he flew too slowly and then the plane started a spin when it fell. Recoverable, but not if he stalled when he broke free at 1000 feet. He would need more altitude than that.

RIP. This is awful.

That scream will stay with me for a long time. RIP

As far as a manual opened to emergency procedures. I actually do that everytime I fly. I have it all on my iPad but in a real emergency it will be much faster for me to reach into the side pocket and grab the POH than fumble with the IPad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back