A319 - Squirrely on takeoff?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I've (unfortunately) been travelling quite a bit for work far this year. My trips are regional flights mostly on MD-80s and A319/320s.

It it just me or are the A319s a little squirrely on takeoff? It seems like they bounce back and forth from side-load to side-load on the takeoff roll. At first I thought it was just crosswind on takeoff, but I've flown enough times over a short period of time that it seems like a trend for the A319.

Anybody with experience in the nose of these things to comment?

I've (unfortunately) been travelling quite a bit for work far this year. My trips are regional flights mostly on MD-80s and A319/320s.

It it just me or are the A319s a little squirrely on takeoff? It seems like they bounce back and forth from side-load to side-load on the takeoff roll. At first I thought it was just crosswind on takeoff, but I've flown enough times over a short period of time that it seems like a trend for the A319.

Interesting you mention it, I have also noticed them 'rocking' around on their gear.

I have observed (from the back) what seems to be more noticeable yaw coupling in turbulence. Maybe related.

Never noticed it.:dunno:

Doesn't mean the PF isn't "walking the rudder" on TO roll, but I've seen that on other types.

Last edited:
Never noticed it either, but it's been years since I've flown it.

It's pretty pronounced on a long take-off roll like at Denver...

I have noticed this as well. The last type I was in was a 321 and somewhere near the back (maybe 3/4's way).

I have observed (from the back) what seems to be more noticeable yaw coupling in turbulence. Maybe related.

I've noticed this myself a few times on both America West (may they rest in he!!) and Jet Blue.

It seems like it's not noticed up front, over the wing it's pretty pronounced. It feels like there is a bunch of slack in the gear and it bounces back and forth against the limits as it makes its way down the runway.

I always wondered if it was for, or due to, those cross wind landings where they touch down in a crab.:dunno:

Last edited:
Nope. THis is just a sign that you have a ****ty pilot. Cheers :)

It seems like it's not noticed up front, over the wing it's pretty pronounced. It feels like there is a bunch of slack in the gear and it bounces back and forth against the limits as it makes its way down the runway.

I always wondered if it was for, or due to, those cross wind landings where they touch down in a crab.:dunno:

What I've noticed is in the air in turbulence, not so much on the ground. Is the rudder system on the 319/320 FBW?

Isn't the gear higher than say a 737? A319/320s always look like they are a bit higher off the ground. Perhaps the higher CG amplifies poor pilot technique?

Yes the gear is higher. It's about pilot technique. These guys are apparently "walking the rudder" on take off roll. This was even briefed and in the FCTM back in the 727 days.

FWIW, the 75/76 also sit high on the gear.

What I've noticed is in the air in turbulence, not so much on the ground. Is the rudder system on the 319/320 FBW?

Rudder is controlled by cables and hydraulics as well as computers for the yaw dampers.

The nose wheel steering is electric (same for the brakes). Move the rudder or nose wheel tiller and you are sending an electronic command through the NWSC to the actuator on the nose gear to steer it. It's actually a very smooth system.

Last edited:

No. :nonod:

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed it. I hadn't thought about the longer gear legs amplifying the issue if poor pilot technique.

Sounds like these guys need some time in a Cub with a crotchety old CFI berating them from the rear seat.

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed it. I hadn't thought about the longer gear legs amplifying the issue if poor pilot technique.

Sounds like these guys need some time in a Cub with a crotchety old CFI berating them from the rear seat.

They need some time in the cockpit with an Instructor to teach them correct techniques and avoid "walking the rudder".

Move the rudder or nose wheel tiller and you are sending an electronic command through the NWSC to the actuator on the nose gear to steer it. It's actually a very smooth system.

Ok, so a question on how this works. I know you use the tiller for taxi speeds and maneuvering on the apron, and the tiller is the device to the left of the stick marked with "pedal disk", correct?

1850237.jpg

But say on the takeoff roll on a crosswind day, does the rudder pedal also control the nosewheel until the rudder is effective? If so is there some switch that you activate after you line up on the runway or something that is automatically activated at some ground speed? Just curious.

They need some time in the cockpit with an Instructor to teach them correct techniques and avoid "walking the rudder".

I gotta ask, what was the theory behind "walking the rudder"? What issue is it addressing?

Rudder is controlled by cables and hydraulics as well as computers for the yaw dampers.

Isn't the rudder (being mechanically connected) and pitch trim (also mechanically connected) the last line of defense, so to speak, in case of full computer meltdown in the Airbii?

(Not that I can fathom that occurring, but it is nice to know there are mechanical options if SHTF)

Isn't the rudder (being mechanically connected) and pitch trim (also mechanically connected) the last line of defense, so to speak, in case of full computer meltdown in the Airbii?

(Not that I can fathom that occurring, but it is nice to know there are mechanical options if SHTF)

That brings up an interesting question when one considers Souix City. What type of redundancy/reversions to the throttles are there?

That brings up an interesting question when one considers Souix City. What type of redundancy/reversions to the throttles are there?

Good question.

Sure wish the DC-10 had had mechanical... something. Thank God for Denny Fitch!

Ok, so a question on how this works. I know you use the tiller for taxi speeds and maneuvering on the apron, and the tiller is the device to the left of the stick marked with "pedal disk", correct?

But say on the takeoff roll on a crosswind day, does the rudder pedal also control the nosewheel until the rudder is effective? If so is there some switch that you activate after you line up on the runway or something that is automatically activated at some ground speed? Just curious.

You can use either tiller or rudder pedals to steer. The tiller gives you more authority (left and right) for ramp maneuvers and the rudder pedals have limited nose wheel travel ( for TO and Landing). There is no switch to switch between them. The "pedal disc" you see on the tiller is a switch you push down with your palm to disconnect the rudder pedals from steering while you do a control check on the rudder (full left and right)

On a crosswind TO the rudder pedal steering has enough authority to steer the nose wheel until the rudder takes over.

I gotta ask, what was the theory behind "walking the rudder"? What issue is it addressing?

A pilot will start walking the rudder on TO ( or landing) when he is over correcting. The airplane will make a small deviation left or right and the pilot applies too much rudder input to correct, hence the plane corrects to far in the opposite direction, he makes an over correction in the opposite direction and exacerbates the situation.

I've experienced this and it's more pronounced the farther aft you're sitting. I usually sit near the front and don't feel it up there.

I'll be sitting in row 2 on a 319 tomorrow, launching out of Denver. I'll see if I notice anything.

The rudder is mechanical (cables) and the THS (trim able horizontal stabilizer) is hydraulic. There are 3 hydraulic systems, 2 electric hydraulic pumps, 2 engine hydraulic pumps and a RAT that has a hydraulic pump attached to drive the hydraulics or emergency generator. The hydraulics have a " stand pipe" in case of a leak to prevent total loss of fluid.

In the event of "direct law" (really bad day) the gear can be dropped via gravity and the rudder reverts to cable, and pitch can be controlled with the remaining hydraulics using the THS.

This is practiced and taught in the sim. It's not pretty, but the plane is controllable and can be landed.

The engines have no cable control, total electric. Each engine has a FADEC and the FADEC's cross talk to each other constantly. In the event of a total electrical failure ( unlikely) each FADEC has a PMA ( permanent magnet alternator) that will power it from the engine accessory case.

The rudder is mechanical (cables) and the THS (trim able horizontal stabilizer) is hydraulic. There are 3 hydraulic systems, 2 electric hydraulic pumps, 2 engine hydraulic pumps and a RAT that has a hydraulic pump attached to drive the hydraulics or emergency generator. The hydraulics have a " stand pipe" in case of a leak to prevent total loss of fluid.

In the event of "direct law" (really bad day) the gear can be dropped via gravity and the rudder reverts to cable, and pitch can be controlled with the remaining hydraulics using the THS.

This is practiced and taught in the sim. It's not pretty, but the plane is controllable and can be landed.

The engines have no cable control, total electric. Each engine has a FADEC and the FADEC's cross talk to each other constantly. In the event of a total electrical failure ( unlikely) each FADEC has a PMA ( permanent magnet alternator) that will power it from the engine accessory case.

So the throttle system is linked to, but not dependent on, the rest of the computers? IOW, there's multiple independent signal sources to drive the servos.

So the throttle system is linked to, but not dependent on, the rest of the computers? IOW, there's multiple independent signal sources to drive the servos.

That's a basic way of explaining it. In managed mode with auto thrust engaged the FMGS via the FMS gives commands to the FADEC's. In select mode with auto thrust engaged the pilot selects speed and the FMGS tells the FADECs what to do.

In select mode with auto thrust disengaged the pilot can use the thrust levers to set throttle position.

Last edited:
That's a basic way of explaining it. In managed mode with auto thrust engaged the FMGS gives commands to the FADEC's. In select mode with auto thrust engaged the pilot selects speed and the FMGS tells the FADECs what to do.

In select mode with auto thrust disengaged the pilot can use the thrust levers to set throttle position.

That works. If the problem makes its way all the way to the servo end, there's no real difference in how the system works, there's not a damned thing to do when it fails.:lol:

A pilot will start walking the rudder on TO ( or landing) when he is over correcting. The airplane will make a small deviation left or right and the pilot applies too much rudder input to correct, hence the plane corrects to far in the opposite direction, he makes an over correction in the opposite direction and exacerbates the situation.

I've felt this on several flights on an ERJ-145. Never been on an A319.

Back