A year ago today

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
I went to the airport today to practice a few landings ( I ended it after only two because of literally 100 degree switches in the wind with each wind report from the controller). I went to enter the flight in my log book and I noticed that it was exactly one year ago that I began my pilot training. I had so many great memories that immediately flooded back into my head- all the amazing journeys, sights, sounds and fun I've had over the past year. Flying has taught me so much about myself, given me a great sense of pride and allowed me to have so much fun that I just wanted to remind myself of that by posting here. I figured maybe some other people would want to share their fondest memories of their early flying experiences.

When I was thinking back to my first few lessons I remember literally staring at the instruments to make sure I kept everything exactly on altitude and heading, so much so that I remember after I took my first lesson someone asked how pretty was it up there. I responded, with a straight face and 100 percent serious "I'm not sure, I was really concentrating on the instruments in front of me." While the allusive, "greaser landing" still remains a rare occurance, and the slightest crosswind gets my blood pumping, it's pretty awesome to think about how far I've come in a year and how much more I have to learn.

Each time I fly I can't help but think how amazing it is to be able to do this. I figured it could help us all to be reminded of just how fortunate we are to be able to do something that so few people can do.

I was reminded of my early training on Monday. We got a new student to join our club. My CFI was talking to her about weather and what they would do on their first day. For a moment I was "jealous" that she had the opportunity to learn what I already knew. Those days seemed so daunting when you're in the middle of it but at the end hopefully she'll look back on it as I do.

I hope she lets me know how her training goes...I think we bonded as friends since we're both female. :)

Since I got my checkride at 90 hours, I think my "next milestone" will be when I hit 190 hours, or 100 hours as a Private Pilot.

I have so many fond memories of flying (none of them from my training though except for solo flights). Most recently all my fond memories have been things that were outside my envelope, even though I was scared at the time or unsure. Things like my first long XC with almost 6 hours of flying to unknown places and experiencing weather and turbulence. Things like taking my Dad up for the first time, or my boyfriend. I'm particularly excited about two future things: one in June and one in July - flour bombing and Young Eagles.

Back