A wickked dream and a novel idea N/A

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Many months ago in a post on the old AOPA board I alluded to a dream I had. Here it is:

A wicked and painful dream of last night yielded a fantastic idea when I awoke. In the dream I was lying on my back, either on a couch or on a bed. I experienced a severe burning sensation at the left clavicle at regular intervals. At first, I was somewhat perplexed why this highly localized pain was occuring; I was trying to remember if I did anything to cause the pain. There were muted voices in the background, barely audible to me. Then I realized a correlation between the voices and the pain. It was as if I were being asked questions--although I could barely hear the voice--and if my answers were unsatisfactory I would experience the pain. It was a debilitating pain of such severity I had no muscle control.
My thoughts then turned to by what means could these persons (the voices imply persons) manipulate the pain. I sort of intuited there was a small implant in my upper back which was controlled by wireless remote. This got me to thinking of current cell phone technology...

This is the idea: a small wireless receiver is implanted subdermally (could be epidermally with proper adhesive to ensure electrical conductivity) by which a personal cell phone is controlled. The implant would sense the small electrical current in surrounding muscle tissue. When the electrical current rises above a pre-set peak current the implant sends a signal to the cell phone. (Effective signal range would be only a short distance. Also, since there is an electrical current even in muscles at rest there would have to be a base line established to preclude sending false signals.)
Various levels of muscle activity produce varying current. A highly excited muscle will produce maximum current; a muscle at rest produces the weakest current. This variance in current could be used to activate different functions or applications of the cell phone. The electrical current in the muscle provides all necessary voltage for cell phone operation. Even though the current is relatively weak, it operates 24/7. In that respect, the phone is constanly being charged, albeit weakly.
The chief reason for such a set up would be mobility and to make the system less conspicuous. It would be a hands free system which would result in increased efficiency in some user groups. Also, the elimination of beeps and tones means there are no telltale indications to others of system use. Either an audio system to the inner ear or a graphicical dipiction to the retina would be necessary to complete the communications loop. The latter holds more promise because it would support a broad range of comm methods (text, graphics, or both) but is more complex to hook up.
The downside is such an implant could be corrupted, by nefarious-minded persons or agencies, which may allow for a stimulus-based sort of thought control. A user with such an implant would experience a loss of control of signal. Control would be within the domain of others which would enable these others to exercise influence over the user's actions and, perhaps, thought. One method to ensure security would be some algorithem in lieu of a password.

Dude....... "We are Borg, you will be assimilated, resistance is futile"

I am the Modren Man.
I've got a secret I've been hiding under my skin
My heart is human, my blood is boiling, my brain I.B.M.
So if you see me acting strangely don't be surprised.....

I've said it before, I'll say it again: One of these days everyone is going to get themselves electrocuted from all their attached technology bunk and I am going to be the last one left.

Domo Arigato Mr Roboto...

Signed,
Normal The Penguin

Pro Bono psychoanalysis of your wickked dream, Richard:

You have much inventive energy combined with a dangerously strong preoccupation to be in bed simultaneously and long term with both the FDA and the FCC.

Last edited:
Richard said:
There were muted voices in the background, barely audible to me. Then I realized a correlation between the voices and the pain. It was as if I were being asked questions--although I could barely hear the voice--and if my answers were unsatisfactory I would experience the pain. It was a debilitating pain of such severity I had no muscle control.
[/SIZE]
Clearly an alien abduction.

Back