A Viking - Hey Dave?

The Continental engine has the 1700 hour TBO, doesn't it? Never seen one in person, but I love the looks of them in the photographs I've seen. Nothing like a fast, high flying plane to whet the appetite of a Cherokee driver.

"Extensive maintenance by Miller"
If this is true, it speaks volumes, however:

-why did the wing need repair? "spar replacement" This is not a typical scenario. Could it be damage? Or moisture? If moisture, is it because it is such a low time a/c or because it was not hangared, or both? If moisture, how could just the spar be damaged? (Also why do people advertise $XXK spent, as if it adds value to the airplane?!) I have to wonder what on earth a 'wing overhaul' is??
This is a runout, long past teardown imo. 33 years snew engine.
Other comments... The panel layout (non-standard) six pack will drive most people nuts.

Good points: Its a viking. It will likely go 160kts with 4 people. It will climb well. It has slick lines. Who knows the engine might keep on ticking for a while. Its a viking. Pretty.

If you can't get an agreement including passing a prepurchase inspection to the level of an annual inspection at MFS, I would be prepared for some expense on this one the first year.

Lets say you buy it as a fixer upper: You pay 38 for it. Allow 25 for a new engine, 20 for the panel, 3 for the gear, 10 for paint, 5 for interior... Now you have an old vike that cost you 100K and you might have bought the same thing already done, but 15 years newer, somewhere else. Not to say this plane isn't a good deal. I would buy it as a starter, limp it along with repairs as necessary until I could afford a newer one. Hey, that is what I'm doing!

It's overpriced for what it is. DT has it right on the head. Start with top of class, subtract the price of the reman, the paint (covering if necessary), wood rot if any, avionics (man, those may work but they're 35 years old), etc, and what you get is your MAXIMUM price.

I've seen a number of newer Vikes with a lot less hours and a lot less corrective (possibly scary major corrective surgery) in the $60-$70k range, which comes in a lot less than bringing this old gal up to snuff. Thanks for the feedback to all!

Back