A thank you to Dr. Bruce and my story

iWantWings

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wingsIwant
I had kind of a bad today, until my wife called me at work to tell me I had gotten two letters in the mail: the first had a shiny new plastic certificate while the second had the renewal notification for me special issuance approval!

:D

Wanted to thank Dr. Bruce, and not only him, for the help I've gotten along the way - and here's a cliffnotes summary...

In the Begining...
More than a decade ago I had a brief exposure to general aviation: a colegue, who had been a pilot for a while, asked me and my friend (also a colegue) if we wanted to go "have lunch at Catalina?". Catalina is an island not far from the southern california coast... An hour later we were flying over the ocean in a 172 towards the island where we had a "Buffalo Burger". My friend and I were hooked.

Shortly thereafter we both began flight training. He went on to complete the training and get bis PP certificate. I, on the other hand, lacked the dedication, planning (and eventually funds) and was left only with a glimpse of what general aviation is about.
Then next decade
I never gave up the idea that I would one day start training - and this time with a plan to complete it. But life took on its course, got married, had kids and the closest thing to flying for me were the occasional drives to the local airport or the Jeppensen flying books that I would once in a while re-read. And somewhere in my closet was a David Clark headset - always a reminder of what could've been.

Hurdles
I'm not sure what exactly kicked the flying idea out of hibernation, but one day I told my wife: I'm gonna (re)start flight training :) She was actually pretty cool about it; not exactly thrilled, but supportive nonetheless. So where would I start? With a medical, of course!

Oh, and somethin' else had happened during that past decade: because life was oh so perfect, somethin' had to happen and was diagnosed with a condition whose treatment required the steroid-wonder-drug, prednisone. And while researching more about the medical, I eventually found out it was on the FAA's list of "watch list".

The early research I did made the flying thing look more dim than ever. I read about instances where medical was denied because of prednisone dose that was higher than what the FAA considered "acceptable". It was one thing to know that, even though I hadn't started flying lessons, I could at least do it if I wanted to, versus knowing that I would never be able to fly again because of my medical condition. My "wings" were cut off and I felt like vomitting.

But I continued my research, joined AOPA and came accross Dr. Bruce. He guided me through a whole labyrinth of things to do, medical documentation to get, letters, etc. And so it was that in November of 2011 I had in my had my first SI letter of approval!
Flight Training and PP certificate
So now that I had a medical and SI, in late January of 2012 I began the flight lessons - all the while carying the medical with me along with the SI letter, a faithful reminder of how fortunate I was that despite being on prednisone (20mg alternating days) the dudes in Okahoma gave me the okay to fly.

Fast forward to these following days.
September 28, 2012: I passed the checkride!
September 30, 2012: my SI would expire!

So there you have it - a private pilot for 2 days:rofl:. All because of my wrong doing - i I was supposed to have re-applied for the renewal in early August, but (for reasons not worth discussing) I didn't.
Present Day
With help from Dr. Bruce and my treatig physician, I sent the required medical status letter to Okahoma. As expected, this would take about 6 to 7 weeks - an eternity. I mean, I had just gotten my PP certificate and now I was sidelined, all of it my wrong doing, really.

But not quite sidelined.... I remembered that, if the request for SI is not denied and simply not renewed (thus allowing the medical to expire), a Private Pilot certificate "degrades" to a Sport Pilot certificate. And that's when I began the FBO's required 3 lessons checkout for LSA Skycatcher. At least I would be able to fly as Sport Pilot while waiting for the SI renewal. And, although it was not love at first sight, after the 3rd lesson I began to really like the little bug. (I was pretty sure the AME from Oklahoma would grant me the SI because I was feeling very good and condition was under control - thank you prednisone. Had I not be sure, or Dr. Bruce raise a caution flag, I might have just settled for Sport Pilot privilages and not ask for a renewal and risk a denial; in that case, I would not even be able to fly as Sport Pilot).

But, to my total surprise, and I don't understand how this happened, less than 2 weeks after sending the SI renewal I got the new medical and the new PP certificate!!! How cool is that? I don't know whom to thank for that; I'm just so darn happy I don't have to way 6 or 7 weeks!

I can now fly as Private Pilot.... the Skycatcher or the 172!

All right, I'll stop writing and end my tolsoty novel here.

Congratulations. I too am facing some medical hurdles.

I have to take several test which I cannot afford now. I have my PP, but no current medical. My attempt was denied until I can provide them with expensive tests (which I know I can Pass).

Sure hurts not to be able to fly. Hopefully, soon, I will be able to get started. But, before I start I am going to counsel with Dr. Bruce. Whatever it costs, I know from reading this and other forums he can take you through the process in knowledgeable way, saving time and money.

Again, congratulations, have fun and enjoy your flying.

Jim

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back