A tad windy...

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KAGC 081753Z 28020G40KT 10SM FEW050 OVC065 12/01 A2977 RMK AO2 PK WND 28041/1737 SLP079 T01220006 10133 20111 53012

Yeah, I'll stay on the ground today.
[/FONT]

A few hours ago it was this:

KVLL 081515Z AUTO 27022G37KT 10SM OVC026 07/00 A2968 RMK AO2

Right down the runway, but I'd hate to try taxiing in that. It's calmed down quite a bit since,

KVLL 081915Z AUTO 32016G24KT 10SM BKN026 BKN034 OVC042 09/02 A2986 RMK AO2

but I still wouldn't enjoy flying in that, so why try it? Flying should be fun! :yesnod:

Agreed I was planning to fly for an huor this morning but that just did not look like fun.

Yea,... exact reason why Gary and I didn't maek the trip to Ohio today. Couple that with the low cloud layers over the mountains, and it was a pretty easy No-Go early yesterday afternoon. We'll let you know when we get it rescheduled so maybe we can try to catch up again.

Yea,... exact reason why Gary and I didn't maek the trip to Ohio today. Couple that with the low cloud layers over the mountains, and it was a pretty easy No-Go early yesterday afternoon. We'll let you know when we get it rescheduled so maybe we can try to catch up again.

That's right -- you guys had planned on today.

I tried to fly east yesterday evening. It was still a rodeo at 7k. I knew my daughter would not like the ride back, so I returned and told her to start driving.

:frown3:

We planned to go to the seminar at Daniel Webster College today. Hope there were lots of people within driving distance. Don't want that wonderful service to die.

You made a good call, Rob and Gary... look at the multiple UUA PIREPS for LLWS over there today.

That's what we call just a breezy day here in Kansas.

Kevin

Just a Tad

KLOM 082140Z AUTO 28019G37KT 250V310 10SM CLR 20/00 A2963 RMK AO1 T01961004

I don't get what happened...RWY31L was closed but the pilot wanted 31R. Why did the article and audio emphasize that 31L was closed? Traffic flow had been staggered to compensate for this in advance.

As far as the audio clip, not sure but sounds like poor communication with elevated frustration making things worse. If the controller didn't want AAL2 to have 31R because of traffic or something, maybe they could have just gone missed, got resequenced for 31R? If fuel wasn't a concern, I think this was a bad time to pull the emergency card.

Sorry about the bad wind yesterday, it was nice here in Georgia!

My 172 really got twisted around on her tie down. Did a.... "Huh? That's not how I left her" when I got to the airport yesterday. I really miss my hanger:frown3:

Windy enough that some folks are declaring an emergency...

Chris

I don't get what happened...RWY31L was closed but the pilot wanted 31R. Why did the article and audio emphasize that 31L was closed? Traffic flow had been staggered to compensate for this in advance.

As far as the audio clip, not sure but sounds like poor communication with elevated frustration making things worse. If the controller didn't want AAL2 to have 31R because of traffic or something, maybe they could have just gone missed, got resequenced for 31R? If fuel wasn't a concern, I think this was a bad time to pull the emergency card.

Sorry about the bad wind yesterday, it was nice here in Georgia!
Friend of mine got this response from an AA captain:
Nope, the captain did exactly the right thing. The crosswinds were out of limits, so it would have been illegal to land. The aircraft arrived at the gate with 6000 pounds in the tanks. 6000 pounds is 6000 pounds less than what is comfortable for that model. Hence the emergency. The captain did what he gets paid to do. Too bad the controllers got their feelings hurt. The captain doesn't deserve a medal since he did what is routine...protect the crew, passengers, equipment, his backside and his license. Nothing heroic here, just doing the job the way it's supposed to be done.

I'm curious -- has anyone said how the plane got to be 6000lbs light on fuel? (Aka, was it placed in an extended hold, mechanical fault, planning error, etc.?)

Chris

No damage, hopefully?

Are you tied down at RDG?

No damage. But she tried to fly.The whole plane rotated about 10 degrees on its tie down and my headset was on the floor (I hang it on the mixture control.)

I'm tied down at RDG. I was in a community hanger but the rent just went up 40%. For me, in this economy, $350 a month is too expensive for a 35 year old 172.

what are you using for tiedowns? i'd recommend chocks

No damage. But she tried to fly.The whole plane rotated about 10 degrees on its tie down and my headset was on the floor (I hang it on the mixture control.)

I'm tied down at RDG. I was in a community hanger but the rent just went up 40%. For me, in this economy, $350 a month is too expensive for a 35 year old 172.

WOW!!!!

That's insane...

Nothing cheaper within reasonable distance?

(My T-hangar is now $159/month)

what are you using for tie downs? i'd recommend chocks

I tie it down using the methods outlined in F.E. Potts Guide to Bush Flying. Heavy braided rope using jam knots and a hurricane hitch. I will have to start using chocks. No one else on the ramp is, but it makes sense. Thanks for the recommendation.

ok good. i was imagining limp chains or rotted ropes. :)

WOW!!!!

That's insane...

Nothing cheaper within reasonable distance?

(My T-hangar is now $159/month)

Nothing within an hour drive and everyplace has a waiting list. Been on RDG list for a tee hanger ever since Kutztown closed. I had a tee at Kutztown for many years and was paying $170. I really miss that field it was five minutes from home.:frown3:

Back