A Stupid Question

mlongano

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mlongano
In the movie "Top Gun", why does the air boss reply to Maverick's request for a fly by with the word "Ghostrider"? What is a ghostrider?

In the movie "Top Gun", why does the air boss reply to Maverick's request for a fly by with the word "Ghostrider"? What is a ghostrider?

Why do Maverick and Goose head out to sea when they're in a flat spin?

It's a lame movie, unless you just watch the flying scenes with the sound turned off.

Trapper John

IIRC, "Ghostrider" was the squadron call sign of VF-124, the F-14 training squadron at Miramar, which (again, IIRC) provided F-14's for trainees to fly while in the Fighter Weapons School training program if their squadron wasn't at Miramar (FWS itself operating only Aggressor types such as A-4's, F-5's, and later F-16N's and other interesting aircraft). Thus, the call sign for the aircraft which actually performed the fly-by was probably something like "Ghostrider 104," formed from the squadron call sign and the aircraft's side number.

IIRC, "Ghostrider" was the squadron call sign of VF-124, the F-14 training squadron at Miramar, which (again, IIRC) provided F-14's for trainees to fly while in the Fighter Weapons School training program if their squadron wasn't at Miramar (FWS itself operating only Aggressor types such as A-4's, F-5's, and later F-16N's and other interesting aircraft). Thus, the call sign for the aircraft which actually performed the fly-by was probably something like "Ghostrider 104," formed from the squadron call sign and the aircraft's side number.

Thank you sir.

BTW, there are no stupid questions other than those unasked for fear of appearing stupid.

According to a friend who teaches history in a middle school, whoever said that there is no such thing as a stupid question never taught history in a middle school...

What's so complicated about women? I think I'm much more simpleminded than a lot of the guys here. Did I say that right? :aureola:

What's so complicated about women? I think I'm much more simpleminded than a lot of the guys here. Did I say that right? :aureola:
That's a question to which any answer by any man would be stupid. In fact, even my response may have been stupid.

Ok folks, this is clearly spin zone material. Time to either move the thread or close it. :D

Seems like that's an acceptable response to most female questions with a few exceptions like "Does this make me look fat?".
To my recollection I have never asked a guy how I look in a certain piece of clothing. But I have received some unsolicited critique. :rofl:

Back