A Sheltered, Female Prosecutor, Perhaps?

K

KennyFlys

Stolen from WSJ:

From an Associated Press dispatch, dateline Tampa, Fla.:
A 6-year-old boy stood before a judge and said he wanted his stepfather to go to jail for kicking him so hard that it snapped his right thigh bone.​

Circuit Judge J. Rogers Padgett complied Tuesday, sentencing George Allen Ross to 11 years in prison.​

Ross had pleaded guilty to one count each of child abuse and aggravated child abuse. Besides breaking the boy's leg, Ross also was accused of punching the boy's older brother in the stomach in January 2006.​

In February 2004, authorities said, Ross broke the younger boy's other leg.​
This is a horrifying story, and we hope Ross serves his full prison term, so that by the time he gets out, the boy will be 17 and able to defend himself.

What caught our attention, though, was the next paragraph:
"Thank God he doesn't have a third leg because that would probably be broken a year later," prosecutor Rita Peters told Padgett.​
This belongs in some kind of hall of fame for bizarre non sequiturs.

Seems to me like the lawyer was just expressing her concern for the boy's safety, that the father would pose a continuing risk.

Odd way to say it, but I'm glad she got the man convicted for the max. Good for her.

Y'all keep in mind this is HT, not SZ.
Yep, I was only leaning toward her statement. I don't think she had a clue what she was really saying or the connotation. The rest of it was just a simple application of justice and doesn't require any argument.

Back