A semi-sweet adventure.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
In response to Kent's super sweet adventure, I'll post my Wings adventure...
Sorry, no pictures, I didn’t have anyone to delegate those duties to like some people do.

Day 1 - 9D9 -> KLOM

Temperatures, bases, tops were mitigating factors in how I should file, or if I should file at all, and when I should leave Hastings for Wings Field. Thursday dragged on at the office, and I had filed for a 2100z departure, but since nothing was happening at work, I cut out at 2:30 and made my way to the airport via Radio Shack. The plan this year was to really document everything with audio and video. Well that was the plan anyway. I don't have a mic input on my video camera, but I do have a laptop that I can record to and then overlay it on video. So I get a patch cable and 1/8 -> 1/4 adapter so I could plug the laptop into the intercom and record all the audio including ATC, my choice of music, and any transmissions I would make. So I get everything I need from the Shack, including an inverter so I can plug my laptop in, and off to the airport I go.

The airplane was already fueled since the 100LL was only $3.19, I kept topping off after each flight knowing the price was going to go up with the next fuel load they got it. I got my L-23/24 from the FBO packed up the airplane with my clothes bag, my laptop bag, and my Jeppesen Flight bag turned electronics bag which had my cell phone, mp3 player, digital camera, video camera, and handheld transceiver. I get everything set up electronically and taxi over to runway 12. I cue the laptop and video camera for recording, fire up the mp3 player with some Motley Crue make my radio call, and launch. "Recording Failure" shows on the video camera after I get about 1500 AGL. Ah crap. Well, I do have the audio, whatever that is worth.

I call up Grand Rapids to open my flight plan and get my squawk, and evidently AOPA's flight planner did not cancel my first IFR plan, and I had re-filed a second one with DUAT so Grand Rapids took a while opening me up. I got my squawk and was told to remain VFR. The bases up ahead were about 7000 so I just slowed my climb to my filed altitude of 9000 as I was already above 5500 by this point. Then I get the 'bad' news:

"2212R we're not picking up your transponder, I can't give you a clearance without a secondary return."
"Uh, ok, what's Lansing's frequency? I'll see if they can pick me up."

They give me the frequency and cut me loose, so I call up Lansing, tell them where I am, and what I am squawking, and lo and behold, they have no trouble seeing me. But they have to now find my flight plan. They open me up, clear me as filed, and I smash through a few clouds as I climb to niner thousand. Then Lansing comes back to me, "12R, your transponder is intermittent at best." What the hell, ok, I've run my laptop before in the plane with no transponder issues, I've run my video camera in the plane with no issues, and I've run the MP3 player in the plane with no issues. So I yank the inverter, which my laptop was plugged into for power, out of the cigarette slot and two seconds later Lansing says that's better. Ok, well we found the problem. Three minutes later they come back saying it's still spotty. Hmmmm, do I turn around and scrap the weekend?

About that time the tops come up just a little bit and I pick up a little ice, I ask Lansing if I can go to eleven and they said not yet, but they will relay that request to Detroit when they hand me off. I get the hand off to Detroit Approach, and I am told unable for eleven, and I can either stay at nine or descend to five. It was just one patch of clouds and I was back in the clear, and the small trace I picked up had sublimated so I continued on at nine thousand. The last two times I've gone into WINGS, I've gotten RAV -> BUNTS -> Wings, and so that's what I had filed. My course should be about 110°-115° to intercept the Ravine VOR, and that's when Detroit gets confused. Fly heading 100, fly heading 120, fly heading 090, and fly heading 130. Finally after talking to the third Detroit Controller, she realizes those vectors were doing nothing and gives me a resume own navigation.

The first Detroit controller had issues with my transponder, but the second and third ones did not so I have decided that I am not going to turn around and I will continue on as planned. By this time I have shut off everything electronic in the plane, and I get handed off to Cleveland Center, who is having problems receiving me. So I cycle, I test, I ident (or is that iDent?) and their reception is still sporadic, even though I am showing a return. Although, maybe it is a bit slow on the flashing. I get turned over to Cleveland Approach, and at this point it is VMC and I have a great view of the Erie shoreline as I leave Canadian airspace. Cleveland must like me better than Kent, because I wasn't given any vectors and was in line with departures off runway 6 out of Hopkins. Approach has no issues with my transponder, and I continue on getting turned back over to Center, who does have issues. This pattern continues on as some sectors are ok, some are not, some have my mode C, and some do not. Sigh.

Somewhere over eastern Ohio it starts to cloud up over me and below me, and I'm in between layers now. There's no outside reference at all, so I am really on the instruments. OAT is about -5C and I'm going in and out of some wisps. Then it starts to get a bit more solid, and this is the first actual I've been in since, um, August I think and first extended time in the clouds at all in over a year. No big deal, nothing more than a 5 degree drift here and there as I keep messing with the transponder. I then get a advisory from ZOB telling me they are painting some precip in front of me, about 7 miles across about 30 seconds after I start to get a little accumulation on the windscreen and leading edge. Now, I probably should have gotten out of it right away, but it was only 3-4 minutes of my time and I had warmer air below me if it got too bad, so I just watched a little bit of rime build up, but nothing that affected my ground speed, or required a trim adjustment to maintain altitude. I got through the precip with hardly any buildup and was out the other side of it with no issues, except one. I had clouds above me, so I had no solar radiance to help get rid of it. Oh well, it's not affecting anything, and my pitot static is still working, so I won't worry about it as I get handed off to New York Center.

"12R advise ready to copy amended clearance."

Son of a...I even filed what they always give me.

"Ready to copy, 12R"

"12R amended clearance is RAV -> V170 -> V210 -> BUNTS -> Wings."

I read it back, he doesn't acknowledge my read back is correct and I don't worry about it, as I am still messing with the transponder and by this time I have accumulated enough ice that it blocked my pitot tube. I really probably should have a heated pitot put in, but this only happens once a year so it always slips my mind, besides, I've got 4000 of safe zone below me where it's warmer. So I am cruising along holding my altitude perfectly (static is blocked) and an IAS of 0. I do have the altimeter on the 430, it's no big deal yet, and it's still only a trace on the wings and ground speed and AoA hasn't changed. So I finally check to see where V170 and 210 are. What a stupid amended clearance. It's only about a 3 mile deviation to the west before intercepting BUNTS. By this time my gas caps started to grow horns, and I said that's enough and asked for 7000 from ZNY. I descend to 7000 which is under the bases, and an OAT of 33F. Not quite warm enough to get rid of the ice, but I'm pretty much VMC even though I'm only about two hundred feet below the clouds.

With the sun setting behind me the temperature starts to drop, and what happens, the cloud bases start to drop a little, I'm just at the very bottom of the clouds now and then I'm in actual again. Then I start hearing banging on the windscreen. Rain and my OAT says 32. Ok, rime is one thing, clear is a whole 'nother donkey, so I don't ask for 5, I tell them I'm 5000 for ice. By the way the VSI shows opposite trend when the static is frozen over. My altitude is granted, like they had a choice, now I'm nice and warm at 38 degrees, everything peels away and I get all my instruments back before I am handed off to Harrisburg - who doesn't see my transponder at all. The frequency was pretty quiet and we had a discussion about my transponder, and that I know what my bonus money this year was probably going to pay for. I ask if they want me on an airway or position reporting and they say no, they have a great primary return on me.

I do keep a set of Allen wrenches in my plane, so I dig around for them, pull out the correct size on the first try, and loosen up the screw and try and pull the transponder out, but it's pretty tight so I shake it a bit, and give it a little rap with the palm of my hand to push it into the connectors and tighten it back up.

"12R I don't know what magic you worked, but we have a perfect secondary on your transponder what did you do?"

"I hit it."

I can hear the controllers laughing at my response, and then I tell them what I really did after they asked if I had a magic hammer in the plane. I get handed off to Reading, and then Philly approach who clears me direct to Wings just before I hit V210, which is something like the 113 off the Lancaster VOR, so I hit the FPL button on the 430, turn to KLOM, and punch D, enter twice, and make my turn. I haven't come in here at night, so I'm looking in the wrong place for it, but pick up the beacon just as Philly tells me it's 3 miles and 12 o clock. I cancel IFR, and hop over to advisory get on downwind for 6, and hear this:

"Wings Field, any traffic in the area please advise."

"Well I had a couple bottles of wine for you, but after that I think I'll just have to keep them.......Adam."

I make my tight slipping base turn to final, and set her down just past the numbers make the turn at Bravo and get directed into a tie down space by Adam. I shut down, climb out, shake his hand, unload and head off to his place for dinner and a good night sleep.

Last edited:
Days 2, 3, and 4:

Adam said he had to get some work done, so I just slept in till 10 or so while he was at the office, or court, or wherever he was, and I got up and went downstairs to find some miniature muffins to eat, and just lounged around until Adam got back and we were off to Costco to buy everything for the Fly-B-Q. We spent a lot of the day running around getting everything we needed and then wound up back at the house where Gary Shelby and Ed Moss, the meat supplier, were waiting for us. Whoa, that’s a lot of meat. Gary had also brought over some Yuengling’s, a pilsner, and some India Pale Ale. Well the last two beers were way too hoppy for me, and I enjoyed a couple of the Yuengling’s, which is pretty good, and I’m not even a beer drinker. We started organizing some of the stuff, somewhere in there Bob Ciotti showed up, and Adam ran off to the airport to pick up Grant and Leslie. We all sat around talked for a while and waited for the Shook Four as Adam referred to them to arrive. After those slow Wisconsin people finally got in and Andrew Stanley arrived with his smoker, we did up the cheese-steaks. I had seconds and some cake and we all sat around the fire or watched the Smoke-master Andrew Stanley get everything ready with his smoker. I went back in to check the weather for the morning, and to see what the TAFs were saying. Well, according to the TAFs at this time it was supposed to be BKN050, but when I went outside, I could see stars everywhere, and not a single cloud in the sky. Further reinforcing my point that all a pilot needs for weather is PIREPs and past-casts. Adam and either Bob or Gary shuttled Grant, Leslie, Kent, Kate, Kynan, and Janell back to the hotel, and I called it a night.

The next morning I woke up a year older and started getting ready for the festivities. The day was pretty much a blur for me, as it was set up the tent and tables, organize the contests, recruit people to help, give the meat sponsor and his daughter a ride around NW Philly in the plane, and finally after all that I was able to get something to eat. Remember that plan about documenting it all on video? Yeah, that didn’t happen. I got some video of about ½ to 2/3 of the people remaining, and a few departures and that’s pretty much it. After we cleaned up the eating area, and got Kevin and Rich, Grant and Leslie, and the Shook Four to the hotel, we went back and just relaxed. Then Bob Ciotti showed up and we headed back to the Hotel to go downtown and eat in the market area at a little place I keep thinking is called Venus de Milo but I don’t recall any naked women there, so I’m thinking that’s not the name of it. It is on 9th street, I do know that much. The wine was good, the food was good, and the cannolis were awesome. We finished our meal and headed back to Adam’s via the hotel to drop off the gang, and called an end to a very long exhausting day.

After I woke up, Bob came over again to help us shuttle everyone from the hotel to Wings where we saw everyone off. Then Adam gets a phone call asking if we want to go up in a Seneca. So he and I head back over to the airport, and take a ride up the Hudson in a Seneca before getting to Greenwood Lake, NJ, and swapping seats. I ride right seat on the way back with Paul, the owner, at the controls, and Adam getting to experience Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride like I did on the way there. We had a lot of stuff left over so guess what we had for dinner that night. Yep, burgers and dogs, which was fine with me because I could eat dinner off the grill almost every night. We finished cleaning everything up that was brought back to his place, watched some of the video I had gotten and looked at pictures he had taken and finally called it a night.

Last edited:
Day 5 KLOM -> FDK -> I40 -> OWX -> 9D9

I woke up on Monday morning to find a perfect day for flying from Philadelphia home. There were some headwinds, but that turned out to be a good thing. As most all of you know, I have almost landed in all of the lower 48. I had to go missed in Maryland last year on my way to Wings, so on my way home I decided I would stop in Frederick, MD and get a tour of AOPA and claim Maryland as the 47th of the continental 48 states I’ve landed in with 2212R since May of 2004 when I started it all in North Carolina. I launch out of Wings with a bit of a crosswind and perform my typical departure when I know someone is watching: stay just above ground effect, accelerate to VA reach the numbers at the other end and let the yoke come back and get my VSI pegged until I get almost to TPA. I took off on 24 and stayed under the Bravo at about 2500 until out from under it then got up to 4500 en-route to FDK. I have the MP3 player patched into the 340 with a mix Stevie Ray Vaughn, Yaz, Van Halen, Jerry Reed, and Johnny Cash, and a couple others while I make my way to Frederick. I swore I saw a NOTAM saying that 5/23 was closed at Frederick before I left, but on CTAF all I heard was “…5, Frederick,” when I had switched over. Hmm, well, I guess it isn’t closed. I make my way for right downwind behind a Cessna, and I hear a radio call – “Citation Four Golf Alpha, 10 east landing 5, Frederick.” I made my base turn inside the quarry, and got off runway 5 at Kilo, just as the citation was turning final. I got the tour of AOPA, and just as we got to the Office of the President, Phil comes walking up the steps. It didn’t dawn on me until then that Phil Boyer must have heard I was coming to FDK and was in a hurry to get back and meet me in the Citation. I said hello, he said hello, and that was the extent of Phil’s brush with greatness. We finished the tour, I got some freebies, and I hopped back in 2212R to make my way home.

I said headwinds was a good thing, now I know what you’re thinking, headwinds are a good thing? Yes, they are, and here’s why: I was forced to go low. So I set the power for somewhere between 65% and 75% and cruised at less than 1000 AGL from Frederick to Coshocton, Ohio weaving my way through some river valleys, skimming some mountain ridges, and just having fun with the MP3 player continuing to play my flight tunes. Coshocton is an awesome little field, with cheap (relatively speaking) fuel. New FBO building, showers in the restrooms, and some real nice couches and TVs, along with a friendly staff. From there I attempted the 1000 AGL or less again, but over the plowed fields of Ohio, the thermals were worse than the winds coming over the ridges in western PA and Maryland so I went up to 4500 feet and cruised on into Putnam County where I had lunch with Scott (redcloud) and checked out his 182 with a Garmin stack, and then over to Bluffton where he keeps his brand new Columbia with a G1000 panel. It even had the new airplane smell. Very nice. From there I headed home the final hour but the haze was so bad I went up to 10,500. No matter, the groundspeed at 10,500 was the same as I was getting at 4500, plus the air was a lot cooler. I stayed at 10,500 and made my way over the tops of a small band of clouds between Ottawa and Hastings and enjoyed the cool air blowing in the vents. I trimmed for 70mph, made a radio call that I was over the field at one zero thousand, and would be descending for landing on 12. Pulled the power, rolled in 50 degrees of bank, and corkscrewed all the way down to TPA, flew a full circuit, and topped off at $3.19. Put the plane away, loaded up my truck and headed home.

Dork note from the trip: My MP3 player charges off the USB connection to the computer. I was running low on battery juice in the MP3, so at one point I had the laptop plugged into the inverter and the MP3 player connected to the laptop so I could keep listening to music while I flew through MD, PA, and OH.

Last edited:
including an inverter so I can plug my laptop in

Did that affect the sound quality at all? I've tried videotaping with an inverter, and the audio was absolute junk 'cuz it had a 60Hz square wave buzzing so loud you couldn't hear the rest of the audio. :(

So I am cruising along holding my altitude perfectly (static is blocked) and an IAS of 0. I do have the altimeter on the 430

I wouldn't use that... Have you ever checked it against your altimeter in the air? It's usually off by quite a bit. Part of that is that you're using an altimeter setting provided by ATC so that the planes in the area are all at the same altitude relative to each other. The other part is that it seems Garmin tries to calculate things on most of their products in such a fashion that all of the error goes to the altitude axis. For instance, you'll be standing still but the altitude will be changing while the position is right on.

The 430W certainly improves that aspect a lot, and it's probably good enough to be within 100 feet of what's expected as long as you're keeping very close to assigned with it, but what does that do to your mode C? That'll be incorrect. If your GPS goes out (Aunt Peggy's recent problem comes to mind - Did you specifically ask for GPS notams?) you'll be left with no altitude reference at all, and ATC will still think you're at 9,000 feet or whatever because your transponder is broadcasting the altitude from the frozen-up static port. That could lead to all kinds of bad outcomes...

Get that sucker heated!!! :yes:

Did that affect the sound quality at all? I've tried videotaping with an inverter, and the audio was absolute junk 'cuz it had a 60Hz square wave buzzing so loud you couldn't hear the rest of the audio. :(

Didn't notice anything. I recorded to the laptop, not the video camera.
I wouldn't use that... Have you ever checked it against your altimeter in the air? It's usually off by quite a bit.
Get that sucker heated!!! :yes:

It's always off by about 150' when I've checked it before. So I used that as my baseline. I know I should get it heated, but...

...and yes I specifically check for GPS NOTAMS when I go IFR.

uh doesnt the transponder have its own altimeter? separate of the aircrafts static source? basically just a pressure transducer on the back of it?

But it's still plumbed in the static system, isn't it?

yea after thinking about it more i suppose it would have to. for some reason i thought that it was just open to the cabin but that wouldnt work too hot in many situations

Mine is. Not sure how it is exactly. Us CFIs should probably know that. :rofl:

Our club archer has a T-handle under the panel near the yoke to open the alternate air valve for the static. Does your Cherokee have that?

Our club archer has a T-handle under the panel near the yoke to open the alternate air valve for the static. Does your Cherokee have that?

And if not, I have a spare used valve that I never got around to installing in my Bonanza before I sold it. Perhaps you'd like to add it to your system. I'd recommend adding pitot heat first though.

And if not, I have a spare used valve that I never got around to installing in my Bonanza before I sold it. Perhaps you'd like to add it to your system. I'd recommend adding pitot heat first though.

I don't have a valve, wouldn't mind getting that installed as well. Since the pitot system gets opened up with the pitot heat install, and will have to be recertified, might as well put a valve in at the same time.

I don't have a valve, wouldn't mind getting that installed as well. Since the pitot system gets opened up with the pitot heat install, and will have to be recertified, might as well put a valve in at the same time.

Just carry a hammer with you. You don't use your VSI anyway, do you?

Just carry a hammer with you. You don't use your VSI anyway, do you?

Actually I do use my VSI. Plus, who wants a broken instrument in their panel? I don't.

Actually I do use my VSI. Plus, who wants a broken instrument in their panel? I don't.

Concur, but in a true emergency, and you don't have alternate air, smash that glass on the VSI and get your altimiter back...

Concur, but in a true emergency, and you don't have alternate air, smash that glass on the VSI and get your altimiter back...

I agree, but it wasn't an emergency, and sure it would have never got to that point.

I'll try to remember to bring it to Gaston's.

For a reasonably close estimate of your altitude, if you have a normally aspirated engine and a constant speed prop you can use the MP gauge reading at full throttle.

Ed, I enjoyed your story! I didn't realize you had quite that much excitement on the way over. Sounds like you had an interesting trip back, too.

Back