A revised poll on non-aviation content

How should non-aviation related content be handled: (Terms defined in first post)

• Status Quo: All allowed, all in hangar-talk, aviation & non

Votes: 32 39.0%
  • Sen/Nonsen allowed, Av/Non-Av separated, Sen/Nonsen together

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Sen/Nonsen allowed, Av/non-av separated, Sen/nonsen separated

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • Nonsen allowed, No sen. All in hangar talk

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Nonsen allowed. No sen. Separate av/non-av

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Sen allowed. No nonsen. All in hangar talk. **

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sen allowed. No nonsen. Separate av/non-av

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • No Non-Av at all.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I abstain. I don't care and wish y'all would shut up about it.

• I abstain, but y'all can keep yakkin about it all ya want.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
alaskaflyer said:
Ah, but since the poll is about Hangar Talk...;)

Also, from the page you linked: (yada yada yada)

With the exception of one or two individuals, this is what I am seeing in the Hangar, regardless of the original intent of the first post of a thread. Which is a good thing, no?

Richard,

I have been doing pretty well looking at the title and author to determine if I want to read the tread. I believe in the "don't feed the trolls" mantra.

I have no problem with things going on like this. I usually read the forum in the AM before going to the airport and later in the day. So I'm pretty up to date on what's being said. I use New Posts most of the time. It is somewhat disappointing to see 5 or 10 sen posts for everyone I want to read but hey I ignore a lot of conversations at the airport too.

80 people who like HT like it is is a pretty good reason to keep it going. My only concerns are that the MCs don't care to read this stuff and maybe some aviators (past, present, and future) are not visiting and contributing because of the content. They are not represented in the polls.

Joe

Last edited:
Fair enough. I almost exclusively use the new posts feature too, unless I am trying to find a post that was marked read that no longer appears in that list. I seldom even look to see what folder the post is actually in.

I use the New Posts feature as the way to find posts I haven't read yet, which means that politics are there, regardless of want. Now, I participate in a lot of the "sensitive" posts, but I could go either way on it. To me, this is an av forum first, so if it went av only, or even "Non-Sen" only, I'd be happy.

I'd rather not see this place fail over a policy.

Do you,

O Strongly disagree?
O Somewhat strongly disagree?
O Somewhat disagree?
O Disagree?
O Disagree just a little bit?
O Have no opinion?
O Agree just a little bit?
O Agree?
O Somewhat agree?
O Somewhat strongly agree?
O Strongly agree?

Oh nuts, I've forgotten the question!

wsuffa said:
Another board I belong to has a "hot" section... and has a couple of forums for non-av content. It seems to work pretty well....

Were it my choice, I think I would establish a "hot" section that allows opt-out on the new posts button.

What Bill said.

Put all that crap in a stinky box and let it fester over there, while I continue to speak, with respect and consideration, to my friends (whose friendship does not depend upon my agreement with their politics).

Strict moderation of behavior, and if those affected by the enforcement of policies of civility have their feelings hurt, well, they are not half so offended as I am every time someone comes in here, drops a deuce on the catering cart, then watches in gloating delight while the stench spreads.

Maverick said:
Do you,

O Strongly disagree?
O Somewhat strongly disagree?
O Somewhat disagree?
O Disagree?
O Disagree just a little bit?
O Have no opinion?
O Agree just a little bit?
O Agree?
O Somewhat agree?
O Somewhat strongly agree?
O Strongly agree?

Oh nuts, I've forgotten the question!

Exactly!!!! Give non aviation its own home!:yes:

I abstained - I don't believe a vote is going to make any difference.

Those that want to push the boundaries will do so whatever boundaries you set. After all, we're already discussing redefining the boundaries because they've already been pushing them.

*shrug*

alaskaflyer said:
Ah, but since the poll is about Hangar Talk...;)

The problem is, how many more people might read Hangar Talk if it was a bit friendlier? I finally gave up on reading Hangar Talk on the old AOPA board because the SNR had gotten so low. There were great av posts in there now and then, but I know I missed a lot of them simply due to lack of time to sift through all the other crap.

Now, I do like to know how all of my PoA friends are doing in general, and that kind of discussion belongs in HT.

alaskaflyer said:
.... I almost exclusively use the new posts feature .... I seldom even look to see what folder the post is actually in.

And therin is a large part of the problem.

FYI Once the issues with the latest upgrade are resolved, we'll be installing the "ignore a forum in new posts" hack.

Dart said:
If a member is such an idiot they don't know how to avoid non-Av subjects in the ONLY non-Av section, then they don't have a sufficient I.Q. to be a pilot anyway. Therefor, they shall be banned.
hmm, i took that personal. who the heck are you with your 13 posts to come in here and say stuff like that!?

The hangar also holds nuggets of information besides political.

smigaldi said:
Too many choices, Chuck. Unfortunetly, your poll will most likely not provide you with anything of statistical significance. You will probably need several polls or the MC could just decide how they want to deal with this issue first and then either pitch it to the users or start your new course of action.

Whatever you do is fine with me.

One thing commonly done is to ask several questions with different choices. You get a preference WITHIN the choices.

Say you have 4 choices A through D.

You ask:

1. Which do you prefer? A, B, C
2. Which do you prefer? A, B, D
3. Which do you prefer? B, C, D
etc.

Some combinations can be eliminated. That gives you an idea of what folks would do IF you limited the choices to those 3/4/5.

The assumption here seems to be that I wanted to make it easy on people? ;-)

Everskyward said:
Sometimes I don't think people realize that the more confrontational they get the likelihood of swaying someone to their side goes down to just about zero, but maybe that's not the objective. :dunno:

Most useful thing anybody's said around here in a while. I tried to say something similar, but I don't think the point got across.

Greebo said:
The assumption here seems to be that I wanted to make it easy on people? ;-)

Well, you could have thrown other factors in and really confused things:

weather
desired salary
choice for dinner

:D

Michael said:
hmm, i took that personal. who the heck are you with your 13 posts to come in here and say stuff like that!?

The hangar also holds nuggets of information besides political.

My aren't you important. Help me out, how many posts do I need to have your ego size?

Here, allow me to repeat, since it bothers you so much that a 13 post member can have an opinion. I still believe it and your post only reinforces that belief.

"Originally Posted by Dart
If a member is such an idiot they don't know how to avoid non-Av subjects in the ONLY non-Av section, then they don't have a sufficient I.Q. to be a pilot anyway. Therefor, they shall be banned."

Hopefully Chucks's new hack will help the emotionally handicapped deal with their discernment problem.

BTW: if your post was tongue-in-cheek and I densely misread then please accept my apology. Otherwise.....

Last edited:
Dart said:
My aren't you important. Help me out, how many posts do I need to have your ego size?

Here, allow me to repeat, since it bothers you so much that a 13 post member can have an opinion. I still believe it and your post only reinforces that belief.

"Originally Posted by Dart
If a member is such an idiot they don't know how to avoid non-Av subjects in the ONLY non-Av section, then they don't have a sufficient I.Q. to be a pilot anyway. Therefor, they shall be banned."

Hopefully Chucks's new hack will help the emotionally handicapped deal with their discernment problem.

the problem i have with you, is the way you refer to others who dont agree with you as idots and emotionally handicapped.

*sigh*

Well, I think that will be about enough.

Two posts deleted already and now we're itching for three...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back