A really dumb accident

I know that in my 182, the POH has you switch from both tanks during takeoff to the right tank for cruise flight then back to both for landing.

I thought all 172's and 182's stay on both except when parking. Why would they have you put it on one tank during cruise?

In any case, the Cherokee doesn't have a both position since it's not gravity-fed like the high wing Cessnas.

I was taught to switch tanks before taxiing and before entering the pattern, and to NOT switch tanks during runup or on final. Something about not betraying a tank that has been faithful.

I thought all 172's and 182's stay on both except when parking.

For cruise, the POHs for the ones I've flown leave it up to the pilot to decide where to set the fuel selector.

Why would they have you put it on one tank during cruise?

When making a flight that's long enough to use everything but the reserve, I like to switch to a single tank while I'm sure there is still enough fuel in the other tank to get me to an airport if my fuel planning turns out to be wrong.

I thought all 172's and 182's stay on both except when parking. Why would they have you put it on one tank during cruise?

In any case, the Cherokee doesn't have a both position since it's not gravity-fed like the high wing Cessnas.

I was taught to switch tanks before taxiing and before entering the pattern, and to NOT switch tanks during runup or on final. Something about not betraying a tank that has been faithful.

The issue is uneven fuel consumption, since it's a gravity feed system and the plane is never perfectly level. So one side tends to feed more, which presumably makes that wing lighter, which in theory makes it fly higher, which makes it feed even more, etc.
So the POH way is to alternate sides during longer cruise flights, which is a royal pain since it's not really needed.
My own (patented :)) trick is to use tiny adjustments in the rudder trim to keep the side with more fuel a bit higher. This is small enough not to add to drag (you can check your GPS GS if unsure), yet sufficient to keep the feed even during long flights.
I have flown lots of non-stop 6+ hour flights in a C-182 using this method, and it works like a charm.

We're probably going to have to change the software, have been evaluating. Bet anything new will have it!

There are options in place on vbulletin. I've been on other forums where it's been implemented.

There's a button above the selector that has to be pressed in before the selector will rotate to the off position. You can switch it from off to left or left to right without pushing it.

My Cherokee 235 with the 5 position fuel selector has an extra "Are you sure?" detent that block the OFF position...BUT it can unintentionally go halfway between tanks so you can have crossfeed entertainment.

I learn more from accident reports when I realize I am capable of making a similar chain of mistakes and try to understand the thought behind each decision.
I learn less when I imagine it won’t happen to me because I am not that stupid.

That drives me up the wall. Instructors quite often know nothing more than what they learned from their instructors, who have very possibly have been wrong. Doesn't anyone do original research these days? (Note my sig)

Bob Gardner

It drives me up the wall as well. I think the biggest problem on the instruction side of aviation is that babies are teaching babies. Unfortunately, instructing typically doesn't pay enough to get many of the grizzled old veterans to do it.

That drives me up the wall. Instructors quite often know nothing more than what they learned from their instructors, who have very possibly have been wrong. Doesn't anyone do original research these days? (Note my sig)

Bob Gardner

What bothered me when I was a student was the times I proved an instructor wrong and then was told "This is the way I was taught and I am not changing anything because I hate instructing." Or something like, "I'll be in the airlines soon so don't bother me."

We're probably going to have to change the software, have been evaluating. Bet anything new will have it!

Why would you change from vBulletin? There are others, but this is still the best, imho.

It drives me up the wall as well. I think the biggest problem on the instruction side of aviation is that babies are teaching babies. Unfortunately, instructing typically doesn't pay enough to get many of the grizzled old veterans to do it.

Wasn't there a thread just a couple of weeks ago from a young person in Scotsdale Az looking to get his PPL and price quotes from the area FBO's were claiming instructor prices at 50 -70 bucks an hour??:dunno:....:rolleyes:

Wasn't there a thread just a couple of weeks ago from a young person in Scotsdale Az looking to get his PPL and price quotes from the area FBO's were claiming instructor prices at 50 -70 bucks an hour??:dunno:....:rolleyes:

That sounds great.

But in real life, there are often days that between illness and weather and maintenance issues and cancellations and whatever, an instructor may end up only flying one or two hours - if any are flown at all.

It's possible to do OK as an instructor, but far from easy.

Not to mention that's what the FBO is charging. The CFI probably gets less than half of that. So, call it $15-$25/hr, and it's unlikely you will consistently get 40 hours a week, so not exactly raking it in.

Back