A real suggestion for Gaston's...

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
So, I really like the new runway markers - My prop likes 'em even more than I do! :yes: They really do reduce the risk of prop strikes for the planes that are parked along the side of the runway.

They're definitely an improvement, but the change brings up two issues:

1) Random people more likely to wander onto the runway 'cuz they can't see where it is.

2) Pilots who are departing don't have as good of a reference to pick an abort point.

1 could be resolved by maybe placing some small warning signs just off the edge of the runway down near the main lodge (where most random people are). Oh, and while we're at it, signs warning vehicle traffic that they're crossing past a runway and watch out just in case someone lands long. I hear it's happened. ;)

2... I'm not quite sure how to resolve. Maybe put some kind of 1/2 and 2/3 or 3/4 markings to the side somewhere? I'm sure someone will have a good suggestion...

Finally, thanks to Gaston's for being responsive to our requests to move the windsock and change the runway markers. I, for one, really appreciate it. Pretty soon, we'll make it perfect. ;)

Finally, thanks to Gaston's for being responsive to our requests to move the windsock and change the runway markers. I, for one, really appreciate it. Pretty soon, we'll make it perfect. ;)
Yes! (And I agree with your other points, too.:D)

I agree something should be done to alert pedestrians.

Maybe some PoA'ers would be interested in a service project to accomplish same.

Whatever it is it shouldn't create an additional hazard or complicate maintenance of the runway.

As far as vehicle traffic is concerned, there are "Aircraft" signs available

warningsign.jpg

I have not been to Gaston's to make a judgment about their runway markers. But I have been to 6Y9 a few times and I really like their markers. They are easy to see from the air and ground

HEHE we could actually use one of those, as there is a road just past the approach end of rwy 18 at HXF. That sign is perfect as we have a Pawnee for towing :)

2... I'm not quite sure how to resolve. Maybe put some kind of 1/2 and 2/3 or 3/4 markings to the side somewhere? I'm sure someone will have a good suggestion...

It won't be perfect until we get an ILS there, with Cat 3A capability, and runway markers every 500 feet. Maybe centerline lighting would help, too.

I agree with the suggestions regarding pedestrians and vehicular traffic warnings but...runway markers?

It's a grass runway. Grass runways need no markers...that's all part of the fun and adventure.

Besides, Gaston's has plenty of trees marking the runway.

I agree with the suggestions regarding pedestrians and vehicular traffic warnings but...runway markers?

It's a grass runway. Grass runways need no markers...that's all part of the fun and adventure.

Besides, Gaston's has plenty of trees marking the runway.

Winner, winner. Chicken dinner! Plus you don't need runway markers when you come in at night. As far as an abort point goes. The "goalposts". That's a pretty big runoff area to the east before the bluff.

Back