A quick question for computer Gurus

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
My computer life is a neverending struggle to keep out all of the trash that my daughter seems to manage to let in, even with all of the filters, anti-virus, and other software enabled on my computer. I now have a popup logon screen for AOL IM that I can't seem to remove entirely. But the most serious problem is I have located several files that were created on a day I was gone, and I cannot remove them. Also, REGEDIT will no longer run on my computer. It starts and then closes immediately.

Any ideas from the knowledgeable?

Windows 98 SE
Pentium 4

Aztec Driver said:
My computer life is a neverending struggle to keep out all of the trash that my daughter seems to manage to let in, even with all of the filters, anti-virus, and other software enabled on my computer. I now have a popup logon screen for AOL IM that I can't seem to remove entirely. But the most serious problem is I have located several files that were created on a day I was gone, and I cannot remove them. Also, REGEDIT will no longer run on my computer. It starts and then closes immediately.

Any ideas from the knowledgeable?

Windows 98 SE
Pentium 4

Start the system in safe mode and delete the offending files. I think you can run regedit in safe mode as well, and if so look for stuff in the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
folder that shouldn't be running and delete it.

How fast is the machine?

If it's reasonably fast (700 Mhz or better), I'd say upgrade to Windows XP.

If it's slower, I'd say replace it.

You've got some seriously old technology with Windows 98.

(Of course, I made the same suggestion to my father. He bought a laptop, and STILL wanted to run the old computer. At least I got him to upgrade the O/S.)

Bryon,

To eliminate some frustration, consider upgrading your PC, or a newer PC that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The built-in firewall and pop-up blocker do a good job. That, coupled with a current version of Norton or McAfee, and a good spyware blocker/removal program will keep most things at bay.

Greg

ggroves said:
Bryon,

To eliminate some frustration, consider upgrading your PC, or a newer PC that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The built-in firewall and pop-up blocker do a good job. That, coupled with a current version of Norton or McAfee, and a good spyware blocker/removal program will keep most things at bay.

Greg

Even with the Service Pack 2 download and Windows XP I'm still plagued with pop ups. I have to run Microsoft antispyware every week or so just to keep the dang thing usable. My next home computer will be a G5.

Frank Browne said:
Even with the Service Pack 2 download and Windows XP I'm still plagued with pop ups. I have to run Microsoft antispyware every week or so just to keep the dang thing usable. My next home computer will be a G5.

I have 6 machines at home between the 4 of us, running 2k and xp. I have 4 aunts/uncles all running 2k and xp. None have popup and spyware problems.

Keep the system patched. Run a decent virus package. Replace IE with Firefox. Excercise a little common sense when browsing or reading email.

So far, has worked for me :)

Frank Browne said:
AntiSpyware should be set to be ALWAYS on and running to offer full protection.

In addition, you need to be sure that you have the latest updates from Microsoft (http://www.windowsupdate.com) current virus protection (I prefer Norton or McAfee), and a routine sweep with SpyBot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/) is a good practice - make sure you get the latest version from time to time too.

Make sure, also, that with Spybot you use the IMMUNIZE function - it will lock out over 6000 various products that will try to infect you if its up to date.

As for the OP - yeah, upgrade to XP is the BEST thing you could do - preferably to a clean hard drive. Use the File Settings and Transfer Wizard to bundle up your data and documents and transfer them to an external USB hard drive or 2nd internal hard drive, and then format the main drivei when installing XP.

if upgrading to XP or upgrading the pc is not an option, then do the above, and with 98... be prepared to live with it. :(

SJP said:
I have 6 machines at home between the 4 of us, running 2k and xp. I have 4 aunts/uncles all running 2k and xp. None have popup and spyware problems.

Keep the system patched. Run a decent virus package. Replace IE with Firefox. Excercise a little common sense when browsing or reading email.

So far, has worked for me :)
Ditto and then some. Approaching 80 workstations and laptops across three states. No spyware or virus issues. All patches up-to-date.

Greebo said:
mikea said:
Yeah, you can upgrade for only $395:
http://www.smalldog.com/product/36474
:rolleyes:
Hey, I never said it was cheap.

But Win 98 is creeping closer and closer to "Unsupported" - it is 7 years old, and that's ANCIENT in computer software... :mad:
Hey, Chuck, if you click on that link you'll see that the $395 price for THIS upgrade is actually a pretty good deal for the long term solution to the problem. :goofy:

Besides, whenever I hear the "unsupported" thing about MS software I think "unsupported" as opposed to the *great* support you can get on the current product? Can any mere civilian call for help?

YeahIknow. Updates.

mikea said:
Hey, Chuck, if you click on that link you'll see that the $395 price for THIS upgrade is actually a pretty good deal for the long term solution to the problem. :goofy:

Besides, whenever I hear the "unsupported" thing about MS software I think "unsupported" as opposed to the *great* support you can get on the current product? Can any mere civilian call for help?

YeahIknow. Updates.

Yes - you can. It varies according the product in question, but for XP :

Unlimited email, instant message or phone based installation support
2 additional general support questions are also included free of charge
Additional support is charged on a case by case basis, at $35 an incident. If the issue turns out to be caused by a bug or issue with the MS code, usually they refund that charge also.

Phone support is 5am to 9pm Pacfic, 6am-3pm Saturday.

You also get Technet, the MSDN Librarys and the Support Knowledge base for free.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=18&y=11&prid=3518&gprid=185522

But it's easier just to slam Microsoft ;)

LOL I had not clicked on the link. Thats cute! Does it do tricks?

I've used Microsoft Support for a number of issues - usually by email - generally they're pretty good, once you get past the initial line of defense.

With two teenagers using my home PC I have experienced your pain.
Linux comes in very handy in these situations. You can boot into Linux and edit the Windows configuration files, delete unwanted files without restriction, and fix most Windows problems without interference from the Windows OS. Since you probably aren't set up for dual booting you will need to get a bootable Linux CD. I'll see if I can find a link to post.
Upgrading is not a panacea. I am a system administrator supporting a network of about 800 Windows servers and PCs. I still use Win 98 (and Linux) at home and I have found no reason to upgrade.

SJP said:
Yes - you can. It varies according the product in question, but for XP :

Unlimited email, instant message or phone based installation support
2 additional general support questions are also included free of charge
Additional support is charged on a case by case basis, at $35 an incident. If the issue turns out to be caused by a bug or issue with the MS code, usually they refund that charge also.
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=18&y=11&prid=3518&gprid=185522

But it's easier just to slam Microsoft ;)

Hmmm. I never tried getting support. I research my problems on my own. Most be really busy folks on the other end of that, wherever they are.

Imagine: "Why am I getting these dirty pictures?"
I'd hate to try to explain how to remove malware on IM or email. I suppose they have boiler plate responses to send.

Is it time limited for the online support? Apple only gives you 90 days unless you spring for Apple Care.

mikea said:
Hmmm. I never tried getting support. I research my problems on my own. Most be really busy folks on the other end of that, wherever they are.

Imagine: "Why am I getting these dirty pictures?"
I'd hate to try to explain how to remove malware on IM or email. I suppose they have boiler plate responses to send.

Is it time limited for the online support? Apple only gives you 90 days unless you spring for Apple Care.

Didn't see anything specific about 'you must call us within 90 days for installation issues' or anything - I know it USED to be that way - you got free support for the first 90 days, then it was per incident.

I have a corporate agreement at work and we have MS guys on site, so I'm kinda spoiled ;)

Back