A previous misdiagnosis is going to show up

D

Distant0726

I’m thinking of starting the ppl journey, but I had a question on the medical exam although I’m not quite sure how to ask it)

A couple of years ago I got divorced, had a little depression, and went to a psychiatrist to make sure all was well. They agreed, probably situational depression and just gave me escitalopram.

That doctor left a short while later and my subsequent visits got weird. Each doctor said I had something different, kept prescribing different things, and eventually said “oh you’re bipolar”

No one outside of that psychiatrist agreed with it. I even stopped going to this practice and went somewhere else where even another psychiatrist said that this was completely unfounded, and we went back to some very mild depressive symptoms, and back to the escitalopram I went for a short while.

I’m off of it now. Every qualified individual says I’m fine. I just have some therapy now to help with some issues that come up and that’s usually by better help. Nothing major. Nothing of real concern.

But the FAA medical has me more than a little worried. For one thing if they see Bipolar that’s a very obvious and very understandable disqualifying factor for a PPL. But other than my family physician does the FAA even look at this? Will it even come up?

I’m trying to determine what actions I need to take. Clearly if this is something that’ll come up with the FAA then I’ll have to figure out how to get the previous “diagnosis” disqualified somehow.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

To be EXTREMELY clear, I have NO intention of EVER lying to the FAA or medical examiner at any point or under any circumstances.

I had a misdiagnosis caused by a bad doctor which has since been confirmed as incorrect by other physicians. My health is fine and confirmed as such, I’m simply concerned that the past misdiagnosis will show up and what I should do about it.
I never sued the previous doctor. I just stopped going and went somewhere else.

Dr Bruce will probably be along to give expert advice. My guess...you will need a HIMS psych to confirm the misdiagnosis of bi-polar...because thats a non starter. The meds you are on I believe are on the approved SSRI list, so that’s good...but I’m guessing HIMS psych and possibly neuro to make sure you’re stable and no cognitive defects from it. That’s Path II. Maybe you can discontinue meds (if your dr thinks you are ok to do so) and go Path I, which would be a much easier route, if your situation allows it.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m actually no longer on any kind of medication, although I approached my previous provider recently and they simply refuse to discuss it.

What was a very minor episodic depression got morphed and warped in to something much greater thanks to some folk who seemed hell bent on diagnosing me with all sorts of things. I even got prescribed many many MANY different drugs since I never saw the same doctor twice.
It would be far easier if I could just ignore everything from them and start afresh

I’m in Texas if it helps.

How long have you been off of the meds? It’s that Bi-polar in your chart that’s gonna screw it up. If you can get that reversed by a HIMS psych (the most trusted psychs to the FAA) BEFORE your medical exam, you could potentially have a relatively quick turn around. If you go and have the exam done and that comes up (which it should on your MedXpress) you will be deferred and playing the FAA waiting game....who will then require the psych anyway when they finally respond to you 4-8 weeks later.

Contact a good HIMS AME, and retain their services. It will be worth every penny. The key is to gather as much info before-hand and submit it all to the FAA before they request it...and only a good HIMS AME knows what you’ll need

I’m in Texas if it helps
Likely does more harm than good.

but seriously, which part?

And a neuropsychologist visit is very likely needed to disprove the bipolar diagnosis. Dr Bruce can comment if this needs to be a HIMS connected visit or not.

A while ago. Probably a year. I actually no longer see a psychiatrist.
Do I just call up a HIMS AME and say “Hey I had this *expletive* of a Doctor in the past so I want to get check out before applying for an FAA medical?”

Is it that simple? (Albeit expensive I’m sure)
It was a year ago Since I saw this errant psychiatrist.

And a neuropsychologist visit is very likely needed to disprove the bipolar diagnosis. Dr Bruce can comment if this needs to be a HIMS connected visit or not.

DFW Area

I want to do this right. But it seems one bad actor has really screwed me up here.
I would never dream of not reporting something but I wish I could easily just write this off

Needs a HIMS Psychiatrist! (Not psychologist- this is not in his ballywick)!

Ok. HIMS Psychiatrist.
So how does this work? Call one, explain that I haven’t seen or needed a psychiatrist in about. A year nor have been taking any kind of medication etc And request an assessment or is it more complicated?

I’m more confused on how to start this process because of a single solitary mistaken diagnosis is basically going to derail everything even when no one else in the world seems to agree with it.

One of the better difficult case AME’s in DFW area is Dr. Stephen Kramer in Frisco

and per this list, he is also a HIMS AME. https://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator/

S
et a consultation appointment with him to start the educuprocess, not exam process. Ask for 1) his guidance on what the required steps are and the documentation to be gathered; and 2) is he willing to be your guide and, importantly, your advocate through this process.

Thank you everyone

I've gone ahead and reached out to Dr Kramer in Frisco to try and explain the circumstances. I even called the former physician to ask them if they would be even willing to discuss it - They aren't.

I'm not kidding myself here, I'm not expecting this to be easy, or to be cheap. And while I would like to fulfil a life long dream of mine, I'm not about to lie to make it happen.

I'm continuing to add pressure to my former provider to ask them to reconsider, and I'm talking to another psychiatrist now to at least get an 'assessment' from them as to what is going on, if only to mount the evidence against the 'individual' who decided to slap everyone with the BPD label - I have come to find out this Dr is notorious for doing this with new patients.

Keep us in the loop as your journey progresses

Thank you everyone

I've gone ahead and reached out to Dr Kramer in Frisco to try and explain the circumstances. I even called the former physician to ask them if they would be even willing to discuss it - They aren't.

I'm not kidding myself here, I'm not expecting this to be easy, or to be cheap. And while I would like to fulfil a life long dream of mine, I'm not about to lie to make it happen.

I'm continuing to add pressure to my former provider to ask them to reconsider, and I'm talking to another psychiatrist now to at least get an 'assessment' from them as to what is going on, if only to mount the evidence against the 'individual' who decided to slap everyone with the BPD label - I have come to find out this Dr is notorious for doing this with new patients.

That’s all well and good, but the FAA doesn’t care. They only care whats in the HIMS psych report. Once diagnosed is always diagnosed until proven otherwise (or in remission) by an FAA trusted agent.

I don’t want to discourage you, but anyone except an FAA trusted agent is more likely to hurt than help the process because you don’t know what they’d need to know and they, in the eyes of the FAA,
lack the pertinent, proven expertise.

That’s all well and good, but the FAA doesn’t care. They only care whats in the HIMS psych report. Once diagnosed is always diagnosed until proven otherwise (or in remission) by an FAA trusted agent.

I don’t want to discourage you, but anyone except an FAA trusted agent is more likely to hurt than help the process because you don’t know what they’d need to know and they, in the eyes of the FAA,
lack the pertinent, proven expertise.

Kramer was listed as a HIMS AME. My hope with talking with my former provider is more of a “please can we just get this sorted out” thing. It would be grand if they would “correct” the misdiagnosis. But it’s more for my peace of mind.

I haven’t heard back from Kramer. My hope is to formulate a plan. If it means even years going to FAA recognizes psychiatrists to confirm “I’m fine” then I accept that. I’m under no illusions that this will be a long and expensive journey. I’m just looking for every little win I can get.

Dr. Kramer is good and should be able to help. Hopefully this is a months thing and not a years thing. But if it is, you might consider getting your private in gliders to begin with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back